ATC SCM 40 - first thoughts

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Or a Supernait
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Neon K: Q. for Rick or Frank -- will a NaimUniti be able to drive ATC SCM 40's adequately -- as I'll be looking at this set-up next year? Thanks!

It's David, as in the signature
emotion-1.gif

I would need to ask a few questions before answering that one accurately. What size is your room? What sort of volume do you listen to your music at? What distance would you be sitting from the speakers? And would you be listening to them across the shorter width of the room, or the longer length?

David, thanks for the reply -- my room is 16x17x9 but opens up onto the Dining area - the attached photo is taken from the middle of the Dining area. I do listen very loud occassionally, but usually in the mid 80 dBs. The speakers are on the slightly longer wall, and the seating position well in from the wall behind me. I think a sealed box will work much better than what I currently have.

A Supernait may indeed a better solution - though if I'm not going the one-box route of the NaimUniti then I'd keep my Transporter and go with an XS, or possibly pre-power.

4203774855_e30a4189ff.jpg

Neon K:

Q. for Rick or Frank -- will a NaimUniti be able to drive ATC SCM 40's adequately -- as I'll be looking at this set-up next year?

Thanks!

Hi Neon K

The Naim Uniti will be fine with the SCM40's as long you are not planning to play at constant disco like levels. As i have stated previously ATC's drive units are very constant thereby allowing an amplifier to deliver it's full power all the time (prior to clipping). The impedence of a speaker is far more important than its efficiency.

The Supernait will work do an even better job with the SCM40's. If you like to play your music loud and can do without the Supernait's features than purely from a power and performance point of view (at similar prices) you should also consider ATC's SIA2-150 MK2 amplifier or the CA2/P1 combination. The SIA2-150 MK2/P1 each feature a gounded source FET amplifier which helps deliver the high power, high current and crucially the high damping factor to keep the speakers in control.

Btw, the SCM40's closed box design and more importantly they are flat and honest which makes them less critical about room positioning so will work alot more effectively than your current speakers.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Neon K:David, thanks for the reply -- my room is 16x17x9 but opens up onto the Dining area - the attached photo is taken from the middle of the Dining area. I do listen very loud occassionally, but usually in the mid 80 dBs. The speakers are on the slightly longer wall, and the seating position well in from the wall behind me. I think a sealed box will work much better than what I currently have.

A Supernait may indeed a better solution - though if I'm not going the one-box route of the Naim Uniti then I'd keep my Transporter and go with an XS, or possibly pre-power.

Many amplifiers will start to become a little unstable at higher volumes (near half way, 12 o'clock position) with their higher frequencies becoming a little ragged and hard sounding, losing sweetness and delicacy. You'd probably have to see for yourself whether the SCM40/Uniti combination can meet your required levels comfortably. If not, and you need the digital input, the SuperNait will do a far better job. But if you're in a position to go with an offboard DAC, Naim's pre/powers will get much more from the SCM40's, as will ATC's pre/power. After all, it's the sort of amplification they've been designed around.

ATC's require high current amplification to work at their best.

A

Anonymous

Dear David and Rick

Thanks for both your replies. I do have a very good DAC in my Logitech Transporter - so maybe I should stick with that - and until I do go Pre/Power I should stick with my Krell Integrated also and start with changing the speakers to SCM 40s. See how that goes -- makes sense to upgrade 1 item at a time - I may find I don't need to go the Naim/ATC amplification route after all if the new Speakers give me what I'm looking for (a more controlled Bass, just not less of it).

Thanks, again - and just as Frank is David, Neon isn't my real name either!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your Krell should be fine for the SCM40's.

You're going to find quite a difference over your CDM1's. The CDM1's were great sounding speakers, but had a slightly 'overwarm', uneven bass. The SCM's will tidy that up - their sealed box won't give you any of those odd sounding bass notes that are twice as loud as all the other ones, just clean, even bass. Their tonal balance will be a little different, and may take a little getting used to, it's just that moving from an overly warm sound to a neutral one is quite a big step, but you'll be glad of the extra detail and openness on offer. It may sound like there's less bass initially, but what you're hearing is a more accurate, even frequency response, something you're not used to at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Wow, you summed up my experiences with my CDM1s in a nut-shell! Your description is as good as I could ever have said.

Bungs in, bungs out, toed-in, straight -- all sounds exactly as you say. In previous abodes I never had any difficulties, but in my current home (of 4 years) I just can't get them to sound right.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought the Krell would've sorted their bass out a little bit though. Having said that, I bought a used Krell multi channel amplifier about 7 years ago to drive a KEF Reference set up, and was quite disappointed. I wasn't able to demo it, but after what I'd hear about Krell it seemed like it was perfect for the job.

I think one of the problems is that the CDM1 is a ported speaker. Ports are usually used to exaggerate the frequencies that the speaker can't reproduce very loudly, which gives the impression of a deeper bass than the speaker can naturally reproduce, but at the same time gives an uneven response, and affects the ability of the amplifier to control the bass driver. Sealed boxes don't suffer from this, but they are a little harder to drive due to lower efficiency.

Neon K:

Dear David and Rick

Thanks for both your replies. I do have a very good DAC in my Logitech Transporter - so maybe I should stick with that - and until I do go Pre/Power I should stick with my Krell Integrated also and start with changing the speakers to SCM 40s. See how that goes -- makes sense to upgrade 1 item at a time - I may find I don't need to go the Naim/ATC amplification route after all if the new Speakers give me what I'm looking for (a more controlled Bass, just not less of it).

Thanks, again - and just as Frank is David, Neon isn't my real name either!

Hi Neon K

Your welcome although i feel that i have to apologise as i did not see in your signature that you already had a very good Krell amplifier.

I would go along with what you have suggested in that upgrade your CDM1's to the SCM40 in the first instance as this move will give you a bigger return your investment. The Krell's quality of power and performance are more than good enough to work with the SCM40's.

The SCM40's will be a significant upgrade over the CDM1's in pratically every area. They feature massively engineered bass and studio Soft Dome units. The studio Soft Dome is capable of covering a frequency range from 300hz to 4khz and achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion, so the reverberant sound field matches the on axis sound which results in a flat frequency response almost anywhere in the room.

The SCM40's performance potential is vast and will accomodate many future additions. Their (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, precise, natural and powerful presentation will enable the qualities of the Krell and other components to shine through by enabling them to breathe.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello, I am interested in these ATC 40 and am wondering if it my chord cpm 2600 would drive correctly. I am selling a pair of proac d15 which I like a lot, but want a more precise sound.

A

Anonymous

I have owned the SCM 40`s for a couple or years driven by a Chord 1200C power amp and Chord CPA4000 pre amp and can assure you that you will not better the 40`s with almost anything other than the ATC actives. I have just sold some 40`s as I wish to go active having owned the active 100`s a while ago. The speakers will be the last thing you will want to change as they are so revealing, in fact they will benefit by having the best source and power amplifier that you can afford. Wadia for front end would be no problem or the best analogue system that you put together the better.

If they had a higher price point and were demonstrated with high end electronics I think they would sell more as the 2k price for them makes them one of the best audio deals around.

they work in small rooms wonderfully with some room treatment, and larger rooms will provide a well filled out sound if a high power amp is used. There is no lack of bass, sound stage is holographic if the recording is correct, all in all a top class speaker.

Go and buy them, you will not be dissapointed.

Cheerz

Alex.

A

Anonymous

I'm keen to demo some actives at some point to replace my 40's. Which actives are you looking at getting?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
benharlley:
I love my ATC as they are heavily engineered, finely finished and straightforward to look at.(it's built in the old school style)

I get absorbed in the visceral grip when i listen to my reggae and hip hop tunes with the SCM40.

Finally the beauty of all ATC speakers is that it goes loud in a controlled fashion.

Off topic but Ben that is some system you've got going on there!

A

Anonymous

Slighly off topic here, but Would you guys consider the ATC's to be on par with some American high end speaker brands in the likes of Wilson Audio, Thiel, Rockport & Aerial Acoustics ?

How about ATC vs the BW, Harbeths, Wilson Benesch & Spendors ?

thanks for the inputs.

french man:Hello, I am interested in these ATC 40 and am wondering if it my chord cpm 2600 would drive correctly. I am selling a pair of proac d15 which I like a lot, but want a more precise sound.

Hi french man

Your Chord Electronics CPM2600 integrated amplifier is more than good enough to be partnered with the SCM40 monitors. The Chord amplifiers with their HF power supplies deliver power which is immense, blistering fast and with vice like grip which will further help in keeping the SCM40's in check. The Chord Electronics amplifiers are unconditionally stable.
emotion-2.gif

The SCM40's monitors feature State Of The Art massively built and engineered studio Soft Dome mid range and bass unit. The Soft Dome is capable of covering 300hz to 4khz and also achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion, so the reverberant soundfield matches the on axis sound which results in a flat frequency response almost anywhere in the room!
emotion-1.gif

The SCM40's have a (amongst other qualities) clear, precise, uncoloured, natural and powerful presentation which will allow the qualities of the CPM2600 to shine through by enabling it to breathe.

Btw, i responded to your email which you sent me last Wednesday effectively informing you of the same.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:
french man:Hello, I am interested in these ATC 40 and am wondering if it my chord cpm 2600 would drive correctly. I am selling a pair of proac d15 which I like a lot, but want a more precise sound.

Hi french man

Your Chord Electronics CPM2600 integrated amplifier is more than good enough to be partnered with the SCM40 monitors. The Chord amplifiers with their HF power supplies deliver power which is immense, blistering fast and with vice like grip which will further help in keeking the SCM40's in check. The Chord Electronics amplifiers are unconditionally stable.
emotion-2.gif

The SCM40's monitors feature State Of The Art massively built and engineered studio Soft Dome mid range and bass unit. The Soft Dome is capable of covering 300hz to 4khz and also achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion, so the reverberant soundfield matches the on axis sound which results in a flat frequency response almost anywhere in the room!
emotion-1.gif

The SCM40's have a (amongst other qualities) clear, precise, uncoloured, natural and powerful presentation which will allow the qualities of the CPM2600 to shine through by enabling it to breathe.

Btw, i responded to your email which you sent me last Wednesday effectively informing you of the same.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Hope all is well!

I know the answer, but how far is the difference between the scm40 and the SCM50s if both speakers will be driven by the 150w ATC int amplifier ?

Cheers.

Noli

nolitan:

Slighly off topic here, but Would you guys consider the ATC's to be on par with some American high end speaker brands in the likes of Wilson Audio, Thiel, Rockport & Aerial Acoustics ?

How about ATC vs the BW, Harbeths, Wilson Benesch & Spendors ?

thanks for the inputs.

Hi noli

Let's look at it this way. Ime amongst the many things that i have learnt about them overs the years is that, ATC designs and manufactures some of the finest and most accurate monitors in the world. ATC has kept to to it's aim of building loudspeakers which employ the most effective of modern engineering principles. They don't respond to competition, instead they respond to advances in technology that enables them to improve their products. Their goal is to make loudspeakers in near perfection in performance as possible by having the lowest possible distortion.

ATC tackles distortion by hand building their own massive, precise and technologically advanced State Of The Art drive units.

Therefore your SCM19's (as with other ATC monitors) will relay soundtracks (irrespective of type and origin) in an uncoloured, natural and powerful manner. They don't make or need excuses. They favour nothing.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much Rick for your responses

I was a bit worried about this association being perhaps a bit "clinical". I will call you as soon as I have sold my proacs d15 and worked my oral english ;-)

I hop you can deliver in France !

all the best !

laurent

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the message Alex. It comforts me, even if the 2600 is not exactly 1200C+CPA 4000
emotion-13.gif

A

Anonymous

dazzler9000:I'm keen to demo some actives at some point to replace my 40's. Which actives are you looking at getting?

I will try the active 20`s as I have not heard them but if they do not do the job for the I will go for the 50`s

Cheerz

Alex.

A

Anonymous

french man:
Thank you very much Rick for your responses

I was a bit worried about this association being perhaps a bit "clinical". I will call you as soon as I have sold my proacs d15 and worked my oral english ;-)

I hop you can deliver in France !

all the best !

laurent

I do not know how or why they are described as clinical, faithful to the source would be how I describe the sound. If it is recorded dry sounding, that is how the speakers will replay it, if it is a warm recording that is how it will sound, they are that good. You will be in good hands with Rick@musicraft, that was where my 40`s came from.

Cheerz,

Alex.

A

Anonymous

Flatoverbrow:
dazzler9000:I'm keen to demo some actives at some point to replace my 40's. Which actives are you looking at getting?

I will try the active 20`s as I have not heard them but if they do not do the job for the I will go for the 50`s

Cheerz

Alex.

Yes, the 20's are the ideal choice for me and placement would be perfect for my room. I would like to try the 50's though, as I want the next speakers I buy to be the last pair I get.

My problem with the 50's, is that one would be quite literally jammed against the wall and the other one in the corner......... One might even be sat back about 20cm from the other, not sure whether this would mess up imaiging etc???

Please let me know what you think of the 20's

dazzler9000:Flatoverbrow:

Cheerz

Alex.

Yes, the 20's are the ideal choice for me and placement would be perfect for my room. I would like to try the 50's though, as I want the next speakers I buy to be the last pair I get.

My problem with the 50's, is that one would be quite literally jammed against the wall and the other one in the corner......... One might even be sat back about 20cm from the other, not sure whether this would mess up imaiging etc???

Please let me know what you think of the 20's

Hi dazzler9000

Are you still worrying about the active 20's/50's?
emotion-2.gif
Relax and chill out man.
emotion-4.gif

Thanks for your support.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

nolitan:MUSICRAFT:

Hi french man

Your Chord Electronics CPM2600 integrated amplifier is more than good enough to be partnered with the SCM40 monitors. The Chord amplifiers with their HF power supplies deliver power which is immense, blistering fast and with vice like grip which will further help in keeking the SCM40's in check. The Chord Electronics amplifiers are unconditionally stable.
emotion-2.gif

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Hope all is well!

I know the answer, but how far is the difference between the scm40 and the SCM50s if both speakers will be driven by the 150w ATC int amplifier ?

Cheers.

Noli

Hi noli

Thanks for your post and i am fine thank you.

The difference between the SCM40 and SCM50 monitors is enormous when driven by the SIA2-150 MK2 or many other quality amplifiers.
emotion-2.gif
Please send me your details and i'll send you an invoice for making me answer what you already knew
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:nolitan:MUSICRAFT:

Hi french man

emotion-2.gif

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hello Rick,

Hope all is well!

Cheers.

Noli

Hi noli

Thanks for your post and i am fine thank you.

The difference between the SCM40 and SCM50 monitors is enormous when driven by the SIA2-150 MK2 or many other quality amplifiers.
emotion-2.gif
Please send me your details and i'll send you an invoice for making me answer what you already knew
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi rick,

Ok thanks! nolitan777@yahoo.com

regards

Noli

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts