ATC SCM 40 - first thoughts

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Ok so a few words about these beasties - They've been on repeat for the last couple of days so although I'm sure they've got some more running in to do (or not if you don't believe in that sort of thing) I've still formed some impressions.

Firstly - lovely to have some bass back in my music. To be fair to the proacs I never gave them the quality stands they probably deserved but, as a lad bought up on mission floorstanders, its nice to have some rumble back again. Not that its too much rumble mind - no mission/MA block rocking party bass here - just a lovely tight lower end (phworr).

Secondly I'm astounded how delicate they can be. I love the detailed presentation of the 110s and I'd sort of assumed I'd have to kiss goodbye to that. This isn't the case at all. They seem to really compliment the Quad mid band and percussion just sounds incredible - snares, hi hats and drums sound like they are being played live in the room. Soundstage is pretty awesome too - they seem to throw lead vocals about three foot higher in the air than the studios.

I was also worried that they'd rip apart some of my more obscure, badly recorded cds or completely expose any MP3s I still had on itunes ( still haven't finished ripping everything into lossless - not my favourite job tbh). This hasn't been a problem and I urge anyone shying away from ATC for this reason to ..well, not shy away for this reason.

Total, complete, 100% keepers. Bloody love 'em, and I'm looking forward to listening to them for a long time. I don't even think they look that bad.

lordmortlock:

Ok so a few words about these beasties - They've been on repeat for the last couple of days so although I'm sure they've got some more running in to do (or not if you don't believe in that sort of thing) I've still formed some impressions.

Firstly - lovely to have some bass back in my music. To be fair to the proacs I never gave them the quality stands they probably deserved but, as a lad bought up on mission floorstanders, its nice to have some rumble back again. Not that its too much rumble mind - no mission/MA block rocking party bass here - just a lovely tight lower end (phworr).

Secondly I'm astounded how delicate they can be. I love the detailed presentation of the 110s and I'd sort of assumed I'd have to kiss goodbye to that. This isn't the case at all. They seem to really compliment the Quad mid band and percussion just sounds incredible - snares, hi hats and drums sound like they are being played live in the room. Soundstage is pretty awesome too - they seem to throw lead vocals about three foot higher in the air than the studios.

I was also worried that they'd rip apart some of my more obscure, badly recorded cds or completely expose any MP3s I still had on itunes ( still haven't finished ripping everything into lossless - not my favourite job tbh). This hasn't been a problem and I urge anyone shying away from ATC for this reason to ..well, not shy away for this reason.

Total, complete, 100% keepers. Bloody love 'em, and I'm looking forward to listening to them for a long time. I don't even think they look that bad.

Hi lml

Good post.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Congrats! :)

Just out of interest how big is the room they are in?

System pics are always interesting too!

Ta

Sweet - good to hear someone who's chuffed with their purchase. They should get more zing-zang (sorry, almost in Blackadder mode there) as they bed in......

Try not to be too judgemental; I have this problem of analysing each item rather than enjoying the music......

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Rick!

I agree PP - its all about the music ultimately... Important to remember that! Pman - my room is about 19' x 12'. One of the problems I have is its a Georgian place with 11' high ceilings and acoustically pretty unforgiving. I'm going to try and post some pics in the my system section now.

Nah I'm kind of with you Mat - compared to Sonus Faber or Focal they aren't exactly lookers. They actually look a lot nicer in the flesh - I like the dimensions and solidity of them. And they sound superb!

A

Anonymous

I love my ATC as they are heavily engineered, finely finished and straightforward to look at.(it's built in the old school style)

I get absorbed in the visceral grip when i listen to my reggae and hip hop tunes with the SCM40.

Finally the beauty of all ATC speakers is that it goes loud in a controlled fashion.

A

Anonymous

They're better looking in the flesh, impressive in a battleship kind of way!

If you want out and out looks and hifi as furniture thats fine make you're own choices. If you want the last word in neutrality and rock solid build quality (6 yr warranty remember) then you'll look at ATC through a different lens and see a different kind of beauty..

A

Anonymous

Hi CD,

Can you update your 40's in your signature collection

lordmortlock:

Cheers Rick!

I agree PP - its all about the music ultimately... Important to remember that! Pman - my room is about 19' x 12'. One of the problems I have is its a Georgian place with 11' high ceilings and acoustically pretty unforgiving. I'm going to try and post some pics in the my system section now.

Nah I'm kind of with you Mat - compared to Sonus Faber or Focal they aren't exactly lookers. They actually look a lot nicer in the flesh - I like the dimensions and solidity of them. And they sound superb!

Hi lordmortlock

Your welcome.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
benharlley: Finally the beauty of all ATC speakers is that it goes loud in a controlled fashion.Aaaah, other than the speaker's ability to do that, it'll also be down to the amplifier to let the speaker do it too.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi MyLord!

Just a quick update. You have had your SCM40 for a while now and I am hoping to demo this make soon, so how do they sound to you now?

Have just bought a Primere i30 amp(100 w) and hope that these speakers will sound brilliant.

Any comment would be most helpful

Thanks a lot

Oakman:

Hi MyLord!

Just a quick update. You have had your SCM40 for a while now and I am hoping to demo this make soon, so how do they sound to you now?

Have just bought a Primere i30 amp(100 w) and hope that these speakers will sound brilliant.

Any comment would be most helpful

Thanks a lot

Hi Oakman

I hope you will not mind me responding to your post.

As i have posted elsewhere i have used and have customers that happily continue to use various ATC speakers (including the SCM40's) with Primare electronics over the years. They are a good match.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey Oakman

Ive probably had about 120 hours use out of the speakers now and I'm really happy with the sound. They seem to do most things really well - They can thump dub and reggage out but also do a delicate job with folky stuff like Lisa Hannigan. Soundstage is superb with lead vocals soaring high and dynamics are excellent.... I've never heard the changes in the pace and strength in Joni Mitchells voice on 'Blue' so clearly. Proper hairs on back of neck moment.

Downsides? They are pretty chunky - they're not exactly going to blend into your sitting room and Cherry has never been my fav finish. I'm not convinced they are the last word in absolute super tight bass either but tbh that could be more down to my 909.

Hope thats useful - definately a speaker to audition!

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Is there anyone with experience matching the Atc Scm 40 with a Supernait ?

And what is the result :)

P.S.

lordmortlock
The scm 40 is now offered black ash too :) though i wish there were other options like maple or walnut ...

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your honest comments as I think your 120 hours is going to give the best review available.

Sounds like a good demo is needed.

Have to say that I do like speakers that are part of the furniture thats why I like Sonus Faber but unfotunately they are too much for my pocket!

Tried the PMC FB1 this week . Certainly looks good but not too sure abouts its involvement.

Also Rick thanks for your confirmation of amp with the ATC's.

Looking forward to the demo with interest.

Cheers all

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
lordmortlock:
Downsides? They are pretty chunky - they're not exactly going to blend into your sitting room and Cherry has never been my fav finish. I'm not convinced they are the last word in absolute super tight bass either but tbh that could be more down to my 909.

Hope thats useful - definately a speaker to audition!

I'm not sure the last line of that post will come across right. When I say definitely a speaker to audition I don't mean 'don't buy blind' I mean 'go and have a listen if you are buying in this price range'. I'm kind of assuming one doesn't buy a 2.5k speaker blind...

Let me put it another way. I'm constantly thinking of upgrading my kit, constantly listening to kit I've not heard before when possible - scouring classifieds and ebay for the next thing to get excited about. Anything I buy/change from now on will need to compliment the atcs.

They aren't going anywhere. I plan to build my hifi round them for a long time.

I'd love to know what you think when you've heard them. They'll eat the pmcs for breakfast imo.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Evlampi:
The scm 40 is now offered black ash too :) though i wish there were other options like maple or walnut ..

I've never been mad on black for some reason. They'd look lovely in Maple though. Or the piano gloss Yew finish from the anniversary '50s

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:
They aren't going anywhere. I plan to build my hifi round them for a long time.

...until you hear the Monitor Audio PL300
emotion-5.gif

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Igglebert, I`ve listened to the platinums many times ... and i do not think it is something special - except the look :)

To be honest for me the look of these speakers is maybe the only really good thing about them :)

If I was to audition speakers in this price range ... MA Platinum won`t be in my list :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts