ATC SCM 40 - first thoughts

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

opps, sorry, in my last post I said thanks to Frank but it was meant for David from Frank Harvey Hi-Fi! Sorry about that.

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Still awaiting my SIA2-150 & 40's. I have been rather confused about the tri-wiring thing & have not had a response from ATC. I have at last managed to find a small indistinct rear-view of the amp. on the web (anyone know of a clear one ?) & I notice thare are only 4 speaker terninals. I suppose I had been expecting 12. However someone suggested the tri-wire option was there to accomodate tri-amping and that if you don't have 3 separate power amps. all you need to do is cable directly to the bass driver & then jump to the mid & then the tweeter.

I have decided to get some Atlas Hyper 2 & 4 Atlas jumpers. Can anyone confirm that the jumpers should be z to z ?

Thanks.

koolkeith:

Still awaiting my SIA2-150 & 40's. I have been rather confused about the tri-wiring thing & have not had a response from ATC. I have at last managed to find a small indistinct rear-view of the amp. on the web (anyone know of a clear one ?) & I notice thare are only 4 speaker terninals. I suppose I had been expecting 12. However someone suggested the tri-wire option was there to accomodate tri-amping and that if you don't have 3 separate power amps. all you need to do is cable directly to the bass driver & then jump to the mid & then the tweeter.

I have decided to get some Atlas Hyper 2 & 4 Atlas jumpers. Can anyone confirm that the jumpers should be z to z ?

Thanks.

Hi koolkeith

The SIA2-150 has 4 speaker terminals. You can still tri-wire however you'll need to join the speaker cables at the amplifier end (not forgetting to remove the links on the speaker terminals).

Ime the best way to wire the SIA2-150 MK1/MK2 to the SCM40's is to use single wire. I have mostly use a speaker cable that costs just over £3/m in the years that i have been dealing with ATC products. Simple!
emotion-2.gif

Btw, what does your dealer suggest?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Rick - he suggests Vovox ? bi-wire + 2 jumpers, but, it is expensive. Do you use the ATC suuplied jumpers & is it a z plug ?

Thanks

koolkeith:

Rick - he suggests Vovox ? bi-wire + 2 jumpers, but, it is expensive. Do you use the ATC suuplied jumpers & is it a z plug ?

Thanks

Hi koolkeith

Thanks for your reply.

I will still suggest that you single wire the SIA2-150 MK2 to the SCM40's using a modestly priced cable and also use the supplied ATC links which are the ones that i have always used.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
David M:opps, sorry, in my last post I said thanks to Frank but it was meant for David from Frank Harvey Hi-Fi! Sorry about that.No problem David. It's a slow process, but I think everyone's slowly getting used to it
emotion-1.gif

I've always preferred to single wire bi-wireable speakers rather than bi-wire with lesser cable myself - I can't see tri-wireable speakers being any different. Although in our demo room we bi-wire and use Chord jumpers for the 3rd set of inputs.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
If it's any help my Ruarks have three sets of posts and I biwire in a 2-4 configuration with homemade jumpers (some old Black Rhodium S300) between the bass and mid posts.

A

Anonymous

Well, My 40's have finally arrived. I will set them up this weekend and post a full report.

regards everyone,

david

David M:

Well, My 40's have finally arrived. I will set them up this weekend and post a full report.

regards everyone,

david

Hi David

It's great that you have received your SCM40's.
emotion-1.gif
I look foward to reading your about views on them.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

rick

ive just puchased some scm11's from a well known aution site for £549 inc p&p they are in mint condition ive only had them since last night & allready very impressed with over my old speakers which i thought were fantastic speakers (b&w 685's)

for those out there worried about puchasing them because people have said that they need a lot amp power to get the best out of them don't worry as im only using an old arcam alpha2 which is rated at 30/40 watts at the moment while im waiting for my roksan kandy k2 to be repaired.

ive found no need to turn up the volume any more than had to when i had the b&w's. the bass is outstanding the highs/mid are smooth and don't think speakers have been run in yet either as they are only 4 months old so can only get better.

regards 80's boy.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:There is a large benefit for going for the same speaker as a centre as you have for the left and right. Panning effects are more convincing, and any voices that are being distributed between the front 3 speakers due to changing camera angles also sound 'right', rather than the way they normally change in timbre when using most supposedly 'matching' centres. Worth a try.

I fully agree David.

I originally used SCM35 (FL/FR) with a C1CA centre and 2 pairs of SCM7 for the rear L/R and surround L/R. The panning across the front wasn't right and simply didn't work in my opinion, so I purchased another pair of SCM7 for the front L/R of the cinema system. The SCM7 has the exact same drive units as the C1. The cinema sound is FAR more cohesive now! I just use the 35's for stereo listening.

A

Anonymous

koolkeith:However someone suggested the tri-wire option was there to accomodate tri-amping and that if you don't have 3 separate power amps. all you need to do is cable directly to the bass driver & then jump to the mid & then the tweeter.
That would be single-wired.

Bi-wire or Tri-wire is having separate lengths of cable from each pair of binding posts at the speaker going back to the amplifier terminals.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's one of the reasons that M&K tend to outperform many hi-fi speaker packages - their speaker set ups are always the same speaker across the front, just as it would be in the movie mastering studios/suites.

A

Anonymous

80s boy:for those out there worried about puchasing them because people have said that they need a lot amp power to get the best out of them don't worry as im only using an old arcam alpha2 which is rated at 30/40 watts at the moment while im waiting for my roksan kandy k2 to be repaired.

Exactly how Rick @ Musicraft - for me, THE ATC font of all knowledge - describes them. Contrary to other opinions, and great to see this backed up. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Oh, and Rick - they have opened up to a lovely sound. I thought they would be critical of older recordings but am wrong. I had Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac from 1975 on last night and sooo sweet.

A

Anonymous

GRAHAM_ THOMAS

how bizarre b4 i looked at this thread again i thoughti would put on fleetwood mac's fleetwood mac on thinking how good it sounds.I was expecting it to sound poor considering reviews about the atc's showing up poor sounding albums it sounds fantastic.

just listened to gorillaz first album WOW.

bye the way how long have you had your speaker's for.

regards 80's boy

80s boy:

rick

ive just puchased some scm11's from a well known aution site for £549 inc p&p they are in mint condition ive only had them since last night & allready very impressed with over my old speakers which i thought were fantastic speakers (b&w 685's)

for those out there worried about puchasing them because people have said that they need a lot amp power to get the best out of them don't worry as im only using an old arcam alpha2 which is rated at 30/40 watts at the moment while im waiting for my roksan kandy k2 to be repaired.

ive found no need to turn up the volume any more than had to when i had the b&w's. the bass is outstanding the highs/mid are smooth and don't think speakers have been run in yet either as they are only 4 months old so can only get better.

regards 80's boy.

Hi 80s boy

Thanks for your post.

I am glad that you are enjoying the performance of your new SCM11's. As you have have also discovered the ATC's can be used safely with amplifiers that are modestly priced/powered with good results.

The ATC drive units are very constant allowing the amplifier to deliver it's full power all the time (prior to clipping). The impedence is far more important than the efficiency. ATC's distortion levels are low and as you get used to the SCM11's you'll probably find yourself listening to them at even lower levels than you are now.

The SCM11's uncoloured, natural and powerful performmance is enabling the qualities of your components to shine through by enabling them to breathe. The lower it distorts the more natural it sounds.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
On Wednesday I got new 40's & the CA2/P1.amps. as a replacement for 11's & Densen pre/power. Difficult not to resort to the usual cliches but so far everything sounds vastly better. I always think that testimonials from punters are of much less value than those of dealers such as Rick or David who have usually heard much more eq. but, unless you are downsizing, I can't imagine you would be disappointed by following my path. I know that ATC advocate going active and maybe one day I'll get there (I've never heard actives are they that much better ?) but in the meantime what I've got will do fine. Of course I feel the need to feed them with something better than my modest Arcam CD & Beresford streaming. God I want a Linn Akurate !

A

Anonymous

80s boy:
GRAHAM_ THOMAS

how bizarre b4 i looked at this thread again i thoughti would put on fleetwood mac's fleetwood mac on thinking how good it sounds.I was expecting it to sound poor considering reviews about the atc's showing up poor sounding albums it sounds fantastic.

just listened to gorillaz first album WOW.

bye the way how long have you had your speaker's for.

regards 80's boy

Hi 80s Boy - about 4 months now. What a coincidence eh? If you're currently playing Johannes Schmoelling's 'A Thousand Times' then that would be bizarre!

Enjoy!
emotion-1.gif

koolkeith:On Wednesday I got new 40's & the CA2/P1.amps. as a replacement for 11's & Densen pre/power. Difficult not to resort to the usual cliches but so far everything sounds vastly better. I always think that testimonials from punters are of much less value than those of dealers such as Rick or David who have usually heard much more eq. but, unless you are downsizing, I can't imagine you would be disappointed by following my path. I know that ATC advocate going active and maybe one day I'll get there (I've never heard actives are they that much better ?) but in the meantime what I've got will do fine. Of course I feel the need to feed them with something better than my modest Arcam CD & Beresford streaming. God I want a Linn Akurate !

Hi koolkeith

Your welcome.

I am glad that you are happy with your new ATC components. Yes, the ATC actives are signifiantly better in many areas
emotion-2.gif
however i agree with you that in the meantime your existing components are just fine.
emotion-1.gif
Anyway i hope that you will enjoy the performance of your new components for many years to come. ATC inspires confidence.

Btw, please don't take this the wrong way however i believe that end users views (such as my clients and in this instance where ATC is concerned) are equally valuable as mine are.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Graham_Thomas:80s boy:for those out there worried about puchasing them because people have said that they need a lot amp power to get the best out of them don't worry as im only using an old arcam alpha2 which is rated at 30/40 watts at the moment while im waiting for my roksan kandy k2 to be repaired. Exactly how Rick @ Musicraft - for me, THE ATC font of all knowledge - describes them. Contrary to other opinions, and great to see this backed up. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Oh, and Rick - they have opened up to a lovely sound. I thought they would be critical of older recordings but am wrong. I had Fleetwood Mac's Fleetwood Mac from 1975 on last night and sooo sweet.

Hi Graham_Thomas

I am glad that you are enjoying the performance of your SCM11's.
emotion-1.gif
The lower it distorts the more natural it sounds.
emotion-5.gif

Thanks for your kind words and support.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Q. for Rick or Frank -- will a NaimUniti be able to drive ATC SCM 40's adequately -- as I'll be looking at this set-up next year?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And to you too Rick.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Neon K:Q. for Rick or Frank -- will a NaimUniti be able to drive ATC SCM 40's adequately -- as I'll be looking at this set-up next year?

You might get two answers there.............

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Neon K: Q. for Rick or Frank -- will a NaimUniti be able to drive ATC SCM 40's adequately -- as I'll be looking at this set-up next year?

Thanks!

It's David, as in the signature
emotion-1.gif

I would need to ask a few questions before answering that one accurately. What size is your room? What sort of volume do you listen to your music at? What distance would you be sitting from the speakers? And would you be listening to them across the shorter width of the room, or the longer length?

At low or medium voumes you'll be fine. Higher volumes and more demanding music require gutsier amplification that will keep it's composure when driving speakers like the ATC's which are a little more demanding. The harder the amplifier has to work, the quicker it's going to reach it's limits, compromising sound quality, and reducing it's dynamic headroom.

While sealed cabinet speakers have a smoother in room bass response which sounds more natural, the trade off is a drop in efficiency, hence their 85dB rating, compared to the average 88-90dB.

Overall, I'd say the Uniti will drive them adequately. You could always add a power amplifier at a later date if you needed to. But then if you were going to do that, I'd be recommending Naim and ATC pre/power combinations from the off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts