At home or at the Cinema- Which do you prefer??

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Just sitting watching Robin Hood on Blu Ray the other night. Which is 1 of the 1st Blu Rays i have ever watched. Got me to thinking.....I would far rather wait for the big movies to hit Blu Ray and Sky HD than go to my local Cinema. Yes the big screen in the theater is a sight to behold. The Popcorn crunching in your lug, people going in and out and the cost of 2 or more of you going and eating all the overpriced sweets and snacks are all minus factors in my opinion.

I sat there with a cup of coffee and my favourite snacks with everything just the way i like it and watched the tale unfold before me on a 42ins Plasma/

The whole sound experience at the local Picture house is not a patch on my current system. Rear effects do not have any effect. In fact on my last visit to the Cinema i was really struggling to hear any rear effects panning at all (Green Zone- Matt Damon).

When the battle scenes were in full flight and the bows were twanging and the arrows whooshing past the invaders in the castle in the opening scenes of Robin Hood you really felt the arrows screaming past you from the front of the room to the back and across you as they took another soldier to the bitter end!!

Am i alone in this or do Home Cinema people like you and me still enjoy a trip to their local Cinema?

I am really pleased with my system and am amazed at the sheer quality available right there in our front rooms. Whats more it is available anytime we choose with any other treats or preferences we like.

I am not sating i am going to stop my infrequent trips to the Cinema i will certainly be considering....Can i wait until this comes onto a format that can be viewed in my own front room??

Am I alone on this??

The choice as they say is yours...!!

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
i'm with you for exactly the same reasons. Picture is ok at the cinema but the sound was always terrible. The projectionist at my old 10 screen was only just out of nappies and like many (but not all) young people on a diet of low bit rate mp3, didn't seem to grasp the idea of sound quality. For him sadly, louder meant better.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
It all changed for me when we had our kids. Suddenly, it wasn't easy to go out to the cinema anymore. This was one of the key factors in making the home experience as good as possible.

Now the kids are older, cinema-going revolves around their interests, but it's a very hit and miss experience. The plethora of screens means that sometimes you're looking up at a postage stamp instead of getting a large-scale experience. I had a ghastly experience on a rainy afternoon in Southampton, watching Star Trek whilst practically lying on my back in the front row!

Factor in the cost and it has to be home viewing every time, I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

PQ - Home

PQ - Imersion wise - Cinema - you just can't beat a massive screen for cinematic affect

SQ - precision - Home

SQ - movie-esque - Cinema. I have a beefy AV amp, big floorstanders, BIIIG sub - but I've never managed to get that really gutteral bass sounding centre that you get in decent cinemas, i suppose its a law of physics, the cinema has a whole array of large speakers making up the centre, vs at home a much much smaller centre, and help from the sub.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Home is best........

Cheaper.....

Can see the whole screen........

In centre of the action, sound wise.......

No teenagers talking throughout the film!!!!!!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

My Home cinema every time,except for the odd exception say a 3D movie then for me the cinema would be the place to go

That said as I use a projector that isn't 3D capable, and I have no intention of changing my whole system for something that may turn out to be a gimmick, then 3D on a projector at Home might actually be better than the cinema

For all AV fans out there, if you can get a dedicated room then get a projector, nothing can beat it , not even your local flea pit

No travelling ,no q in the rain, no people coming and going, no whispering and paper rustling,and the movie start time is at your convenience

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Home is best........

Cheaper.....

Can see the whole screen........

In centre of the action, sound wise.......

No teenagers talking throughout the film!!!!!!
emotion-5.gif

Absolutley!

Not forgetting the glass of wine/beer
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Used to go until I watched the expendibles, I almost walked out, except I just bought a beer.

And now that Dave and others at frank harvey hooked a brother up, My system KILLLLLLLSS the overly loud no bass cinema.

I can watch movies without much volume, be surrounded in sound and feel a thump of bass, without my ears bleeding.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
So i think everyone agrees (mostly!!) sq in the main is always better at home!! For those 3d fans i think they should keep on going to the cinema as that seems to be the only way it works!!

I think cinema has its own charm. I love watching movies on the big screen with big sound. If I miss any movie at the cinema, I don't mind it, as I know I can watch it at home with an a similar experience - of course the buttkicker makes the experience even more exciting!
emotion-5.gif

But I make it a point to watch the IMAX films on an IMAX screen (like Avatar & The Dark Knight) - not mainstream films shown on IMAX screen. There's no way a home cinema can compete with an IMAX experience.

I don't think I would ever stop going to the cinema, no matter how good my home cinema system is.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:
I think cinema has its own charm. I love watching movies on the big screen with big sound. If I miss any movie at the cinema, I don't mind it, as I know I can watch it at home with an a similar experience - of course the buttkicker makes the experience even more exciting!
emotion-5.gif

Does that feel like you are in a rodeo?
emotion-18.gif

Ronald Archiebald:bigboss:

emotion-5.gif

Does that feel like you are in a rodeo?
emotion-18.gif

Yup, something like that!
emotion-2.gif

Bryce%20rodeo%207.jpg

A

Anonymous

bigboss: There's no way a home cinema can compete with an IMAX experience.

ssoooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

can`t agree with that at all
emotion-5.gif

get a good room and a good AV system and I`m of the opinion any home cinema can knock the spots off any imax

and that has nothing to do with the best ushette and beer on tap either
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Personally the only reason to go to the cinema is to keep the Girlfriend quiet for a bit.

In addtion I am not impressed with home 3D. I find you need to be immersed in the film for it to work properly. The Imax HD 3D tour of the Universe at the 'Kennedy Space Centre' blew my tiny mind!!!!

A

Anonymous

bigboss:

emotion-5.gif

But I make it a point to watch the IMAX films on an IMAX screen (like Avatar & The Dark Knight) - not mainstream films shown on IMAX screen. There's no way a home cinema can compete with an IMAX experience.

I don't think I would ever stop going to the cinema, no matter how good my home cinema system is.

Yep, I tend to agree with BigBoss. There is nothing like watching movies on a big screen at the cinema. It does have a certain charm and perhaps nostalgia which cannot be reproduced at home (no matter how good your AV kit is). I think that due to the incredible technological and economic advances in Home Cinema equipment it is very difficult to compare the two in areas such as precision and detail. Also, by our very nature (AV enthusiasts), we strive for a certain amount of perfection when it comes to our cinematic audio visual experiences. This is perhaps not possible to achive anymore at your average Odeon. But I dont think it is really all about that when you go to the movies. After seeing a good movie at my local cinema, its great to sit down at home and watch it on a (relatively) big screen, with Blu-ray quality and enjoy all the visual and audio detail that were lost first time round.

Can't disagree about the cost though
emotion-12.gif
. You need a small fortune to take the family, but we'll still be the first in the queue come November 19th when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 hits the screen.......'Expelleramus'!!!!
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
nicholasc1585:Can't disagree about the cost though
emotion-12.gif
. You need a small fortune to take the family, but we'll still be the first in the queue come November 19th when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 hits the screen.......'Expelleramus'!!!
emotion-2.gif

In 2D, of course, cos they couldn't get the 3D retrofit done in time.

A

Anonymous

Prefer it at home.

Don't normally go the pictures. Usually full of kids playing with their mobile phones, laughing and giggling, constantly getting up and down (especially if its a horror type film (like saw) for some reason),

Went to the cinema for the first time in years a few weeks ago to see inception. Had an argument with the mrs on the way there as I wouldnt stop on a hill to put a dying bird on the verge, then as it was the 1st night of the expendables the car park was full and we had to park in a retail car park, Cost a fortune to get in. The film was dissapointing. Then when we got back to the car at 11:15pm we found we had been locked into the car park.

So yes .....home cinema for me.

I think my sound system is better too.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
barnsleydave:
Prefer it at home.

Don't normally go the pictures. Usually full of kids playing with their mobile phones, laughing and giggling, constantly getting up and down (especially if its a horror type film (like saw) for some reason),

Went to the cinema for the first time in years a few weeks ago to see inception. Had an argument with the mrs on the way there as I wouldnt stop on a hill to put a dying bird on the verge, then as it was the 1st night of the expendables the car park was full and we had to park in a retail car park, Cost a fortune to get in. The film was dissapointing. Then when we got back to the car at 11:15pm we found we had been locked into the car park.

So yes .....home cinema for me.

I think my sound system is better too.

By, it's grim up north!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts