At home or at the Cinema- Which do you prefer??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I do prefer the home Blue Ray AV experience out of the two.
The impact and steering effects off my system is far better than even the best local Leeds cinemas.
I can also do without the coughing, talking, popcorn munching distractions of the public.
Oh and the drinks, company and snacks at home are amazing, lucky me!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

nicholasc1585:Can't disagree about the cost though
emotion-12.gif
. You need a small fortune to take the family, but we'll still be the first in the queue come November 19th when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 hits the screen.......'Expelleramus'!!!
emotion-2.gif

In 2D, of course, cos they couldn't get the 3D retrofit done in time.

Quite correct Andrew, but the 'Magic' will still be there! Haha
emotion-5.gif

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Am thinking of the last time I went to a cinema. Had to tell off a group of 15 year old hoddies behind me to stop chatting loudly and answering their mobile phones then wonder whether they would be waiting outside for me afterwards. Another time before that the couple in front of me slurped their way through a chinese takeaway during the film - home cinema for me every time!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

nicholasc1585:Quite correct Andrew, but the 'Magic' will still be there! Haha
emotion-5.gif

I see what you did there

I guess my Pulitzer Prize will be in the post?
emotion-5.gif

And who says 'Dave is the Home of Witty Banter'!! Haha
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

at home, i love nothing more than settling down to watch a few blu-rays, especially when its raining
emotion-11.gif

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
It is quite something that technology especially av tech, has come so far in such a short space of time grdunn mentioned it in another thread to me. "just wait till you pop in your 1st blu ray for the audio....." He was quite right. Cinemas had better hope that 3d catches on or there is going to be a lower audience for them. I myself am blown away by the av we have in our front rooms right now. It didnt seem that long ago i bought a Sherwood R125 RDS to play my Aiwa HXV 4500 nicam video on. I was amazed at the "surround sound" achieved by a stereo source as Laser Disc was too expensive and media not readily available from the high St. I tried for years to get a flawless performance from the above equipment spending lots of money on floorstanding speakers for the rear channels!! Seems unbelievable now!!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Prefer the cinema, but only when the projector and sound system are setup correctly. And other members of the audience don't jabber; don't sit in front you texting with a 500,000lm-bright cellphone; slurp drinks; rustle crisp packets and/or rattle Maltesers boxes; arrive 10mins after the film has started; bring their badly behaved/noisy kids because they're too tight to get a babysitter.

All of which, these days, tends to limit cinema-going to the BFI or IMAX.

A

Anonymous

At home.

Better picture, no kids kicking your seat, no sharing arm rests with some random, sit where you want, you're feet dont stick to the floor to what i hope, is pepsi (not sure about back row) and best of all, you can drink beer!!!

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I agree with most people that the sound and picture quality can be lacking at the cinema, but as an experience I prefer going out to watch films. I love the ambience, the size of the screen, a big box of popcorn, and waiting for the lights to go down and the curtains to open, never quite knowing when that'll happen, oh the suspense!
emotion-3.gif

There are considerable downsides though, but as a shift worker if I want to see a film I can easily go on a weekday when it's quieter, and usually not a kid in sight
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I have not been to the cinema for about 10 years and i only got really interested in home cinema systems about 8 years ago.

So i cannot compare mine to the sound there, i did watch avatar in a theatre, and the sound system in there was definitely not better than mine.

A

Anonymous

I love watching films at home thats why I'm investing in a 50'' panny screen and blu ray player,the last film i started to watch at the cinny was JAWS [thats the first one] just got way too noisy for me,I have to have complete silence to concentrate,It's comforting to know that so many of you feel that there's to much disturbance,I think they should do special quiet days for the normal people who just want to watch a good film.what films do people prefer I love special effects,visual and audio like star wars and transformers.

A

Anonymous

stevei clem:what films do people prefer I love special effects,visual and audio like star wars and transformers.

Stevei,

Check out some great threads on this theme in the "This week I have mostly been listening to/watching... " Forum section.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just watched Blair Witch Project Blu-ray on home cinema and projector - I remember it being scary at the cinema when I first saw it, but this time even my 10-year old couldn't see what the fuss was all about. ps. Why put this film on blu-ray? - 4x3 screen size, DTS-HD but for what...oh and four alternative poor endings. Should come with a warning!

Otherwise, for my french wife, she prefers the subtitled blu-ray at home to the inaudible script and overly loud soundtrack at the cinema. We've even managed to recreate the sticky popcorn floor and noisy kids!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts