Asus Transformer Prime - a worthy iPad beater

I went round to Currys today & checked out the Android tablets on display. I must say, Asus has a big winner in the form of Transformer Prime. It's lighter & slimmer than the iPad and has gorgeous premium looks with an equally gorgeous keyboard. The screen is super slick, at least as good as the iPad's (if not better) & far better than the Sony, Samsung & Motorola offerings on display.

Android now has a decent collection of apps, although not as extensive as iOS.

If Asus is able to make enough tablets to keep up with demand, I can see a serious dent in iPad's market share this year.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
This is good to hear, Bigboss. I've recently been looking at the Android offerings (I've always ignored the Ipad due to the lack of Flash support) and I was really hoping that the Asus Prime would offer a real challenge to Apple.

The tablet market seems to be evolving so quickly right now that it's hard to know where it's going!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I bought my 9 year old daughter a Toshiba Android tablet for Christmas and she's barely had it out of her hands - my wife has a Dell XPS laptop but has taken to using the tablet at night for games etc as it's just so easy to use and so portable.
I'm off to the States in May and will look to buy an Asus Prime to replace my laptop which is slowly grinding to a halt - having trawled the Android market there are loads of free/ very cheap apps which do exactly what i want/need.

I have used an Ipad and can see the initial attraction as it is very slick....but the Android tablets are catching up VERY quickly and the App market is keeping similar pace.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
had my prime since new years eve when dixons accidently shipped early, great peice of kit, had the original asus transformer which i bought over the ipad but the new one is a lot slicker, smaller build and faster chip set. i am really please with it and would recomend it to anyone. now running ics as well def bonus

I agree. I think ultrabooks will replace laptops once higher capacity SSDs will become the norm. Tablets have managed to create a sector that was non-existent until the iPad came. It's heartening to see manufacturers experimenting with tablet designs & coming up with innovations like the Asus Transformer with keyboard, the Padfone & Motorola's phone with laptop dock. I can see tablets entirely replaced by phones with a tablet accessory powered by your phone (i.e, better designs of the padfone).

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There not been a few pretty large bugs with the Transformer Prime thats GPS and WiFi related? They also kindly locked the bootloader on release which wasn't overly helpful. I bought a galaxy tab 8.9 on boxing day and it's a pretty solid item. Just waiting for ICS now.

A

Anonymous

I have one, I love it. Cannot fault it. The perfect hybrid of laptop and pad. Congratulations to Asus! :)

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i do like the idea of a tablet can you lkoad vlc player on any of these so i can stream vob. files to them and play full dvds over my network. i really dont want to do anyconverting

A

Anonymous

Ive been following the news of the Asus Transformer Prime and im still undecided on what tablet to buy.

The prime as had its fair share of bugs and this is becouse they released it too early and dident do inough development on it.

Its been hard to get hold of in the UK and some suppliers have pulled it from the shelves due to its buggy problems.

So ive got £500 and i aint parting with it until they sort the prime out or something better comes along.

If the Orig Transformer dropped to below £300 i would purchase that as its more sorted than the prime.

Tangerine dream said:
Ive been following the news of the Asus Transformer Prime and im still undecided on what tablet to buy.

The prime as had its fair share of bugs and this is becouse they released it too early and dident do inough development on it.

Its been hard to get hold of in the UK and some suppliers have pulled it from the shelves due to its buggy problems.

So ive got £500 and i aint parting with it until they sort the prime out or something better comes along.

If the Orig Transformer dropped to below £300 i would purchase that as its more sorted than the prime.

Transformer Prime's updated version will be on sale soon, which solves the current model's issues:

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/09/new-higher-end-asus-transformer-prime-tf700t-with-full-1080p-hd-display-revealed/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts