Asus Transformer Prime

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The Asus Transformer Prime is going to take tablets to a whole new level when it comes out next month. When you add up the storage it can currently hold (128GB on board + another 128GB on dock), and in the next couple of months this will go up to 448GB (192GB onboard + another 256GB on dock) when the memory cards get their next size upgrade.

It is also the first tablet to be able to play video at Blu-Ray quality with support for 1080p H264 at 40Mbs

The spec is

- 10.1" 1200x800 IPS screen

- Quad-core 1.3Ghz A9 processor

- 1GB ram

- 64GB flash

- micro SDXC slot (currently up to 64GB)

- SDHC slot on dock (currently up to 128GB)

- 8MP front camera, 1.2MP rear

- microHDMI slot

- 8.3mm thick

- 586g

- 12 hours battery (tablet) + 6 hours (dock)

Yes, I've been reading about it. It seems strange that the supposed "big guns" (Samsung, Motorola & HTC) haven't got it right yet. Asus has been a welcome alternative with some very refreshing ideas, a true contender for Apple. I also expect the 2nd generation Sony tablets to do well when they arrive.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
This is more a rival for the Ipad3 when it comes out I think.

As SDXC card capacities get bigger eventually Apple will have to think about adding a card slot.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Betcha it flops.

Willing to put down ten buckets of air (buckets not included).

(will be more than happy to eat my words if I'm wrong - would be good to have some competition in the tablet market)

professorhat said:
Betcha it flops.

Willing to put down ten buckets of air (buckets not included).

(will be more than happy to eat my words if I'm wrong - would be good to have some competition in the tablet market)

Asus Eee Pad Transformer was a hit, even in sales. It exceeded manifacturer's expectations. Can't find a reason why e Prime should flop.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hmm, a hit compared to other Android tablets maybe, but the iPad still has complete domination of the tablet market and will do for some time (IMHO).

As I say, I'll happily be proved wrong.

I don't think it's fair to compare success of other tablets by seeing if they surpass sales of the iPad. The biggest contributor for success of the iPad is its App store. The number of apps designed for iPad was far more than the Android market. That's why I bought the iPad 2. That's changing now.

The real challenge on those numbers will start around 2013 I think. Just like how Samsung surpassed iPhone this year. Without doubt, the iPad will be surpassed because of the cheap Android tablets like Amazon Fire & Novo7 (although that won't eat into the iPad territory as they're targeting a segment who wouldn't have bought the iPad in the first place).

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
Is SDXC fast enough though? It maxes out at 20MB/s

The latest SDXC cards support transfer rates up to 50MB/s, the next generation are touted to support up the 312MB/s

20MB/s is fast enough anyway, you're only going to store video/audio on them.

A

Anonymous

The asus doesn't have 3G, so if you're out and about with it you'll have to make do with wifi hotspots for internet use, that will be a dealbreaker for many in my opinion..

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
rubberrobin said:
The asus doesn't have 3G, so if you're out and about with it you'll have to make do with wifi hotspots for internet use, that will be a dealbreaker for many in my opinion..

You do not have to have embedded 3G to get Internet acess while out and about, MiFi dongles are pretty cheap and you can service several devices from one of them.

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
AnotherJoe said:
If your desperate for 3G, its android so you can use your phones 3G connection by tethering.

+1. I don't see any point in going for a iPad 3G data plan as I dont use it outside so frwquently. So I use mobile tethering to connect the iPad.

+another 1 - if you ask me this all but nullifies the need for a 3G tablet device and I wouldn't be suprised if this hasn't already had a significant effect on the sales figures of the 3G models

A

Anonymous

I use my 3g enabled ipad like most people use their smart phone. I carry it everywhere I go, and I use it whenever access to the internet is required; email, google, googlemaps + gps, MSN, ect. Of course I also use it for all the things a tablet is useful for, watching tv, reading, playing games, listening to music, ect. I have a small pre-paid dumb phone to make/receive calls, and receive SMS. This situation suits my needs, and is cheaper than any smart phone package I could get here in Canada, where they gouge the heck out of you. This makes lack of 3G a deal-breaker for me, which really breaks my heart, as I was all set to trade in my aging ipad for an Asus Transformer Prime

chris hollands

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have not read a bad review on this one , is deffo gonna shake up the market and make Apple up there game for future developments.

Can only be good for everyone , whether you buy a Pad or a Prime !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts