Assistance in selecting rear, centre and sw

Colcho

Apr 14, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been looking to upgrade my home theatre sound system. I'm somewhat of a novice in the sound area, so I hope the options below do make sense to you guys. I use my speakers for some music listening, but movie are probably 80% of the time. The room is roughly 6x3x2.6meters.

My current setup is 2 custom made front speakers with Onkyo TX-NR6100 receiver. I'm pretty happy with the 2 speakers, so I've been looking to add the rest of the package to get 5.1 or even 5.1.2 if budget allows. Unfortunately my existing speakers were custom made(not my me :) ), so unless I disassemble them to check each of the channels manufacturer I cant give you much details. All I can say about them is they fill the room with sound significantly better than a low-budget philips 5.1 htd series - there was no room for comparison even though the philips was 5.1.

After some research I'm looking at few setups. Can you give some opinions on these options, or suggest an alternative:
- go with Dali OBERON 5 5.1 Home Cinema Set to avoid any compatibility issues with my current speakers. I'll probably use them for amp's zone 2. This is the highest cost option going ~500eur above my budget and leaving no room for height speakers. Yet from my novice perspective - its the "easiest" one, so if I get recommendations on this, I'll find a way :).
- pick up the get DALI SPEKTOR 2 (Vokal WL 2, SPEKTOR 2 and C-8D WH) or Q Acoustics 3000i (Q3090Ci, 3010i, 3060S) centre, rear and sw. These seems pretty well matched price wise and from what I read - sound-wise. This option will allow budget to looks for some height speakers, although I haven't done any research on them yet.
- go with the 3000i, but get the Q Acoustics QB12 instead - a lot of opinions state that the SW will make the biggest impact in an upgrade like mine, so I thought going with higher tier SW, while keeping centre and rear lower tier would be a good option.

I've also considered an option like Klipsch Reference Cinema System 5.1.4. But my amp goes only up to 5.1.2 + I have no way to actually listen to these Klipsch and compare to my current front speakers. Yet if you suggest an option to compare my current front speakers to what Klipsch, I'm open to check it.

Which option would you go, do you have an alternative to suggest?

Thank you in advance for any opinions!

Last edited:

Colcho

Apr 14, 2024
Visit site
Thank you for the quick replies. Sounds like compatibility should be my priority. I will give this thread few days and if this opinion remains the majority, I'll probably go towards Dali OBERON 5 5.1 Home Cinema Set.

Reactions: Messiah

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been looking to upgrade my home theatre sound system. I'm somewhat of a novice in the sound area, so I hope the options below do make sense to you guys. I use my speakers for some music listening, but movie are probably 80% of the time. The room is roughly 6x3x2.6meters.

My current setup is 2 custom made front speakers with Onkyo TX-NR6100 receiver. I'm pretty happy with the 2 speakers, so I've been looking to add the rest of the package to get 5.1 or even 5.1.2 if budget allows. Unfortunately my existing speakers were custom made(not my me :) ), so unless I disassemble them to check each of the channels manufacturer I cant give you much details. All I can say about them is they fill the room with sound significantly better than a low-budget philips 5.1 htd series - there was no room for comparison even though the philips was 5.1.

After some research I'm looking at few setups. Can you give some opinions on these options, or suggest an alternative:
- go with Dali OBERON 5 5.1 Home Cinema Set to avoid any compatibility issues with my current speakers. I'll probably use them for amp's zone 2. This is the highest cost option going ~500eur above my budget and leaving no room for height speakers. Yet from my novice perspective - its the "easiest" one, so if I get recommendations on this, I'll find a way :).
- pick up the get DALI SPEKTOR 2 (Vokal WL 2, SPEKTOR 2 and C-8D WH) or Q Acoustics 3000i (Q3090Ci, 3010i, 3060S) centre, rear and sw. These seems pretty well matched price wise and from what I read - sound-wise. This option will allow budget to looks for some height speakers, although I haven't done any research on them yet.
- go with the 3000i, but get the Q Acoustics QB12 instead - a lot of opinions state that the SW will make the biggest impact in an upgrade like mine, so I thought going with higher tier SW, while keeping centre and rear lower tier would be a good option.

I've also considered an option like Klipsch Reference Cinema System 5.1.4. But my amp goes only up to 5.1.2 + I have no way to actually listen to these Klipsch and compare to my current front speakers. Yet if you suggest an option to compare my current front speakers to what Klipsch, I'm open to check it.

Which option would you go, do you have an alternative to suggest?

Thank you in advance for any opinions!
I'm not into surround but I guess your choice to go with the Dali OBERON 5 5.1 Home Cinema Set is wise as they will create a uniform sound.
You'll probably not want to watch movies that way all the time, but if I would want surround now and then, I think I would buy a surround headphone without cables. Of course these headphones cannot deliver the same as a SW but in surround sound quality they might surpass speakers because they don't have to deal with room specifics.

Colcho

Apr 14, 2024
Visit site
Thank you, Leon74 for the different perspective. The home theater system has multiple users at the same time, so headphones are not an option in my case.

Reactions: Leon74

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Thank you, Leon74 for the different perspective. The home theater system has multiple users at the same time, so headphones are not an option in my case.
Yes of course, then headphones are no option. I wish you a lot of pleasure with the surround, in anticipation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts