asking for bit of advice on selling my Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 floorstanders

barnyd

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
Good morning everyone,

Thanks in advance for any engagement with this thread :)

Ill try and keep it as simple and brief as i can : i am (sadly) looking to sell my Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 floorstanders.

We have recently moved house and my new 'music room' is unfortunatley a lot smaller than my previous one and despite spirited negotiations i cant put them anywhere else. Basically they are wasted in the room and so im looking to downsize to something a little more appropriate.

The speakers have been magnificent for me and despite one thing (more on that in a moment) they still look great and sound superb. The sound is genuinely amazing. I use them with the Arcam A19 amp and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit. It sounds all superb, but its all just wasted in the current envrioment

The speakers were purchased for £1200 in 2012, but are now discontinued. The reviews at the time were very strong indeed. Spec can be found here (to summarise 200w, 40Hz to 45kHz ± 3dB,8 Ohms )

Clearly i am not going to get anywhere near what i paid but I am unsurpisingly hoping to sell them for a decent price. But heres the caveat...

A year after i bought them and rage inducingly on one of the few times i played them with the grilles off one of my bloody cats flew into the room and jumped at on of the speakers causing some disfigurement to the bottom driver cone which was bad enough, but much to my horror i also realised it had clawed at the rubber surround too and it had a small tear just under a cm long. After picking myself back from the floor i went about trying to fix it up, even going as far as getting some butyl glue after reading many guides on the web.

But heres the thing - i didnt actually fix it as i realised the sound wasnt comprised. At least not to my ears. The speakers still sounded great. So its remained as it is to this day.

So my question is, how much will this likely affect the sale - can anyone please advise ? If someone wants to they can fix the tear very easily, there are so many guides out there (most involes a puncture repair kit!) I know ultimatley it will affect the final selling price, but im keen to know just how much by. Or maybe theres just no point in selling them, i dont know. What would you guys do ?

Sorry, i realise this is a long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some pics which will hopefully help.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 10
In perfect condition you might get £500 to £600 on eBay. With damage it’s almost impossible to know. But I’d think £250 at best.
You can obviously search previous sales,which I’ve not done. AE are excellent speakers, but don’t have a huge following except for their early metal driver mini monitors.
AE are based in Cirencester and may be able to replace the driver for you. I’d give them a call.

barnyd

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Its certainly a tough call. Id actually be hoping for a bit more than £250, but not much more. Ive found a couple of ebay sales from the past few years at £900 and £750 but obviously thats with no damage like mine.

Like i said im geniunley not convinced of there being much of a sound difference with the tear, though id expect to a more trained ear there may well be. Going the route of replacing the driver seems excessive when some butyl will do it but of course i respect the importance of cosmetics to potential buyers too.

Weighing up everything i think the best course of action could well be to stick and not twist, certainly on a financial basis anyway, even if the speakers are unsuited to their current enviroment.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Its certainly a tough call. Id actually be hoping for a bit more than £250, but not much more. Ive found a couple of ebay sales from the past few years at £900 and £750 but obviously thats with no damage like mine.

Like i said im geniunley not convinced of there being much of a sound difference with the tear, though id expect to a more trained ear there may well be. Going the route of replacing the driver seems excessive when some butyl will do it but of course i respect the importance of cosmetics to potential buyers too.

Weighing up everything i think the best course of action could well be to stick and not twist, certainly on a financial basis anyway, even if the speakers are unsuited to their current enviroment.

In my experience, they will be a tough sell, If I was looking i'd certainly scroll straight over, I see a lot of B&W and Kefs with pushed in tweeters and they sit there for a long time. The rubber is not much of problem as it can be reconditioned but a dented/crumpled driver normal implies that the speaker has been driven too hard and seeing as your cat has put all it weight on it while the cone was in action id say the cone is actually fairly damaged on the inside and fair from just cosmetic. Probably has ripped diaphragm as its effectively been held in place while moving.

I'd try and hunt down a spare part and then sell and get there full value.

I think Nopiano is right on the money 200-250 at best with the damage.

barnyd

Oct 18, 2020
Visit site
In my experience, they will be a tough sell, If I was looking i'd certainly scroll straight over, I see a lot of B&W and Kefs with pushed in tweeters and they sit there for a long time. The rubber is not much of problem as it can be reconditioned but a dented/crumpled driver normal implies that the speaker has been driven too hard and seeing as your cat has put all it weight on it while the cone was in action id say the cone is actually fairly damaged on the inside and fair from just cosmetic. Probably has ripped diaphragm as its effectively been held in place while moving.

I'd try and hunt down a spare part and then sell and get there full value.

I think Nopiano is right on the money 200-250 at best with the damage.

Hi. Thanks for your reply!

I have had the speaker driver out of the case and there isnt any damage on the inside, the diaphragm and spider are fine and functional - but i totally take on board your points.

I think i may actually give a AE a call and see if they may haver a spare driver, unlikey but its a good a place as any to start.

If it seems the speakers are only likely for sell for around £200 then i wont be selling, they are far, far to good to let go at that price but i absolutley acknowledge why they would be valued like that.

Thanks again for your time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts