As usual...

jjbomber

And I can
I am sure you can back up those allegations with solid evidence.
Of course companies pay for advertising, do you expect them to get it for free?
He's entitled to his opinion. He doesn't need solid evidence to back up an opinion.

You have also twisted his words. Clearly he thinks that those who advertise in the magazine get awards, while those who don't advertise go home empty handed.

Finally a certain company always have a news story/advert in the top 5 news stories on a Friday afternoon. You can believe this is the greatest coincidence in the history of the World if you want to. You can believe the moon is made of cheese if you want to. You are entitled to your opinion, just as other members are entitled to theirs.

Of course he is entitled to an opinion, who isn't.
Nobody has said he cannot have one

However should you post it anywhere these days you can expect a response.
There was actually no twisting of words if you read what he wrote.
Your interpretation of that is understandable, of course.
Attacking various forum member is very much frowned upon, attacking the publication that made this forum available is certainly an odd behaviour, in my opinion.......
It is perfectly understandable that most people know what is going to come up on these Awards as there are rarely can't surprises, which is why I choose not to read them, that's my choice and everyone else's.

D

Deleted member 160668

Mmmm. 'Attacking'?! Really?!

Sure, people can have their opinion. But come on. This statement is just rubbish.

To quote... 'eyes rolled up at the sky'...

Moderation is one thing. I get it, there are doughnuts on social media. This, I believe, is just codswallop.

Feel free to hit me with the ban-hammer as clearly this site is now heavily over moderated.

Mmmm. 'Attacking'?! Really?!

Sure, people can have their opinion. But come on. This statement is just rubbish.

To quote... 'eyes rolled up at the sky'...

Moderation is one thing. I get it, there are doughnuts on social media. This, I believe, is just codswallop.

Feel free to hit me with the ban-hammer as clearly this site is now heavily over moderated.
Please note my comments were made as a forum member and not with a moderators hat on.
You may disagree with it but I am still entitled to have one.
Please also note no moderation facilities have been employed, in fact I am still waiting for another moderator to move this thread to the right subforum.
Simply because WHF decided to make moderators out of some of us doesn't stop us having opinions.

I think the OP would have more credibility if it said why those were undeserving winners. The advertising logic isn't a very strong case on its own, as you could argue that companies choose to advertise where they are already getting good publicity. I haven't heard any of those products, so have no opinion on the soundness of verdict, btw.

D

Deleted member 188516

What Hifi gets freebies. Or, certain companies buy advertising. Pay for play.

you have a point but dont all magazines, hifi or otherwise, do the same ?

the only review(s) that matters to me are my own - the ones i conduct when i buy an item and listen to it in my system / listening room !

Reactions: Surly Sid
D

Deleted member 188516

Are you really asking or is that a trick question?
Here's one for you: how do you think magazines survive?
ROFLMAO.

just wanted him / her to elaborate as to why he / she posted that...

I think it’s right to acknowledge that magazines make money from advertising revenue, rather than subscriptions and counter sales. Obviously the larger the readership the more advertisers will pay. That’s why most magazines from Future and others are offered at c. 50% off for subscribers.

WHF make no secret that they rely on manufacturers to supply review samples. They aren’t Which? Magazine that buys review products and carries no advertising. So it’s a mutually supporting relationship, like many in nature. That doesn’t mean it’s riddled with corruption and bias as some seem to believe.

A few products that aren’t reviewed widely may be less than stellar, but most products that appear are decent and deservedly popular. Awards issues are great for boosting circulation. I’m sure I’m not the only buyer who chooses some of these over a regular sub for certain publications.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
And I can
I am sure you can back up those allegations with solid evidence.
Of course companies pay for advertising, do you expect them to get it for free?
The SAME day the new LS50 meta and wireless version were announced, What Hifi presented reviews of both! On the same day the new products are announced to the public, What Hifi is already giving them 5 stars...

What does that tells ya?

matthewpiano

The SAME day the new LS50 meta and wireless version were announced, What Hifi presented reviews of both! On the same day the new products are announced to the public, What Hifi is already giving them 5 stars...

What does that tells ya?

That WHF were possibly given review samples ahead of the public announcement. Manufacturers time their announcements to what suits them best, and often products are fully developed and known about internally long before the public gets to know about them.

Friesiansam

What does that tells ya?
It is commonplace, not just in hifi, for products to be supplied to publications for testing, before that product is released but, with a non disclosure order in place. The reviews can then be published on product release day. This happens all the time with new home computer hardware.

D

Deleted member 116933

What does that tells ya?

So did all the other reviewer around the world, it's called good marketing on KEFs part, Camera companies do exactly the same thing they even have large events where YouTubers and influencers can go to play with those cameras and give a first look.

John Darko had his for weeks before the embargo lifted.

D

Deleted member 116933

What Hifi gets freebies. Or, certain companies buy advertising. Pay for play.

Having worked in large scale publications as a graphic designer its actually the other way round, Its called account handling and What hi-fi are more likely to wine and dine KEF to keep relations up, which in turn encourages a spend on advertisement and those account handlers will ring KEF each month and say "we have space would you like it" if they don't they'll move on to the next client in there books.

Kef doesn't need the reviews their products are slick enough and only a portion of their stuff is actually reviewed. Kef aren't dumb they know there's a big market in lifestyle products and they know those people buy off reviews not necessarily auditions it really that simple

If they get anything free its probably along the lines of a nice hamper at Christmas for what hifi team to enjoy.

Reactions: Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts