As usual...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

I'd say Marantz's 2-channel product range has been pretty skeletal of late, with developments few and far between. They've continued putting effort into maintaining the 6000 series, and there has been the PM7000N and NR1200, but not a lot else until you go up to the higher end of what they do.

This isn't limited to Marantz either. Yamaha have become very static at sub-£1k price points, whilst Pioneer and Onkyo (now both the same company of course) have pretty much disappeared from the scene, certainly in the UK.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
It is commonplace, not just in hifi, for products to be supplied to publications for testing, before that product is released but, with a non disclosure order in place. The reviews can then be published on product release day. This happens all the time with new home computer hardware.
Yes, but it is What Hifi that got them FIRST! KEF knew they would get a glowing 5 star review...

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
So did all the other reviewer around the world, it's called good marketing on KEFs part, Camera companies do exactly the same thing they even have large events where YouTubers and influencers can go to play with those cameras and give a first look.

John Darko had his for weeks before the embargo lifted.
Darko is another KEF fanboy with arrangements...

rainsoothe

Yes, but it is What Hifi that got them FIRST! KEF knew they would get a glowing 5 star review...
There's other magazines that get the first review of other brands. They also give Marantz glowing reviews. It doesn't mean anything, other than some Marantz rep talking with some WHF guy where they agree about who gets dibs on first review.

P.S.: I heard a few budget amps, and in that price category Marantz is my first recommendation, and what I would probably get if I were on a budget and needed the functionality. On 2 occasions, when I was going to audition some other stuff, there were the PM6004 and 6005 playing in the 2 dealership lobbies, and both times they made me stop, listen and ask about which setup was playing. They are very, very good.

Reactions: nopiano

manicm

I'd say Marantz's 2-channel product range has been pretty skeletal of late, with developments few and far between. They've continued putting effort into maintaining the 6000 series, and there has been the PM7000N and NR1200, but not a lot else until you go up to the higher end of what they do.

This isn't limited to Marantz either. Yamaha have become very static at sub-£1k price points, whilst Pioneer and Onkyo (now both the same company of course) have pretty much disappeared from the scene, certainly in the UK.

Ah Matthew, and you castigated me for saying the same about Cyrus. 🙃

D

Deleted member 116933

Darko is another KEF fanboy with arrangements...

Wow!

Why would spend your time here if you have such a cynical outlook on this sort of stuff?

Think you’ve taken up the wrong hobby chap.

Perhaps knitting might be better for you! No conspiracy’s in the field you might have a happier life.

Think you need to unwind a little

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Why would that be? Do Hegel not send them review samples?

Its like a What Car magazine not reviewing cars from Audi. Its strange that Hegel is reviewed by reviewers around the world and some of their components have achieved awards, yet What HiFi has not reviewed one single item from Hegel. I got the impression that What HiFi magazine was a magazine wanting to review Audio gear which is on the market selling across the world and getting good feed back from the public, but then considering that What HiFi do not correspond with their readers maybe they are blissfully ignorant that Hegel exists...?

Its like a What Car magazine not reviewing cars from Audi. Its strange that Hegel is reviewed by reviewers around the world and some of their components have achieved awards, yet What HiFi has not reviewed one single item from Hegel. I got the impression that What HiFi magazine was a magazine wanting to review Audio gear which is on the market selling across the world and getting good feed back from the public, but then considering that What HiFi do not correspond with their readers maybe they are blissfully ignorant that Hegel exists...?
Ah, I see where you’re coming from. All I can say is WHF rely upon manufacturers submitting review models, so Hegel must’ve decided not to do so. They’ve had very good reviews in Hifi News, Gramophone and others though, as you doubtless know.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Ah, I see where you’re coming from. All I can say is WHF rely upon manufacturers submitting review models, so Hegel must’ve decided not to do so. They’ve had very good reviews in Hifi News, Gramophone and others though, as you doubtless know.

Thank you for your reply but I posed the same question on this forum over a year if not longer ago and someone representing What HiFi responded that the Hegel is not sold via the usual main dealers in UK so is not under scrutiny of What HiFi. Since then Hegel has increased the number of dealers selling their stock in UK I just wondered whether What HiFi would of changed their minds in order to be up to date, maybe there was contact between Hegel and What HiFi resulting in some bad history hence this ongoing silence...?

Friesiansam

Thank you for your reply but I posed the same question on this forum over a year if not longer ago and someone representing What HiFi responded that the Hegel is not sold via the usual main dealers in UK so is not under scrutiny of What HiFi. Since then Hegel has increased the number of dealers selling their stock in UK I just wondered whether What HiFi would of changed their minds in order to be up to date, maybe there was contact between Hegel and What HiFi resulting in some bad history hence this ongoing silence...?
No one site does, or indeed can, review everything but, there are plenty of other sites, UK and elsewhere, that do review Hegel.

Gray

I've never looked for Hegel reviews, beyond a quick look before my last post to check if they are out there, so I wouldn't known about that but, biased reviews are rarely useful.
That's why I used to like Hi-fi Choice mag's group tests of old.
They used a panel of listeners with note pads but no idea what they were listening to.
At the end they compared notes.
When their opinions concurred you were onto something.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've never looked for Hegel reviews, beyond a quick look before my last post to check if they are out there, so I wouldn't known about that but, biased reviews are rarely useful.

Thats why I completely ignore HiFi World reviews, everything is either 'outstanding' or 'One of the best'; sounds more like a Audio answer to a propaganda.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts