Arylic S50 Pro vs bluesound node 2i

eight1zero

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys

I am looking to buy a streamer which will be used as a TRANSPORT as I will be connecting it to an external dac.. I was going ahead with the bluesound node 2i and then I learnt about the s50 pro also Andrew Robinson has awarded this the source component of the year .. so was wondering if this will do the job with compromising the sound quality

would be great if u guys can share ure impressions/ experience with the s50 pro

thanks

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Says in the faq's on the ayrlic website that the digital output is fixed at 16/44 which makes it no use as a hires digital transport
Then they contradict themselves in another part of the faq's and say that digital output is 16/48.
Not sure I'd want to deal with a company that doesn't know the answer to a specific question about their product.

record_spot

I use the S10 and rate it highly. Sound quality is hard to fault at the price (about £70 or so these days), but thankfully it's excellent.

Bluetooth has little to recommend it in this model and there's no gapless, DSD or MQA. Gapless has long been a bane of many a manufacturer so that's no biggie. Worth pointing out at this juncture that the gapless proviso is only for your own files, streaming services are unaffected and Spotify (which I use) plays throb without a hitch, gapless and all. DSD and MQA aren't to be expected at this price, so no biggie there, the latter in particular is no loss.

Otherwise, you'll get 24/192, though I use mine for Spotify, podcasts and vtuner Internet radio which is excellent. I'd recommend them at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: eight1zero

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Read this:
That review is for the A50 - with amplifier built-in. I own the S50 which is the streamer only with ES 9023 DAC. A different animal to the A50.
I also own the new S50 Pro + (released at end of Jan) - again this is just a streamer but now has OLED screen.
Arylic also have a new A50 Pro coming in March to replace the A50 if anyone needing the integrated amp feature.

eight1zero

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi - Do you still need an answer on this ? I have had both the S50 and the Node2i in my system recently.
yes please still sitting on the fence regarding this. i dont want to use the dac i already have an external dac. just want to know how it sounds as a transport and how is the app experience ?
thank you

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
yes please still sitting on the fence regarding this. i dont want to use the dac i already have an external dac. just want to know how it sounds as a transport and how is the app experience ?
thank you

THe short answer is the Bluesound is the better fit for you due to:

1) You wish to use external DAC. The Node2i will do 24/96 from it's coax output. Maybe even 192 I think. The Arylic is limited to 16/44

2) The App - The BlueOS app is very good. Had no problems with it. No glitches or random freeezes. But the best bit?
All music plays gapless - I tried Amazon HD, Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify over last 3 months. I can't get my head round why so many streamers cannot do gapless.

Here are some more thoughts on the Arylic S50 Pro

If you want a low cost streamer this cannot be beaten for the price. Including shipping direct from China, it was £140 and took only 6 days to reach me. It sounds really good and has a decent enough DAC (ES 9023) I preferred the sound over the Node2i DAC (BurrBrown?)
THe 4STREAM app is also good, but can have the odd glitch, freeze. More so on the new S50 Pro+, so maybe just some updates needed to fix this. Had no problems with performance, all streams play without issue
My main gripe with the S50 - no gapless playback from Tidal or Qobuz. It really bugs me! No such problem with BlueOS :)
Touch of buyers regret from me you might think. Should probably added an external DAC to my Node2i but instead I sent it back and went Arylic
I think the Node2i with a good external DAC will win hands down on both app experience and overall sound vs the Arylic, but at much higher cost.

Both streamers were connected via QED RCA cables to my Musical Fidelity M2Si amp with Dali Oberon 5 speakers.
I use Qobuz as my streaming app now. I think MQA on Tidal is snake oil, but if that is important to you - the Arylic Sabre DAC is not MQA capable, the Node2i can handle it (assuming you use Tidal)
Some screen grabs of both the apps talked about! (green is 4STREAM)
Blue0s.jpgBluOS.jpgS50_1.jpgS50_2.jpg

Hope this helps

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site

1) You wish to use external DAC. The Node2i will do 24/96 from it's coax output. Maybe even 192 I think. The Arylic is limited to 16/44

2) The App - The BlueOS app is very good. Had no problems with it. No glitches or random freeezes. But the best bit?
All music plays gapless - I tried Amazon HD, Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify over last 3 months. I can't get my head round why so many streamers cannot do gapless.

If you want a low cost streamer this cannot be beaten for the price. Including shipping direct from China, it was £140 and took only 6 days to reach me. It sounds really good and has a decent enough DAC (ES 9023) I preferred the sound over the Node2i DAC (BurrBrown?)
THe 4STREAM app is also good, but can have the odd glitch, freeze. More so on the new S50 Pro+, so maybe just some updates needed to fix this. Had no problems with performance, all streams play without issue
My main gripe with the S50 - no gapless playback from Tidal or Qobuz. It really bugs me! No such problem with BlueOS :)
Touch of buyers regret from me you might think. Should probably added an external DAC to my Node2i but instead I sent it back and went Arylic
I think the Node2i with a good external DAC will win hands down on both app experience and overall sound vs the Arylic, but at much higher cost.

Both streamers were connected via QED RCA cables to my Musical Fidelity M2Si amp with Dali Oberon 5 speakers.
I use Qobuz as my streaming app now. I think MQA on Tidal is snake oil, but if that is important to you - the Arylic Sabre DAC is not MQA capable, the Node2i can handle it (assuming you use Tidal)
View attachment 2071View attachment 2072View attachment 2073View attachment 2074

Hope this helps
Great post.
If the s50 pro had a coaxial out that could output 24/96/192 it would make it a great hires digital transport. That fact that it doesn't have that capability is a shame because at the price it sells for it would be a killer product.
BTW lennon out!(y)

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Great post.
If the s50 pro had a coaxial out that could output 24/96/192 it would make it a great hires digital transport. That fact that it doesn't have that capability is a shame because at the price it sells for it would be a killer product.
BTW lennon out!(y)
Thanks. For while I also had a Chromecast Audio hooked up to Topping E30 DAC - Even though the CCA was only 30 quid it could still output 96/ 192 rates to the Topping. Sounded great, but the bass was eased of slightly vs the S50 Pro (my wife loved the CCA/E30 sound. Thought I was mad sending the E30 back)
So it's a shame streamers like the Arylic and the Yamaha WXC-50 have that 16/44 limitation.
Next month, I might try out the CCA hooked up to the new DACMAGIC 200M - Compare that to the Arylic!

DAC.JPG
And yes, I have way to much time on my hands just now :)

Reactions: PlastermanOG

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. For while I also had a Chromecast Audio hooked up to Topping E30 DAC - Even though the CCA was only 30 quid it could still output 96/ 192 rates to the Topping. Sounded great, but the bass was eased of slightly vs the S50 Pro (my wife loved the CCA/E30 sound. Thought I was mad sending the E30 back)
So it's a shame streamers like the Arylic and the Yamaha WXC-50 have that 16/44 limitation.
Next month, I might try out the CCA hooked up to the new DACMAGIC 200M - Compare that to the Arylic!

View attachment 2079
And yes, I have way to much time on my hands just now :)
I like the look of the 200m, price point too.

eight1zero

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
hi
thank you for the reply.. i was tempted to get this as i would have saved a-lot of money.. gapless is not a deal breaker for me as long as the sound is similar to the node 2i.. will 16/44 be a lot inferior to the 24/96?

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
hi
thank you for the reply.. i was tempted to get this as i would have saved a-lot of money.. gapless is not a deal breaker for me as long as the sound is similar to the node 2i.. will 16/44 be a lot inferior to the 24/96?

So, what I've learned over lockdown is - Don't get too hung up on sample rates, MQA or even Hi-Res in general. What really matters is the mastering of the album itself. I've listened to plenty of 16/44 stuff that has blown me away on the S50 and sounded better to me than the 'gold standard' of MQA etc.
Maybe my system isn't good enough to extract the detail of Marvin Gaye at 24/192 over the CD at 16/44. I also still use Spotify and despite being only MP3@320kbps, it also sounds really good to my ears.
Can I ask ...
What your external DAC is ? - Is is a decent step up from the ES9023 found in the S50 ? You may find it's not needed.
What streaming service you plan to use ?

Reactions: doifeellucky

eight1zero

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site
So, what I've learned over lockdown is - Don't get too hung up on sample rates, MQA or even Hi-Res in general. What really matters is the mastering of the album itself. I've listened to plenty of 16/44 stuff that has blown me away on the S50 and sounded better to me than the 'gold standard' of MQA etc.
Maybe my system isn't good enough to extract the detail of Marvin Gaye at 24/192 over the CD at 16/44. I also still use Spotify and despite being only MP3@320kbps, it also sounds really good to my ears.
Can I ask ...
What your external DAC is ? - Is is a decent step up from the ES9023 found in the S50 ? You may find it's not needed.
What streaming service you plan to use ?
i mainly use tidal and spotify
i have a power amp connected to audiolab mdac(ES9018) which works as a dac and pre. i am guessing the pre and dac will be better of the audiolab when compared to the pre and dac of s50.. even tho 9023 is a higher model

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
i have a power amp connected to audiolab mdac(ES9018) which works as a dac and pre. i am guessing the pre and dac will be better of the audiolab when compared to the pre and dac of s50.. even tho 9023 is a higher model
Same set up as myself, m-dac to an audiolab 8200p. That's why I'd want a streamer with a digital output that can pass a hires signal to the m-dac.

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site

Yes - Again, don't get hung up on the Sabre DAC versions. As you rightly say , the MDAC will be of far superior quality down to the implementation and the surrounding chipset components.
So it really boils down to how much you care about Hi-Res ? If you do, then its the Node2i for Hi-Res goodness over coax to the MDAC. If you don't then, the S50 to the MDAC @ fixed 16/44 is one for you.
In a blind test, I'm not convinced my ears could tell the difference between a well mastered 16/44 and the 24/96 variant :unsure:

Reactions: eight1zero

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Yes - Again, don't get hung up on the Sabre DAC versions. As you rightly say , the MDAC will be of far superior quality down to the implementation and the surrounding chipset components.
So it really boils down to how much you care about Hi-Res ? If you do, then its the Node2i for Hi-Res goodness over coax to the MDAC. If you don't then, the S50 to the MDAC @ fixed 16/44 is one for you.
In a blind test, I'm not convinced my ears could tell the difference between a well mastered 16/44 and the 24/96 variant :unsure:

For anyone else who comes accross this thread. Here is another cheap streamer that could be worth considering

Has the same limitations as the Arylic - no gapless and fixed output if using external DAC but only $130. If you were a Spotify user only, looks decent enough. Dont know what the shipping/tax situation is though.
I also bought a D30 DAC (using with my Chromecast Audio). I highly recommend this as well. It sounds close to the Topping E30 I had for a while, but worth the few extra quid for the better build, colour screen etc. Lots of great options out there for little cash to add High-Res streaming to your set-up :cool:
D30.JPG

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site

View attachment 2071View attachment 2072View attachment 2073View attachment 2074

Hope this helps
Very interesting - I have the Arylic s10 streamer and the A50 which i am testing together with some old kit (BW 602 3s + arcam alpha 8r) and streaming tidal hifi . For some reason I am getting huge uncontrolled base out of this combo either with the S10 + arcam or A50 + Bws. This is not something I get with the BWs + Arcam and say with iphone to aux in. Any idea what that could be? Am a novice so and struggling a bit.
I have a large L floor space and I was toying with the idea of connecting 2 systems together. I know lots of amps have the possibility to run 2 pairs hard wired but I cant have cables running everywhere and I was trying to see if I could achieve the same over wifi. So far connecting various bits of kit to the above has has been very promising (apart from the base issue which can be resolved somewhat by tuning down base levels). Thought of doing this using 2 sets of Bluesound node2s at some cost but seems Arylic option can do it for much less. I also like the 4 stream app which seems to work fine. I will most likely return the A50 and was considering exactly your set up with the S50pro + Ms2si + oberon 5s as the main system with the possibility to run this with the old BW/Arcam set up . To be honest I have got quite bored of the Bw/arcam and was looking for something more dynamic - how do you find the S50pro + Ms2si + oberon 5 combo?

superhans

Oct 19, 2020
Visit site
Very interesting - I have the Arylic s10 streamer and the A50 which i am testing together with some old kit (BW 602 3s + arcam alpha 8r) and streaming tidal hifi . For some reason I am getting huge uncontrolled base out of this combo either with the S10 + arcam or A50 + Bws. This is not something I get with the BWs + Arcam and say with iphone to aux in. Any idea what that could be? Am a novice so and struggling a bit.
I have a large L floor space and I was toying with the idea of connecting 2 systems together. I know lots of amps have the possibility to run 2 pairs hard wired but I cant have cables running everywhere and I was trying to see if I could achieve the same over wifi. So far connecting various bits of kit to the above has has been very promising (apart from the base issue which can be resolved somewhat by tuning down base levels). Thought of doing this using 2 sets of Bluesound node2s at some cost but seems Arylic option can do it for much less. I also like the 4 stream app which seems to work fine. I will most likely return the A50 and was considering exactly your set up with the S50pro + Ms2si + oberon 5s as the main system with the possibility to run this with the old BW/Arcam set up . To be honest I have got quite bored of the Bw/arcam and was looking for something more dynamic - how do you find the S50pro + Ms2si + oberon 5 combo?
I also owned the A50 for a while - I never used the 'amp' feature only the built-in streamer and had no issues at all when hooked up to the M2si. Sounded fine , no bass problems
I enjoyed the sound of the S50/M2si/Dali 5 - detailed and balanced. Not sure I'd call it dynamic, but I think that is more down the 'neutral' sound of the Dali speakers.

eight1zero

Jan 3, 2021
Visit site

hey
i have a audiocast m5 which looks like has the same app as the s50. when using tidal on that app it does not have my mix and i cant start a track radio if i want to listen to similar songs .. can u confirm this on the s50 pro app? because this could be a deal breaker for me
thanks in advance

Svatopluk

Jan 6, 2021
Visit site

Hope this helps
I am having great fun connecting the Arylic (A50 + S10) components to various peices of kit I have and the app works great. May be I don't understand what is meant by gapless -Gapless playback – “the uninterrupted playback of consecutive audio tracks” but thats what I get from the 4stream app on tidal, there is a short 4-6 second gap between tracks which I would describe as gapless.

I would buy some more pieces from Arylic (to connect other parts of the house / outside terrace) and its for me amazing that I can control everything from the app. My main room has the A50 connected to Oberon 5's sounds great to me but I am probably not getting the best out of the speakers with that. So if I was looking to upgrade that but keep within the Arylic ecosystem then I could get the S50pro + . Then I need an amp. Thing is I will only be streaming (not hi-res) and I have no place for pieces of consumer electronics in the minimalist interior I live in ( the oberons are pieces of minimal art with the added bonus that they make sound) so the 'kit' is going to hidden away in a cupboard nearby and controlled 100% remotely. So, the amp - I don't need beautiful casework, phono, connections for TV,CD, DAC .....just a good sound. May be therefore, S50 plus a power amp like the Iotavx PA3? The S50 is a preamp as well and has controls on the remote. Seems that would be better sounding than the Bluesound powernode for example but for half the price. Would that work? BTW I solved the problem with excessive base response - I had the base boost inadvertently on switched !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts