Ariston RD80sl TT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all just paid for a ariston RD80SL turntable in absolute mint condition can any one tell me where i can buy a new belt online. not sure it needs a belt but figure its best to change it as dont know the history, also any other service items i should look at on thos tt.

its fitted with a linn basik arm with a k9 catridge is it possible to change the stylus or would i have to replace the cart if so any recomendations.

Thanks in advance

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Type... Ariston turntable drive belt

into the search window on ebay UK.

There are a couple of sellers (both with 99.9 percent +ve feedback) selling belts.

They are not original Ariston parts but that is not suprising given that Ariston packed up donkey's years ago.

The Linn K9 is basically an Audio-Technica AT95 so I would buy a new AT95E and replace the whole K9, body and all. It will have the same sound.

chebby:

Type... Ariston turntable drive belt

into the search window on ebay UK.

There are a couple of sellers (both with 99.9 percent +ve feedback) selling belts.

They are not original Ariston parts but that is not suprising given that Ariston packed up donkey's years ago.

The Linn K9 is basically an Audio-Technica AT95 so I would buy a new AT95E and replace the whole K9, body and all. It will have the same sound.

Didn't Ariston distribute for or own Sherwood?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, any recomendations on other cartridges for the arm. have not taken delivery yet so have not heard the k9 and not sure of what the condition will be so may just get new cart before trying.

also comes with rubber mat, is there a difference in rubber and felt mats comments please

nemof:

Thanks for the input, any recomendations on other cartridges for the arm. have not taken delivery yet so have not heard the k9 and not sure of what the condition will be so may just get new cart before trying.

also comes with rubber mat, is there a difference in rubber and felt mats comments please

Any of the budget cartidges would suffice. As regards the platter or turntable mat, many guys on here endorse acrylic as opposed to the standard rubber, although I don't have personal experience of this.

A

Anonymous

nemof, what you have is something near the LP12 level. Don't even think of a budget cartridge. Arount £200 is what you should be looking at spending as a minimum.

one off:nemof, what you have is something near the LP12 level. Don't even think of a budget cartridge. Arount £200 is what you should be looking at spending as a minimum.

Isn't £200 a good budget cartridge? My £210 cartridge of three years ago has rocketed to close to £400 now.

I think that turntable was aimed at the more 'cost friendly' bracket, nowhere close to LP12. I could be totally mistaken. . .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
one off:nemof, what you have is something near the LP12 level. Don't even think of a budget cartridge. Arount £200 is what you should be looking at spending as a minimum.

The Ariston RD11s was the "near the LP12 level" turntable in it's day, and the RD80 a budget version.

Not only that, but many LP12's were sold with Basik LVV and LVX arms fitted out with Linn K9 (AT95 variant) or K5 cartridges.

Linn themselves always maintained that there was a 'heirarchy' with TT coming first, then arm and cartridge last of all. It was perfectly ok to use a good budget cartridge and Linn even sold their own in the shape of the K5 and K9 models. (Budget MM's made by Audio Technica for Linn.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts