Upgrade advice for vintage Axis / Creek / HB1 System

SteveC

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

After many years sitting in the corner gathering dust, I have recently started using my old system again after purchasing a Pioneer N50A DAC / Streamer. This has also inspired me to also get my old vinyl and CD’s out and I can feel the bug starting to creep up on me again! My current set up is as follows:

Linn Axis / Basik Plus / K9

Creek 4040 s2 Amp

Heybrook HB1’s (restored a few years ago) & Stands

Marantz CD-42 mk11

Pioneer N50A

Although most of the kit is 30 years old, it is still in mint condition as shortly after it was purchased my attention was diverted towards Car’s, boot mounted sub woofers & Girl’s. The rest as they say, is history. Anyway, I am thinking about changing the Amp and the CD player so would be grateful for any advice as I have been ‘out of the loop’ for such a long time. The amp, which if I recall correctly will need lean towards a ‘warm’ sound to compliment the speakers, the CD player, outside the website’s best buy’s and award winners, I have no preference other than complimenting the rest of the system. As I am just dipping my toe back into the water, I am setting a budget of about £500 - £600 for the pair and would be more than happy to consider used equipment due to the age of the other items. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Welcome, Steve,

You might consider any variety of NAD, or possibly a newer Creek (though I'm not familiar with the model numbers). But before that, I'd definitely get a new cartridge, for which I'd budget at least £100. If you want to keep the K9 I believe you can use the ATN95e stylus as a replacement, if you aren't likely to be playing your old LPs much.

If the CD player still works, I'd not rush to change it, but newer Marantz would be the first place to look.

For all new, Onkyo, Yamaha, .Marantz and a Denon all make decent kit.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi and welcome

I used to have the same record deck and those lovely HB1's, glad you're not selling them

This amp would do nicely, but it would use up most of the budget

http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/105306-electrocompaniet-ec1-2-class-a-integrated-amp/

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

nopiano said:
Welcome, Steve,

You might consider any variety of NAD, or possibly a newer Creek (though I'm not familiar with the model numbers). But before that, I'd definitely get a new cartridge, for which I'd budget at least £100. If you want to keep the K9 I believe you can use the ATN95e stylus as a replacement, if you aren't likely to be playing your old LPs much.

If the CD player still works, I'd not rush to change it, but newer Marantz would be the first place to look.

For all new, Onkyo, Yamaha, .Marantz and a Denon all make decent kit.

Seconded .... and keep those speakers.

SteveC said:
Thanks for all of your replys.

nopiano, what cartridge would you recommend?

Nopiano was correct in that you could simply replace the stylus on the K9, however I'm sure he'll relpy with a suitable alternative should you require a complete change / upgrade.

...........so I'll not need to mention the Shure M97Xe................. :)

SteveC

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
After a little research in the used market, I have shortlisted a couple of contenders for the amp:

NAD C326BEE

Arcam Alpha 8R phono

Arcam Alpha 9

Marantz PM6005

Any other suggestions or a best of the bunch? These can all be purchased under £220 used which leaves me enough for the cartridge upgrade suggested and a CD player.

Cheers.

SteveC said:
After a little research in the used market, I have shortlisted a couple of contenders for the amp:

NAD C326BEE

Arcam Alpha 8R phono

Arcam Alpha 9

Marantz PM6005

Any other suggestions or a best of the bunch? These can all be purchased under £220 used which leaves me enough for the cartridge upgrade suggested and a CD player.

Cheers.

The Onkyo 9010 new will be £9 over but possible to find ex-demo I'd imagine so you'd have some warranty here (the Marantz is £239 new). The Arcams are a bit old so you'd take your chances as to condition here (Alpha 8 appeared in 1998 I think). Not saying they were not good in their day mind you.

How much under £220 were you looking at?

SteveC

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Al,

The budget is flexible, i just set a figure in my mind as I have just strated getting back into it again.

Cheers.

Al ears said:
SteveC said:

Nopiano was correct in that you could simply replace the stylus on the K9, however I'm sure he'll relpy with a suitable alternative should you require a complete change / upgrade.

Yes, the Shure is great for about a hundred quid. Or the best Audio Technica you can afford, as that is where the K9 began life. Maybe the 440mlb, which lists at about £150, but is sold for twenty quid less.

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
SteveC said:

Yes, the Shure is great for about a hundred quid. Or the best Audio Technica you can afford, as that is where the K9 began life. Maybe the 440mlb, which lists at about £150, but is sold for twenty quid less.

Another good choice, a very sound all-rounder, can still be had for £128 as stated above, which is a good price.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
The Creek is a great amp. Don't be surprised if you prefer it to the others. It's not (IMO) a weak link in your system. Personally I'd try and sell your Basik Plus tonearm and replace with a used Akito and a new cartridge.

For the CD player, as long as you don't mind buying used, a Naim CD3, 3.5 or CD5 will massively outperform your Marantz.

SteveC

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replys everyone, I am definately going to take the advice with regards to a new cartridge.

I will keep an eye on the used market for an Onkyo 9010 or Marantz PM6005 and see how it compairs to my Creek, I can always move it on again if I prefer the creek.

TRENDING THREADS