Are two Amps better than One

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Two months ago i put my Pioneer A400 in the wardrobe after purchasing a Marantz SR7500 to play my music and movies.The movies are great with the 7500 but i feel it's letting me down with the two channel music.It's just not there if you know what i mean.Anyway....Is it possible to have both hooked up(Pioneer for music only,2 front speakers) and the SR7500 just for Movies(all speakers) by either a switching box or through pre outs.Is there any thing to gain is really the big question.

Any help would be appreciated

Gary

A

Anonymous

Hi Gary,

I asked a similar question last week as I am looking to improve stereo music. It is possible and I am sure you will see improvements, although I don't know much about the kit you are using. I have a Yamaha DSP-A5 AV amp and I am looking at adding a seperate stereo amp and upgrading my CD Player.

Apparantly you can wire your pioneer amp into your "direct out" on the AV amp. Then wire your front speakers into the Pioneer amp, alongside your CD player and tuner (if you have one).

Hey presto, When playing stereo music, your AV amp is out of the loop. If you like the sound of your Pioneer Amp, then you are sorted.

I am sure someone more in the know will be along shortly.

Jason

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gary,

Jason's right. Effectively bypassing your AV amp for stereo duties means your dedicated two-channel amp takes charge.

I use this system at home - i've got a damn fine AV amp, but the stereo amp sounds so much better with music, especially as I have floorstanding front speakers in my surround sound set-up.

Where AV amps tend to struggle is timing, imagery and integration - you'll typically hear a far more coherent, rhythmicaly pleasing sound via a stereo amp, even one that costs a fraction of the multichannel machine.

T

the record spot

Why not give the old Pioneer a run? If it's not cutting it with your ears now, sell it (there's a good secondhand market for it) and look at the new Pioneer range if you like their products. You might find that the new A-A6-J amp is worth thinking about; apparently quite close in spirit to the A400, it's £350, needs careful partnering but sounds the part. Good reviews in WHF and one or two other hi-fi mags give it a thumbs up across several reviewers. Definately go with the dedicated amp option though; it'll tan the AV effort.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Jay

Appreciate you time and info.I'll be giving it a shot.

Gary

A

Anonymous

Clare

Many thanks for your reply so i guess i'm pulling the Pioneer out.I just hope it's a strait forward job.What about the volume levels for both??.Any drama's there??

Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts