Are separates on borrowed time?

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Wayyyy out of line...I rather respect MP's point of view.

I like actives, heard a few but can't be bothered with the pontificating frat and fanboys that've turned up recently espousing their many virtues as the be all and end all.

Welcome of course; but if you don't like it here, don't let the door slam your ar*e too hard on the way out. :poke:
small-logo.png

A

Anonymous

To those that don't want accuracy..

If you're not looking for an accurate reproduction of the recording, what are you looking for??

I'm not being funny here, i'm genuinely looking for an answer..

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:

I like actives, heard a few but can't be bothered with the pontificating frat and fanboys that've turned up recently espousing their many virtues as the be all and end all.

Welcome of course; but if you don't like it here, don't let the door slam your ar*e too hard on the way out. :poke:
small-logo.png

couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks. certainly don't need to be told that my choice of system is somehow not about music. i have no problem with his or anyone elses choice of kit, and i certainly wouldn't tell them that they should stop pretending it's about 'the music'.

T

the record spot

ooh.. said:
To those that don't want accuracy..

If you're not looking for an accurate reproduction of the recording, what are you looking for??

I'm not being funny here, i'm genuinely looking for an answer..

Who said anything about not wanting accuracy? Another of the reaches you make that are wide of the mark.

You're confusing "accuracy" in how the music sounds on - say - my stereo, against how you are describing your equipment. When I listen to music on my system, it sounds believeable, lifelike, piano sounds like piano, voices sound like voices and instruments generally sound like the instruments I imagine them to be.

Your way, the one you recently discovered and are pontificating with the zeal of the reformed addict, isn't the only one.

Nice one Max, you've spun your little thread out nicely here. Hope you're enjoying the joke.
small-logo.png

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Anyone that spends lots of time on fora discussing equipment, and then claims it's all about the music for them is either deluded or a liar!

actually, i'm going to guess that isn't aimed at me.

T

the record spot

Craig M. said:
the record spot said:

small-logo.png

couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks. certainly don't need to be told that my choice of system is somehow not about music. i have no problem with his or anyone elses choice of kit, and i certainly wouldn't tell them that they should stop pretending it's about 'the music'.

Door - swing - byeeee!

matthewpiano

Craig M. said:
matthewpiano said:
Nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend that it is about the music. It isn't. It is about science - more precisely it is about the science of recording sound and being able to accurately reproduce that recording.

Unfortunately the vast majority of recordings are inadequate and playing some of them on equipment which faithfully reproduces them down to the last detail can make them difficult to listen to whilst adding nothing to the musical experience.

For most of us, Hi-Fi is a broader term used to describe good quality equipment that plays music to a high standard and we want it to enable enjoyment of all the music we listen to, whatever the quality of the recording. This means that some degree of colouration, or distortion, is actually a positive for many listeners and what we do when we choose our equipment is choose the colouration that suits our listening requirements most successfully.

i could not disagree with this total rot anymore if i tried. it's not about the music? why on earth do you think i listen to music, as some kind of experiment? an awful lot of my music is rock and pop, very little of it is well recorded, i love listening to it on my system. not about the music? i don't think you know what you are talking about. i have gone for the system that gives me more pleasure and enjoyment then any other i've heard when listening to music, no other reason. absolute, total and utter garbage.

You are out of order. I haven't said that you don't care about the music. What I am saying is that the obsession with 0.000001% distortion and the dogmatic use of the word accuracy has very little to do with music. Music is about what you hear, not what you can measure and my post was a calm and friendly antidote to the obvious need of some people to shove their opinions down everybody else's throat.

Whether you agree with me or not there is no need to attack. In over 4 years on this forum I have never been anything but polite.

matthewpiano

Craig M. said:
daveh75 said:
Anyone that spends lots of time on fora discussing equipment, and then claims it's all about the music for them is either deluded or a liar!

actually, i'm going to guess that isn't aimed at me.

I would never claim that I'm not interested in the equipment, though ultimately my interest in hi-fi is a product of my love for music as I guess it is for most people on here. That really wasn't the point I was trying to make, but never mind. Now I know why I generally don't get involved in these long, circular threads.

T

the record spot

Craig's Mission Statement:-

Mods - A reminder to all not to attack other members. This thread has reached the end of its useful life.
small-logo.png

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Craig M. said:
matthewpiano said:
Nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend that it is about the music. It isn't. It is about science - more precisely it is about the science of recording sound and being able to accurately reproduce that recording.

Unfortunately the vast majority of recordings are inadequate and playing some of them on equipment which faithfully reproduces them down to the last detail can make them difficult to listen to whilst adding nothing to the musical experience.

For most of us, Hi-Fi is a broader term used to describe good quality equipment that plays music to a high standard and we want it to enable enjoyment of all the music we listen to, whatever the quality of the recording. This means that some degree of colouration, or distortion, is actually a positive for many listeners and what we do when we choose our equipment is choose the colouration that suits our listening requirements most successfully.

i could not disagree with this total rot anymore if i tried. it's not about the music? why on earth do you think i listen to music, as some kind of experiment? an awful lot of my music is rock and pop, very little of it is well recorded, i love listening to it on my system. not about the music? i don't think you know what you are talking about. i have gone for the system that gives me more pleasure and enjoyment then any other i've heard when listening to music, no other reason. absolute, total and utter garbage.

You are out of order. I haven't said that you don't care about the music. What I am saying is that the obsession with 0.000001% distortion and the dogmatic use of the word accuracy has very little to do with music. Music is about what you hear, not what you can measure and my post was a calm and friendly antidote to the obvious need of some people to shove their opinions down everybody else's throat.

Whether you agree with me or not there is no need to attack. In over 4 years on this forum I have never been anything but polite.

i don't have an obsession about distortion, i don't like it, but it isn't an obsession. i only brought up the word accuracy in response to some of the other posts on here hinting that is was some unattainable goal, or had no place in a discussion of equipment. i merely pointed out that there is such a thing as accuracy and how it would be quantified. as i've already said to cno, i couldn't care less whether my system is accurate or not, i bought it and kept it because i love listening to it. and you're right, i've never seen you being anything other than polite, but really, 'don't pretend it's about the music. it isn't' is a strong statement to make about someones choice of kit.

TRENDING THREADS