Are my tweeters dying

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased a pair of TDL RTL2 speakers and only now been able to use my Audiolab 8000c 8000p with decent ish speakers. I have noticed since the last time I head my audiolab (not with the TDL's) that I have to turn the treble all the way up to get a decent level in the High Frequency pressing the Tone Bypass just makes it sound like there's carpet over the speakers (ok not that bad but you get the just dull and no HF). I have changed all the cabling to Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade aswell as the interconnects, changed the CD Player to a NAD 514 soooo.... What is my next move. I would be gutted if the Audiolab gear was up the spout since it will cost £200 to get it serviced which is money I cant afford to flutter away.

Any help guidance or experience is valued. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
I recently purchased a pair of TDL RTL2 speakers and only now been able to use my Audiolab 8000c 8000p with decent ish speakers. I have noticed since the last time I head my audiolab (not with the TDL's) that I have to turn the treble all the way up to get a decent level in the High Frequency pressing the Tone Bypass just makes it sound like there's carpet over the speakers (ok not that bad but you get the just dull and no HF). I have changed all the cabling to Van Damme Blue Series Studio Grade aswell as the interconnects, changed the CD Player to a NAD 514 soooo.... What is my next move. I would be gutted if the Audiolab gear was up the spout since it will cost £200 to get it serviced which is money I cant afford to flutter away.

Beg, borrow or steal another pair of speakers. It doesn't matter what they are (even if they are £20 from ebay) so long as they are completely in good working order.

Do they have nomal levels of treble?

No? Sort out amp.

Yes? Sort out TDL speakers.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
geneticaurora said:

Could be your hearing, the treble is the first thing to go.

A

Anonymous

I am Bi-wiring and dont have the links between the terminals. I tried putting the links back on with one set of cabling and still the same :(

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
geneticaurora said:

Could be your hearing, the treble is the first thing to go.

Fair comment but when my Kitchen DAB radio sounds clearer I know theres a definite problem

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
Remove the bi-wire links and run just one set of cables to the HF inputs and see if the tweeters are in fact working.

Yep tried that last night and the tweeters are working just about they sound very dull like the treble has been turned down. Kind of treble youd expect from a really crap mini system. When I turn the treble all the way up on the amp yes you finally you can hear the HF more but then it sounds incredibly harsh

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
eggontoast said:
Remove the bi-wire links and run just one set of cables to the HF inputs and see if the tweeters are in fact working.

Yep tried that last night and the tweeters are working just about they sound very dull like the treble has been turned down. Kind of treble youd expect from a really crap mini system. When I turn the treble all the way up on the amp yes you finally you can hear the HF more but then it sounds incredibly harsh
Sounds like they have been partially frazzeled. Do you have a DVM to measure the coil resistance of the tweeters with ?

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
geneticaurora said:
eggontoast said:

Sounds like they have been partially frazzeled. Do you have a DVM to measure the coil resistance of the tweeters with ?

Yeah got one lying around somewhere what value should I be looking for. Also do you think the Audiolab gear could be at fault here as its the same on both speakers

Really apperciate everyones help so far :)

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
geneticaurora said:
John Duncan said:
Fiver on The_LHC...

Whats a LHC?

What terrible grammar, it's *THE* LHC!

I am soooo sorry what is THE LHC
smiley-cool.gif

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
Yeah got one lying around somewhere what value should I be looking for.
Its not set in stone as it varys depending on speaker design and ambient temperature but approx 6-8 ohms.

geneticaurora said:
Also do you think the Audiolab gear could be at fault here as its the same on both speakers
Anything is possible, you could try to eliminate the power amplifier by running a portable media player from the headphone socket into it via a 3.5mm to RCA lead (make sure you have the volume at minimum though :) ) and try what Chebby suggested at the beginning and use some different speakers. I take it is the same from all sources connected to the amplifier, also what was done during the recent service ?

A

Anonymous

I presume you bought the RTL2's secondhand - TDL went bust many years ago! They were a budget floorstander circa £250 in the mid 1990's. You need to try them with a different amp to see if they are still dull as others have suggested. In my experience tweeters usually work or they don't. If the speakers are the problem then one possibility is over driving by the previous owner which has caused damage to both crossovers - this would affect treble performance. In any case if the speakers are duff contact the seller and get your money back! Repair is pretty much out of the question as the company no longer exist.

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
geneticaurora said:
Yeah got one lying around somewhere what value should I be looking for.
Its not set in stone as it varys depending on speaker design and ambient temperature but approx 6-8 ohms.

geneticaurora said:
Also do you think the Audiolab gear could be at fault here as its the same on both speakers
Anything is possible, you could try to eliminate the power amplifier by running a portable media player from the headphone socket into it via a 3.5mm to RCA lead (make sure you have the volume at minimum though :) ) and try what Chebby suggested at the beginning and use some different speakers. I take it is the same from all sources connected to the amplifier, also what was done during the recent service ?

Just tried a completely different amp ssssh its a Fisher CA35 (doesent sound bad weirdly) and still the same issue so atleast that rules out the Audiolab more. But I will try using my media player through the power to eliminate it even further. Also tried a different interconnect so ruled that out. Yes its the same from all sources

A

Anonymous

a91gti said:
You seem to have a clue about wiring speakers up so I suppose you've tried reversing the polarity?

Polarity wise everything is in check but what the hell I could try reversing them for the fun of it. if that works I will eat a hat

A

Anonymous

I spoke with Wimslow Audio and they mentioned a tweeter replacement but I should definitely consider replacing the capcitors on the crossover.

That ring true and sound (pun) with you all?

A

Anonymous

Wardi said:
I presume you bought the RTL2's secondhand - TDL went bust many years ago! They were a budget floorstander circa £250 in the mid 1990's. You need to try them with a different amp to see if they are still dull as others have suggested. In my experience tweeters usually work or they don't. If the speakers are the problem then one possibility is over driving by the previous owner which has caused damage to both crossovers - this would affect treble performance. In any case if the speakers are duff contact the seller and get your money back! Repair is pretty much out of the question as the company no longer exist.

Just seen your post and its like you read my mind or atleast when I was on the phone to Wimslow Audio. I am going to try replacing the capcitors and see how I go. I have tried it with a different amp and still the same issue.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
geneticaurora said:
Just tried a completely different amp ssssh its a Fisher CA35 (doesent sound bad weirdly) and still the same issue so atleast that rules out the Audiolab more. But I will try using my media player through the power to eliminate it even further. Also tried a different interconnect so ruled that out. Yes its the same from all sources
I think that is pretty conclusive that it's the speakers at fault.

geneticaurora said:
I spoke with Wimslow Audio and they mentioned a tweeter replacement but I should definitely consider replacing the capacitors on the crossover.
Are replacement tweeters still available ? You could try replacing the caps in crossover but I would be shocked if it was them. Any overload to that extent would have vaporised the voice coils long before damaging the capacitors, but it's worth a try as it will be the cheapest option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts