are my ears deceiving me ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
youre right bh thats what happened in my last system which was very expensive and i was forever finding faults because i paid so much for it ..yiu dont always have to spend a fortune

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
whiskywheels said:
What do you expect from;

a) The Beatles?

b) A piece of music with limited dynamic range and tone?

c) Old recording technology?

I've not heard Come Together on CD. I have Abbey Road on vinyl. It's a well recorded piece of music. Good clarity, good dynamic range with slightly odd dual mono soundstaging. I'd say it's at least as good a recording as 75% of the modern stuff I've got. Certainly good enough to use as a test track.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
:)
audioaddict said:
youre right bh thats what happened in my last system which was very expensive and i was forever finding faults because i paid so much for it ..yiu dont always have to spend a fortune

you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy music ....... So true

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thans lind youre so right about that track and the beatles abby road albu on vinyl ,,i have a reissued copy on 180 gram but ive read it wldt compare to the original copy

A

Anonymous

audioaddict said:
Thans lind youre so right about that track and the beatles abby road albu on vinyl ,,i have a reissued copy on 180 gram but ive read it wldt compare to the original copy

I've got original copy, 1980's reissue on vinyl and the apple USB all very good.

Fantastic album

A

Anonymous

audioaddict said:
it is an awsome album how is your rega brio amp ? is it as musical as ive read

I'm enjoying the R very much thanks. I think its musical just wondering about upgrading the

speakers as I've seen this amp being used with some speakers way ahead of mine, but

saying that I am enjoying the sound especially now the speakers are on stands.

Abbey Road is agreat album

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I would say if youre happy with your sound dont change but no harm in having a listen to different speakers with your amp....ive read on here that the brio r goes well with my bw cm1s ....very classy small speaker with huge bass for their size and not overly expensive either

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
audioaddict said:
I would say if youre happy with your sound dont change but no harm in having a listen to different speakers with your amp....ive read on here that the brio r goes well with my bw cm1s ....very classy small speaker with huge bass for their size and not overly expensive either

I tried the CM1s with the Brio R, did not think it went well, did not have enough power to drive those insensitive speakers.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I can see the attraction of a low cost sytem, just get on and play the music. I think that the more you spend the more you worry about problems in your expensive system and the more you listen to the system rather than the music. Plenty posts on here about problems in expensive systems, on a cheap system you would not worry about them or even notice them.

I agree in the sense that it's not always a good idea to throw a lot of money at hi-fi. It's important to know what you want out of a system before you start to spend. If you spend a lot on a system, you're bound to have high expectations; if you didn't have high expectations, it would be irrational to spend the money in the first place. If your high expectations are going to make you permanently dissatisfied, then it's a good idea to recognise the fact at the outset.

Having said that, I find the cliche about "listening to the system, not the music" is .. well, just a cliche. There are, of course, different ways of listening to music. For me, analysing music intellectually is a large part of the pleasure. I do the same when I read for pleasure. It's just how I am. A high-quality, revealing system allows me to see inside the music, to pick up more of its structure, than a less revealing system. I'm not saying this is a better way of listening to music; it's just different. I'm also very happy singing along to music on my car stereo.

Hi-fi isn't "one size fits all".

Apologies for the :rant:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Very true Matt49.

I have detailed elsewhere how I chased the dream to the tune of nearly £30k back in the nineties but in this case the system became the performance, not the music, very much not a cliche in my case.

How people listen is very complex too, I am not, in general terms an analytical listener but one thing does bother me a lot and that is listening to the same recording over and over again.

This I simply can not do, hearing the same piece of music, played in exactly the same way, time after time drives me potty, I hate it. Music that I have bought gets played, critically that is, no more than half a dozen times, if it is contempory, a few favourite tracks get added to my iPod for use in the gym, thats it.

As you can imagine, I pay my £10 to Spotify with pleasure!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
im gad you told me that big h otherwise i might have gone down that route.........plus matt and dave are right too as when you do spend a fortune on a system the expectations are higher . when i bought my last audiolab system, 3k it came too with mono blocs the whole shebang i just cldnt live with it yet kept telling myself how great it was but over long periods i just had to turn the thing off. I guess my point of this post was that , no, you dont have to spend a fortune to get great sound and if you are happy with your system, try not to worry too much about what else is out there. Like i said i only popped into hughes for a quick listen just too see if i was deluding myself about the marantz cr603 and i really havent been because it really does sound good enough for me not to have to worry about an expensice pile of separates. I think another 603 owner chebby said on this post that his previous more expensive system would be sold first on ebay before the marantz which speaks volumes

BigH said:
audioaddict said:

I tried the CM1s with the Brio R, did not think it went well, did not have enough power to drive those insensitive speakers.

The OPs Marantz is only 10 watts more, and he seems satisfied with the overall result. The Brio-R is meant to drive Totems, they are no easier to drive than the CM1s. Plus I've heard the CM1s on the end of a 40 watt Rotel and it played the music to resonable levels.

TRENDING THREADS