Bigjohn120

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm new to this forum, but very old to hifi. In fact I've been buying, building and modifying hifi kit since about 1972. My current system is fully active and is made up of bits of kit which I believe punch well above their weight, together with some home built gear.

The main components are as follows:

Cambridge Audio Azur 550C Cd player with modified power supply and additional case damping sat on a homemade isolation platform. Denon PMA720AE amp used as a preamp (because I like it's clean front end). Also useful for testing conventional loudspeakers from time to time. A pair of Behringer 24dB/Octave electronic crossovers set up as a stereo 3 way system (crossing over at 240Hz and 1750Hz). Improved PSU and higher definition op amps where it counts. A Behringer stereo HD 15 band EQ used for room alignment. A Rotel RB-976 Mk2 6 channel power amp with modified main power supplies and additional supply smoothing to the VA sections of the poweramp boards. They also run at a higher quienscent current than normal. Also, the internal ground paths have been reworked. The speakers are of my own design and consist of 6.5" and 8" Peerless Nomex drivers for mid and bass (reflex loaded) SEAS alu/titanium dome tweeters. The speakers weigh over 30kg each and the cabinets are over 50mm thick in places. Obviously no crossovers with an active system!!! I also have a modified Pioneer PL300X turntable, which I bough new in the early 1980s, with AT95E cartridge, also sat on an isolation platform. Cables are good quality, but nothing fancy. The system is balanced (measured) in room using calibrated microphones and a PC running various audio analysis packages through a bi-directional studio standard DAC/ADC system.

What does it sound like? Pretty damn good actually. I've actually had people with absolutely no interest in audio (and with no prompting) remark on how "real" it sounds.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome,

I enjoyed reading about your set up. I think you should re-post this over in the main hifi section of the forum as I'm sure you'd get a much better and well deserved response.

I agree it would be great to see some pictures of your kit. I'm especially interested as I've gone a much more conventional active route.

TRENDING THREADS