Are Internet Radio streamers / DAB tuners worth the money ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Forgive me if this has been answered before, but I can't find it anywhere.... My System: PrimaLuna Prologue II, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor, Naim CD5, Technics SL1210 MK2. The area my system lacks is a consolidated radio solution. Currently I have a Tivoli Audio DAB/FM radio plugged into the amp and I have an iphone in a normal ipod dock and use the Pure Lounge app for internet radio. This solution works fine, however there are v good reviews out there for the the Naim Unitiqute and Rotel RDG-1520 type products. Are these that much better than the disjointed way I have it ? Given we are at the mercy of poor bit-rates, variable DAB transmission and internet/wifi connection issues, does can forking out £500 - £1500 be that much better than a £5 app and £50 radio ?

A

Anonymous

If I were looking for a DAB tuner, I would look for (well, demand) two things: DAB+ compatibility (higher bitrates), and a digital output. Whether a particular device is worth your money is a very personal choice. If the sound quality is really good and its signal tracking is excellent, I can see it being worth that kind of money. Then again, I have no experience with DAB so maybe your radio + external DAC would be just as good.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Depends how much you value radio sound quality. DAB is generally considered somewhat inferior - for example, the best quality BBC DAB broadcast is Radio 3 at 192kbit/s MP2. There is a growing number of internet radio stations which broadcast at 320kbit/s AAC. Streamers like the Unitiqute can receive these in a very convenient user-friendly package. The Qute will also act as a digital iPod dock, bypassing the iPod's DAC for better sound quality. A cheaper and more flexible option would be to buy a laptop/netbook and a stand-alone DAC.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Depends what radio station you listen to.

I was playing Radio 3 HD at 320kbps using my Squeezebox TransporterAudio Analogue Maestro SetantaSonus Faber Concerto hi-fi. Dropped in a mid-range Sony FM tuner with external aerial and it was way better on live concerts than the internet stream.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Don't know.

But i listened to a lot of Glastonbury festival over that weekend on Radio 6 which was broadcast in HD and it was some of the best streamed radio i've heard, very good indeed.

If all streamed radio was on a par with that broadcast it would be a pleasure to listen too again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts