Looking for a good internet hi-fi separate tuner - recommendations please

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, a new member here with some info needed please on internet radio tuner hi-fi separates.

My wife is (rightly) fed up of me going into the study to go on the
computer to listen to internet radio streams, and so a hi-fi component
that can do the same thing hooked up to the stereo system in the living
room is the best solution as far as I'm concerned. We may end up
getting another laptop but this will be for business use and so out of
the question. Having a computer in the living room is not an option.

I'd like to be able to do all the necessary things like adding streams,
selecting presets, searching for new stations etc using just the tuner,
NO computer involved. Can some of the higher-end tuners do all
this by connecting to the Reciva (or whatever) database they use to
check for updates, new streams, changes to existing streams, download
new codecs etc.?

The only two options I've come across so far which show promise are the Rotel RDG-1520 (not out yet) or the Tangent NET-200 (seems to be very scarce). Does anyone know any more about these two or know of any others that fit the bill, preferably £300-500?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure of the rest of your system, but have you thought about the Sonos products? You'd have access to internet radio stations, as well as Napster, and also have the option of linking to a PC at a later date for your existing CD catalogue, and also going multi-room. It just depends on the sound quality you're after - the remote and Zoneplayer ZP90 will come in at the top end of your mentioned budget, using it's own internal digital to analogue conversion.The addition of a DAC will bring it up to audiophile quality. This may cost a little more in the long run, but is more versatile and gives you access to much more than just internet radio stations.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason the Rotel and Tangent appeal is because the info mentions good quality DACs and analogue outputs, so presumably this means better audio quality than a portable. They would also blend in better with my stereo system, and to have the ability to do everything on the tuner is a big plus.

Would the others suggested sound as good?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can't help but feel the 15-series model won't be the only Rotel internet tuner launched in the next few months.

Call it a hunch, call it intuition, call it a hastily recalled picture sent out by a PR person, but I have an inkling...

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Ooh, is that inside information?
emotion-5.gif

I hope they do because £700 is more than I'd like to pay. The ability to play ogg and FLAC streams would be nice too...

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have any more information on what's happening on the Rotel RDG-1520? I read that it was supposed to be available from January 1st but I can't find any for sale on pre-order anywhere. Has the release been delayed?

I have a Rotel RA-04 amp so a Rotel tuner would be a good match.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
We are staying in Exeter at the moment and I went to one of the independent hi-fi stores today and asked about the Rotel RDG-1520 internet tuner, but the dealer there didn't know anything about it. He said that if it was due on January 1st he would have heard something by now as they do stock Rotel gear. So to me this suggests that Rotel has delayed the release of this model. He did say he'd heard that Onkyo are planning to release an internet hi-fi tuner so this sounds promising.

Also, there are details of another Rotel internet tuner, the RT-09

http://www.rotel.com/uk/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=492

but this seems to be the only source of info on this model, and I don't know if this has now become the RDG-1520 or whether it's a release planned further down the line.

I think the next step is to email Rotel and see what happens.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered Airport Express with the Airfoil application which can be downloaded from Rogue Amoeba for $25? It works beautifully and will stream whatever you're listening to on your computer.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I may try that but I have been told I could possibly get an upgrade to a modem with built-in wireless router by contacting my ISP as apparently they come as standard with many packages now.

This is my wish-list of features for an internet radio tuner:

Plays MP3, WMA, Real, AAC, AAC+, Ogg, FLAC and WAV and supports lossless streams (there is a good US station that streams WAV at 1.4 Mb/s), and high-res audio for futureproofing

Automatically connects to database and updates in real time as streams are added

Where several streams are available, the ability to see details so it's easy to pick the highest quality stream

100 presets

Rotary tuning dial for quick and easy selection

High-quality DACs

Easy to read clear display that shows programme information/track titles where available

The ability to play the audio from Flash streams or the BBC iPlayer radio streams would be a good bonus too (the iPlayer streams are AAC+ at 128kb/s I believe)

So, anything out there fit the bill, or perhaps this wishlist might not come together until more hi-fi separate internet tuners are available?

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I've had a reply back from Rotel today about the RDG-1520: I am told that it will be available in late February.

I also asked about the RT-09, which there are details about here:

http://www.rotel.com/uk/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=492

This is going to be part of the 06SE Series (so more affordable) and is due late March. Both tuners play OGG streams and apparently are 'FLAC compatible'; I'm not sure if that means a firmware update or whether they will play FLAC out of the box. There are still a few items to be finalised before release.

I think I will certainly demo both of them and hopefully will get an RT-09 in the near future.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Any updates on the RT-09? It's listed on a couple of sites retailing for £699, but I've yet to see one in the flesh. Have Rotel got cold feet on this?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts