Are Blu-ray players dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

With 4K Blu-ray players being so cheap now who is going to buy a Blu-ray player now when you can just get a 4k Blu-ray player?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
I would not think so yet.

You would think the same would have happened with DVD players with BD players being so cheap but they are still widely sold, so there must still be a market for them.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
the price of 4K bluray players are still too high considering the additional purchases required of a decent sized 4K tv (over 50 inch) and possible change of A/V amp to decode the new surround formats available on 4K blurays, also the range of new release 4K blurays is still very small compared with standard bluray discs and finally certain independent film companies are still only releasing new films on dvd only to the uk market saying that to produce a bluray version would be too costly ( I know this because this is the answer I got when I wrote to one company regarding the non-release of a film I wanted on bluray).

I would like to get into 4K bluray at some point but at the moment I do not have the funds available and I think this goes for most people as well.

*music2*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My last Sony BD/DVD player cost about £85 and is stunning. We still watch plenty of content that is only sold on the DVD format without any BD or 4K options (I buy according to content not format).

I guess if you only buy based on resolution or contrast then it's different.

D

Deleted member 2457

If not the cheap ones how about the expensive ones? Surely they are now dead?

scene

gel said:
If not the cheap ones how about the expensive ones? Surely they are now dead?

Not for a while - as said there are a lot of people who aren't going to be getting 4K screens for a while, but still want high quality BD players, especially those with other features. For example, I'm toying with getting a Sony UHP-H1 - which I know upscales to 4K, so may not be the best example - but I haven't got a 4K screen, or an amp that handles Atmos, nor any plans to upgrade to 4K, but he universal nature of the player is what attracts me.

Also there's the whole ecosystem to consider, not just Player, Amp and screen/projector - there's the actual 4K BD - they're still expensive - 50% premium over Blu Ray is typical - and as yet the catalogue is not huge.

Personally, I think (unlike 3D) 4K will succeed, and down the line I'll get one - when I get my 100" screen...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A quick search on Google reveals it's very possible to buy a name-brand UHD blue ray player at any price from £85 (LG BP736, £84.99 @ Currys) to over a grand (Pioneer BDP-LX88, £1,099 @ Audible Fidelity). Considering with DVD, BD and UHD BD it's your telly which determines the PQ and SQ not the player (am I right? or is there wiggle room?), where does the rest of the money go? Seems to me that the LG is for someone who wants a UHD blu-ray player and the Pioneer is for someone who needs to spend £1,100...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
macdiddy said:
LG BP736 is not a genuine 4K UHD player (before everyone rushes to buy one) but takes standard bluray discs and upscales them to 4K resolution, the cheapest true 4K player I think is this Panasonic model.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpub700/pana-dmpub700

*music2*

£299 (with £100 off RRP) is still not what I would call 'cheap' but then - unlike gel - I have no present interest in 4K or HDR and my life doesn't revolve around televisions and their peripherals.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought 2 blu-ray players that double as cd transports outputed thru coaxial to my amps dac. As a bonus these play blu-rays, netflix and superbly both are DNLA compliant so I can stream movies and flac music from my computer. I think one was 85 pounds and the other was 90 pounds. They are the business for that money

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree with some of the other replys that 4k player are still too expensive and the discs for them are limited in number and still expensive as well.

I started a thread under the blu ray section about "the Panasonic DMPBDT180 in RS for £79 - would it be worth my while to get one of these to replace my Panasonic DMP-BDT300 with as I'm not sure about how worthwhile upgrading to a 4K Blu Ray player is at the moment?"

I'm going to read the review in the new issue of What Hi-Fi and I think that will be the route I will be taking if I decide to upgrade at all at present!

Samd

muljao said:
I bought 2 blu-ray players that double as cd transports outputed thru coaxial to my amps dac. As a bonus these play blu-rays, netflix and superbly both are DNLA compliant so I can stream movies and flac music from my computer. I think one was 85 pounds and the other was 90 pounds. They are the business for that money

..my 4k player cos it was free with my Samsung 8000 TV. It is the business for that money!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Samd said:
muljao said:

..my 4k player cos it was free with my Samsung 8000 TV. It is the business for that money!

Yes free gear is generally good value

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
LG BP736 is not a genuine 4K UHD player (before everyone rushes to buy one) but takes standard bluray discs and upscales them to 4K resolution, the cheapest true 4K player I think is this Panasonic model.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/panasonic/dmpub700/pana-dmpub700

*music2*

Fair play, though during my very brief scope of its specs I didn't see that made very clear. Bit naughty.

Have agree with Chebby's post above as well that 'cheap' is obviously relative. To me £300 is still quite a lot of money.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
With 4K Blu-ray players being so cheap now ...

What is 'cheap' to you?
£205 with 3 free 4k Blu-rays for a 4K Blu ray player:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_44&products_id=6047

£150 is an expensive Blu ray player for me now because you can get a lot more for your money at £205 and future proof yourself. Some used 4k Blu ray players have just been sold at £179 on Sevenoaks too. Panasonic now have two 4k Blu ray players at £300 with one a new one at full price at £299 that will soon drop I would imagine.

D

Deleted member 2457

I don't know anyone who buys a DVD player now, we still have a Panasonic one which we bought ex-display for about £45 about 15 years ago (but we never use it), I think Blu-ray players will go the same by the end of this year.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I don't know anyone who buys a DVD player now ...

So? How representative of the British public are the people you know? How many people have you asked?

Here is just one model of DVD player that has sold at least 1028 times just on Amazon UK alone. And even that only tells us about those who could be bothered to feed back. Multiply that out by ALL the retail outlets selling them and all the different DVD players and the 'quiet majority' who have never reviewed their purchases online and - I suspect - many tens of thousands are being sold still.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Some new films are still being released to the uk market in dvd only forcing me to look on Amazon and other sites for a blu-ray version which usually is the US release (quite expensive) or more common now the German or Australian release.

I contacted a film company to see why they were only releasing new films on dvd for the uk market even when there was a french blu-ray release for a film I wanted and their response was it cost too much and the demand was low.

*music2*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I think early adopters to 4k may end up kicking themselves if Dolby Vision catches on and part of their chain (player/AVR/display) doesn't support it or the manufacturer concerned doesn't (or can't) offer DV firmware upgrades in a generous backward-compatible sort of way.

The dynamic nature of Dolby Vision compare to HDR seems far superior IMO (in theory at least, I can't say I've compared the two). So I personally think DV compatible components are worth waiting for.

It always pays to wait a little for new formats to establish themselves and usually the hardware and software lowers to more realistic prices.

buzz_lightclick

MajorFubar said:
A quick search on Google reveals it's very possible to buy a name-brand UHD blue ray player at any price from £85 (LG BP736, £84.99 @ Currys) to over a grand (Pioneer BDP-LX88, £1,099 @ Audible Fidelity). Considering with DVD, BD and UHD BD it's your telly which determines the PQ and SQ not the player (am I right? or is there wiggle room?), where does the rest of the money go? Seems to me that the LG is for someone who wants a UHD blu-ray player and the Pioneer is for someone who needs to spend £1,100...

I feel forced to point out since I own one that the Pioneer LX88 is not a 4K UHD player, it merely can upscale to 4K - it can't play 4K discs. How well it can upscale I don't know as I don't have a 4K screen, but it is very good for 1080p blu rays. A lot of the cost is down to the audio side with expensive ESS Sabre DACs and the build quality as it is built like a small amp.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people, like myself, have yet to make the leap to 4K BDs as the range of movies available is still very limited and mostly combined to the Spiderman vs. The Braintree Women's Institute "blockbusters" that we grown-ups abhore. Therefore, if my 1080p BDP let's it's smoke escape, I'm going to buy another 1080p BDP and wait for the second (or third) wave of 4K BDPs to come out, capable of UHD, Dolby Vision, whatever's next, before buying. Added to which, with a back catalogues of several hundred DVDs and 1080p BDs to watch, there needs to be a LOT more choice in the style of 4K BD discs to buy.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My system is 4k TV and 4k player but i don't watch 4k content.blu ray uprate to 4k is amazing from my Samsung player.so if you have a 4k TV i would highly recommend a 4k player just for the uprating

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts