arcam Solo Mini Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just boughtan Arcam solo Mini and I think it's a good bit of kit for an all-in-one.

I need some stand mounted speakers to go with it. Iv'e seen reviews with £150 to £2000 speakers, and all good but I'm wondering what the lowest price point would really do the Arcam justice ?

I was thinking of rhe Mordant Short 902i's at £150 and although they are good , are they good enough ?

My next thought is to try the EB ACOUSICS EB 1's at £470 with great reviews ?

Any thoughts ?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i found the arcam solo and ms 902i a little bit dull to be honest - i never got on with the 902i they just always sounded nuddled to me although i know what hi fi raved about them - maaybe to your taste if you can spend just a little more i am sure it will be worth - have a look around the 200 to 250 mark

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
You could do hell of a lot better with the M/A BR2's as well.

The MB's look very good with rave reviews as well but the fact that you cant demo until youve bought them would personally put me off a little bit.

What kind of music do you listen to?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well Dan can't see why he can't audition the speakers the solo is not exactly big to take along for an audition but i do agree the MA's are a great speaker but so are the Mordaunt Shorts, i like the the MS my son is an MA fan we have great discussions on the merits of both but back to the OP at least try before you buy and it will also depend on your budget.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don't stint on the speakers. Spend as much as you can reasonably afford/save up longer.

Have you got stands? If not then you will be better off getting the best stands you can now.

I would suggest - as a starting point - Rega RS1 (£380) with decent quality £150 stands like Partington Trophy's (actually £115 - £130 depending on where you get them) and Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable (high purity copper despite the misleading name).

Whichever small standmount speaker you go for make sure it is 90db efficiency (or very close) to get the best out of the Solo-Mini.

That was partly why the Solo-Mini was so successful with the £2400 Living Voice Auditorium speakers in that review you mentioned. The LV's are about 92db efficiency so the Solo-Mini amp did not run out of puff.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Don't disagree with you chebby but how much should we save up for, most of us here want a great sound for a reasonable outlay, some can afford to save and some want results with the money they have now, i want the Rega p7 as i think you do but i cant have it now because other commitments come into play and lets be honest it's the music that matters because, there is music i can hear on a portable radio that still gives me goose bumps without hearing it on a system out of reach of most peoples budget but to hear it on the system of your dreams is attainable on most eveyones budget if it's within reason within our budget or should we save forever.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory:Don't disagree with you chebby but how much should we save up for, most of us here want a great sound for a reasonable outlay, some can afford to save and some want results with the money they have now...

I let my suggestion of £380 Rega RS1 speakers be guided by the OP saying....

"I was thinking of the Mordant Short 902i's at £150 "

and...

"My next thought is to try the EB ACOUSICS EB 1's at £470 with great reviews ?"

That is why I made a suggestion costing somewhere between the £150 and £470 speakers mentioned in the original post.

(The £2400 Living Voice speakers were only mentioned - not suggested - because they were used in an Arcam Solo-Mini review last year that the the OP alludes to.)

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
i used to own the ms902i's they are exceptional, unbeatable infact for the money. i auditioned the against ma br1's which at the time cost roughly the same, and there was no comparison. the ms are wide open expansive and detailed in a way the br1's couldnt match, the bass wasnt as low as some could go, but what there was of it was tight and fast. the only thing with them is that ideally need to be 18" + away from wall, or they can be a tad boomy with the rear port. so they might be worth a listen, then its up to you if you want to spend more, but unless the br2's are a hell of alot better than they're predecessor then i wouldnt pay the extra £100 over the 902i's.

then again if you like your bass, i would!

plus like someones allready said you might want to spend a tad more tbh. i used them with ca 540c cdp + amp, for which they were perfect. ive never heard arcam gear, but i believe its rich, laid back warm etc, so they would brighten it up a tad if thats what your after.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Fair point on the Regas, the op has no need to save up as you have made a suggestion within budget, thats my point, no need to save more.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory:....i want the Rega p7 as i think you do...

If I could only choose from Rega TT's then I would choose a P5 or P9 and skip the P7. I don't like the uggerly 'inverted moon-base' platter. (Sorry for being off-topic.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts