Question Nice budget active speakers

whitejhon

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am planning into getting a good active speaker, but I am currently lost on what to buy.

For reference, I used to have a Edifier s1000DB back in 2017, those sounded amazing for me (lacked a little bit of bass though, but still, I really liked the sound).

And now I want to get back to listening to some clear and nice sound again, both while listening to music and watching TV/Movies, so I started researching in the past few weeks.

I currently have 3 models in mind:
- Edifier s3000Pro ( 4150 Danish Krone if I get luck, usually 6300 DKK)
- Klipsch The Fives (around 7400 DKK)
- KEF LSX ii (around 11000 DKK)

I even considered going all the way up to the LS50 Wireless 2, but those are WAY over the budget and some reviews actually said the S3000Pro is a viable alternative to those monsters. Sonos Five was also in the equation, but they lack connections to be used with the TV/XBox.

So from what I've seen, s3000Pro would be the best economic choice, The Fives would be the well balanced choice and LSXs would be the best quality choice.

s3000Pro is 3 or 4 years old, don't have nearly close tech to the other 2, while the Fives are well balanced, BUT lack on Bass (and also are not wireless connected), and the LSX ii is just plain expensive hehehehe, but have amazing sound and tech.

I'd really like to avoid it due to the price, but I leaning towards the LSXs. It would also allow me to pair with more KEF speakers in the future, while the other two wouldn't.

So, I come to you guys to weight in your opinions, what are your thoughts? Which one would you vouch for?? Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi guys,

I am planning into getting a good active speaker, but I am currently lost on what to buy.

For reference, I used to have a Edifier s1000DB back in 2017, those sounded amazing for me (lacked a little bit of bass though, but still, I really liked the sound).

And now I want to get back to listening to some clear and nice sound again, both while listening to music and watching TV/Movies, so I started researching in the past few weeks.

I currently have 3 models in mind:
- Edifier s3000Pro ( 4150 Danish Krone if I get luck, usually 6300 DKK)
- Klipsch The Fives (around 7400 DKK)
- KEF LSX ii (around 11000 DKK)

I even considered going all the way up to the LS50 Wireless 2, but those are WAY over the budget and some reviews actually said the S3000Pro is a viable alternative to those monsters. Sonos Five was also in the equation, but they lack connections to be used with the TV/XBox.

So from what I've seen, s3000Pro would be the best economic choice, The Fives would be the well balanced choice and LSXs would be the best quality choice.

s3000Pro is 3 or 4 years old, don't have nearly close tech to the other 2, while the Fives are well balanced, BUT lack on Bass (and also are not wireless connected), and the LSX ii is just plain expensive hehehehe, but have amazing sound and tech.

I'd really like to avoid it due to the price, but I leaning towards the LSXs. It would also allow me to pair with more KEF speakers in the future, while the other two wouldn't.

So, I come to you guys to weight in your opinions, what are your thoughts? Which one would you vouch for?? Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance guys!
Wait and see if you can find some open-box or ex-demonstation LSX's?

Reactions: whitejhon

whitejhon

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

for now I'll be keeping an eye for the demo LSX, and do some research around the LYD 7 and Tangent!!

Appreciate your help!

record_spot

Did you ever decide on the actives? The LSXs look terrific and the new ones are supposedly bundled with an improved KEF app (which is a must - any active coming with onboard streaming capability, or indeed, any streamer for that matter, turning up with a sub-par app might as well bail from the show in short order).

If not, do also consider the Tannoy Gold and - should you happen upon a pair, which you may well do in pro-audio circles - Acoustic Energy's AE22 Active. Pretty much one of the finest speakers put out in the last 20 years. Stunning clarity, lovely midrange and a good bass. £800 (or maybe £900) new, you'll get a mint pair for half that now. Yes, you'll need to add all the other bits (preamp, sources) but my God, you'll have a cracker of a setup.

whitejhon

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Hey @record_spot , I've still not decided.

I've been waiting for the Edifier s3000Pro to get back on stock, while I continue my search!

Yes, LSXs are amazing from what I've seen, BUT, most of the reviews says it lacks a bit on the Bass end, which I really like, so I am a bit afraid of going that route and get disappointed :(

Meanwhile some friends at work are trying to push me into Sonos Beam gen 2 + Sub mini and a pair of Sonos Fives (which would cost a bit over the LSXs (at least here in Denmark). This way I could put the Beam + Sub mini on the TV, and keep the Fives in the living room for listening. I kind like the idea, but I'd also be losing a LOT of flexibility when compared with the LSXs connections and some compared with the Edifiers. The good thing is that if I buy from SONOS, I can return it within 100 days if I don't like it.

Does any one have any thoughts on this approach or have those SONOS speakers to share some thoughts??

Thank you @record_spot for your inputs, I really appreciate it!

Have a good weekend guys!

Reactions: record_spot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts