Arcam Solo Mini preamp outputs (and use with active speakers)

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in getting an Arcam Solo Mini, or possibly a Neo, for use in conjunction with active loudspeakers (type TBD). Does any reader, or indeed any of the WHFSV staff, have any experience of using the Solo Mini in this way ?

The Neo has been rated as better than the Mini for sound quality, and I assume that this mainly down to the extra headroom provided by the Neo's power amps ? But would this difference still apply when using the preamp outputs, or is the Neo still a better source ? (I probably wouldn't be making much use of the streaming capabilities of the Neo, but rather would be mainly use CDs).

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Maybe you should be looking at the Audiolab CD player that also has digital inputs and a pre-amp built in. No point buying a product with an amp you've no intention of using!

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that does seem to have some of the same functionality, although I doubt I would use the digital inputs. And many people have reported that they have problems reading CDs, which is a rather unfortunate limitation for a CD player !

Also, compared to either of the Arcam units, it is about as stylish as a breeze block !

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Maybe also you could look at Quad's new range. I'm pretty sure they have a CD Player/DAC/Preamp in one box which i think looks better than the Audiolab.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Also I'm surprised no one has suggested AVI ADM 9.1s. These would connect directly to your CD player optical out and they have a DAC and Pre/Power amp built in. An alternative is a separate CD player, pre amp and actives. Perhaps you ought to start a new thread and state what you hope to achieve rather than this one which only mentions the Arcams...

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
dave_k said:
Also I'm surprised no one has suggested AVI ADM 9.1s. These would connect directly to your CD player optical out and they have a DAC and Pre/Power amp built in. An alternative is a separate CD player, pre amp and actives. Perhaps you ought to start a new thread and state what you hope to achieve rather than this one which only mentions the Arcams...

Yes I have considered the ADM 9.1s, but I just don't like the concept of everything being in one speaker. The requirement to have a big ugly bundle of cables snaking across the floor to one speaker seems completely wrong to me.

I'm keen to have a stylish one box solution, not separates, and the Arcam Solo seems to be as good as it gets, apart perhaps from the Uniti.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dave_k said:
Maybe you should be looking at the Audiolab CD player that also has digital inputs and a pre-amp built in. No point buying a product with an amp you've no intention of using!

The Arcam Solo-Mini is £599 and the Audiolab 8200CDQ is £950.

No point in spending £350 more than you need to. (Assuming the Solo-Mini has all the sources you need.)

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
dave_k said:

The Arcam Solo-Mini is £599 and the Audiolab 8200CDQ is £950.

No point in spending £350 more than you need to. (Assuming the Solo-Mini has all the sources you need.)

Ah ok. To be honest I didn't look at the prices. The Neo is more expensive though...

manicm

I too have the Arcam Solo Mini. It's great but bear in mind that its best source is its CD player. I have the rDock and swear by it, but since it's analogue it's at the mercy of the iPod. In other words it makes a good fist of a silk purse facsimile from a pig's ear. Sorry to say this but true. That said, I find MP3s sound excellent on my Touch - better than ALAC/uncompressed somehow, and through the Mini/rDock very good indeed.

I'm hoping Arcam capitulate and release a new Mini with built-in digital iPod docking, alas they're steadfast with analogue - their rCube is analogue, believe it or not.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
cs2011 said:
Yes I have considered the ADM 9.1s, but I just don't like the concept of everything being in one speaker. The requirement to have a big ugly bundle of cables snaking across the floor to one speaker seems completely wrong to me.

I'm keen to have a stylish one box solution, not separates, and the Arcam Solo seems to be as good as it gets, apart perhaps from the Uniti.

what would you be planning on plugging into the adms? if it's just a cd player, that's just one optical cable. the adms make a very neat system and are amazing value for money. do you have any idea of which actives you will be looking at? i only ask as a livingroom friendly appearance, seems to be pretty thin on the ground where actives are concerned, sadly.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
what would you be planning on plugging into the adms? if it's just a cd player, that's just one optical cable. the adms make a very neat system and are amazing value for money. do you have any idea of which actives you will be looking at? i only ask as a livingroom friendly appearance, seems to be pretty thin on the ground where actives are concerned, sadly.

As a minimum, I would be using a CD player and the TV sound output. So with the mains cable and the signal cable linking the two speakers, that's a bundle of four cables. I may want to add some sort of HDD/SDD/iPod source too, at a later date.

I agree with your comment about the appearance of most active speakers - they generally look terrible.

TRENDING THREADS