Arcam SA20 vs. Cambridge CXA81

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
A friend is considering the Arcam SA20. He's listened to my Cambridge CXA81 with Wharfedale Diamond 11.4 floorstanders and is curious about how different the Arcam SA20 might sound.

I don't have any experience with Arcam. Any ideas?

Would the SA20 work well with the 11.4s?

Due to Covid it's difficult for him to demo at the moment.

Thanks.

I understand. But is there a general difference in sound between Arcam and Cambridge amps?
As above best wait until he can audition as not everyones idea of 'house sound' of a particular manufacturer is the same as everyones ears are different.
See if you can find any reviews like the Group Tests that HiFi Choice do and you might find some where the two products have been auditioned within the same group.

Reactions: matthewpiano

matthewpiano

I'd agree with the above comments about waiting to audition.

Generally I'd avoid Arcam and Wharfedale together as they could be too much of a good thing. Both brands have often erred towards a slightly safe presentation, occasionally veering towards being ponderous. I would generally agree with @rainsoothe that Arcam mostly works best with brighter speakers - B&W, Triangle and even Dali.

Rotel could make a very strong match with the Wharfedales, having more punch than Arcam but without veering towards brightness, and retaining some of the fluidity that makes Arcam such a favourite with many people.

In the end, this is all subjective commentary, and the best path for your friend is to audition a few options with his speakers.

Reactions: Al ears

Generally I'd avoid Arcam and Wharfedale together as they could be too much of a good thing. Both brands have often erred towards a slightly safe presentation, occasionally veering towards being ponderous. I would generally agree with @rainsoothe that Arcam mostly works best with brighter speakers - B&W, Triangle and even Dali.

Rotel could make a very strong match with the Wharfedales, having more punch than Arcam but without veering towards brightness, and retaining some of the fluidity that makes Arcam such a favourite with many people.

In the end, this is all subjective commentary, and the best path for your friend is to audition a few options with his speakers.
I would certainly concur regards the Rotel option.

I may be being unfair to the Wharfedales, but I’d have thought both models of amp are at the top end of what is a good match. That said, I’d always favour a better amp over an average one wherever possible.

Last edited:

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.

It's quite difficult to get Rotel where we live, unfortunately.

The one criticism he had for my system is that he thought that Cambridge was a tad too bright at times for his taste.

Would the SA20 be less so in general?

But I agree, trying to demo is the best option.

rainsoothe

Thank you for the replies.

It's quite difficult to get Rotel where we live, unfortunately.

The one criticism he had for my system is that he thought that Cambridge was a tad too bright at times for his taste.

Would the SA20 be less so in general?

But I agree, trying to demo is the best option.
Yes, it's smoother. Arcam make great sounding stuff, imo.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I have an Arcam SA 20. I use it with a pair of KEF Q550s, and I really enjoy the sound. When you can get to a dealer sit and have a good listen.

By the way I also have an Arcam CDS50, and connecting to the amp with a digital lead gives amazing sound.

matthewpiano

I have an Arcam SA 20. I use it with a pair of KEF Q550s, and I really enjoy the sound. When you can get to a dealer sit and have a good listen.

By the way I also have an Arcam CDS50, and connecting to the amp with a digital lead gives amazing sound.

Do you have any issues with the CDS50 cutting the beginning off the first track sometimes? It's an issue I read about in another forum when the player was first released, and I wondered whether it has been sorted with a firmware update...

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks @Greenwich_Man, that's very helpful. I am considering one with an SA20, as I've always found Arcam to be an excellent match with Dali. When I heard the CD-S50 with the SA10 (and Oberon 5s), I enjoyed the sound a great deal.

Yes I really enjoy the sound I get. I hope you enjoy it too. My speakers sound fantastic. I hope yours will too with this set up.

And do remember to connect the 2 devices with a digital lead. In my opinion thats the best sound you will get.

Last edited:

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Is it possible to assign inputs on the SA20?

I'm not sure. This question is a bit beyond me at the moment.

I plug a digital lead into the Arcam CDS50, the Digital Out Coax. Then I plug the end of the lead into either the BD or AV input on the Arcam SA20. Then select that on the amp.

The result is fantastic.

Last edited:

Alkot

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,
I'm going to buy Arcam SA20, but there is no ones in our shops (I'm from Russia).
Kindly help how could I order it from official manufacturer to get it faster? And I hope the quality will be higher if I order it from official manufacturer (I could be wrong).
Thank you in advance

rainsoothe

Hi - don't think you can order from Arcam, but you could look for an online seller and check if they ship to Russia (try richersounds). We also have a dealer in Romania - jack-fi.ro - maybe they can help.

1 question: what speakers do you want to run it with?

Alkot

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi - don't think you can order from Arcam, but you could look for an online seller and check if they ship to Russia (try richersounds). We also have a dealer in Romania - jack-fi.ro - maybe they can help.

1 question: what speakers do you want to run it with?

I have nothing at the moment.
I plan to buy:
1. Dali Opticon 6 mk2 (better than BW603; BW704; Monitor Audio Silver 200, 300; Fyne Audio 501...)
2. Arcam SA20 (better than Roksan K3, Cambridge Audio 60, Rotel 14)
3. Bluesound Node 2i (compared to nothing)
4. Wires: no idea)))

Honestly I haven't heard Arcam SA20, but I heard Arcam SA10 - sound was the better compared to amplifiers mentioned above. So I expect more power in sound with SA20 with the same character of sound. I prefer such music as Rock (Dire Straits, Metallica, System of a Down), Blues, Jazz.
Comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

Sorry, Matthew, can't totally agree on Arcam and Wharfedale being safe. Having owned the older Arcs they are quite safe, but the newer ones have Class G amplification. I demoed the A39 (same class) and they are closer to the Leema: More transparent and open with a midrange that's less creamy than the DIVA and early FMJs.

I would also throw into the mix Creek. They should work a treat with Wharfedale.

I have nothing at the moment.
I plan to buy:
1. Dali Opticon 6 mk2 (better than BW603; BW704; Monitor Audio Silver 200, 300; Fyne Audio 501...)
2. Arcam SA20 (better than Roksan K3, Cambridge Audio 60, Rotel 14)
3. Bluesound Node 2i (compared to nothing)
4. Wires: no idea)))

Honestly I haven't heard Arcam SA20, but I heard Arcam SA10 - sound was the better compared to amplifiers mentioned above. So I expect more power in sound with SA20 with the same character of sound. I prefer such music as Rock (Dire Straits, Metallica, System of a Down), Blues, Jazz.
Comments are appreciated.

Hiya Alkot

What brands are available local to you? Might be worth checking them out.

Also located a Arcam dealer in Moscow. Not sure if this is any good.

Reactions: Alkot

Alkot

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Hiya Alkot

What brands are available local to you? Might be worth checking them out.

Also located a Arcam dealer in Moscow. Not sure if this is any good.

Hi Plastic Penguin)
Thank you for comment. According to my budget there are only Roksan K3 and Arcam SA20.
I don't hear as much difference in sound as much in price (I compared Roksan K3 and Arcam SA10). So my choice is Arcam SA20.

Probably Cambridge Audio 81 could change my mind) Does anyone compare them?

Hi Plastic Penguin)
Thank you for comment. According to my budget there are only Roksan K3 and Arcam SA20.
I don't hear as much difference in sound as much in price (I compared Roksan K3 and Arcam SA10). So my choice is Arcam SA20.

Sorry, not these amps side by side. Have heard them in different dealers, both have their merits. Although from your speaker choice my hunch is the Arcam would be the safer bet.

rainsoothe

Hi Plastic Penguin)

You auditioned quite a few there, so go with your instinct and preferences and buy what you like. Haven't heard the new Dali Opticons, but they should be great. If your room can accomodate them, they should go great with the Arcam. If you can afford one and have the possibility to demo, try to also hear a Naim 5si (don't look at the wattage). Ask your dealer to partner it with speakers of your choice, then with what they would partner one with. Naim also goes great with the type of music you're listening too, but Arcam's "big sound" style might help more with badly recorded metal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts