Arcam SA20 sound problem

eric magar

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
I am puzzled by my amplifier's recent behavior. I play mp3 files through a laptop, connected to the amplifier's back CD plugs with an aux/3.5mm to RCA cable. After a short time, the sound in one channel becomes scratchy. With enough time, it gets faultier, eventually losing the sound altogether. Unplugging/replugging the aux cable immediately fixes the problem, for a while at least.

The problem appears to happen randomly in either channel, sometimes in both at once.

I've tried replacing the cable with a new one. Also plugged a different laptop. To no avail: the problem persists.

Any ideas? Please help!

(I live in Mexico City, The distributor is post-pandemic-overwhelmed , has an incredibly long waiting list...)

-E

eric magar

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Have you tried plugging in to a different socket set on the back of the amp, not CD?
Strange development. I switched the connection to the PVR and STB entries. Problem persisted in both, with a twist: un/re-plugging the 3.5mm cable in the headphone jack would emit a much much louder "pop" sound (volume held constant), bringing amplifier to stand-by, with a warning. I afterwards switched the connection back to CD, which inherited the louder pop/stand-by behavior. Then, after that last failure on CD, my problem appears to have disappeared. Does this offer any extra clues?

Strange development. I switched the connection to the PVR and STB entries. Problem persisted in both, with a twist: un/re-plugging the 3.5mm cable in the headphone jack would emit a much much louder "pop" sound (volume held constant), bringing amplifier to stand-by, with a warning. I afterwards switched the connection back to CD, which inherited the louder pop/stand-by behavior. Then, after that last failure on CD, my problem appears to have disappeared. Does this offer any extra clues?
Can you clarify what you are using as an amp?

Reactions: Dom

eric magar

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Thanks.
Only asked as I was not aware of who labelled their inputs like that.
Certainly sounds like you have an issue with the amp but to prove it you might have to find something else to test it with.
Can you connect a bluray or cd player to it and actually play a CD?
will test, and report...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts