Arcam rDac vs. DagMagic

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Both products get 5 stars, but the Arcam cost 70 pounds more. Can I thereby conclude the Arcam to be the best of the two?

And is the Arcam rDac also considered to be in the affordable range? WH states the Firestone Spitfire to be the best of the affordable DACs, if so is it better than the rDAC?

Alot of questions, I know :)

I'm going to sell my DagMagic and replace it with either the rDAC or the Spitfire. But don't know which yet.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hmmm, i would definitely want to demo the bass heavy rdac with the bass heavy dyns, just to make sure it didn't end up too bassy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
Both products get 5 stars, but the Arcam cost 70 pounds more. Can I thereby conclude the Arcam to be the best of the two?

And is the Arcam rDac also considered to be in the affordable range? WH states the Firestone Spitfire to be the best of the affordable DACs, if so is it better than the rDAC?

The rDac review has only just appeared in the latest issue (and online).

The Spitfire review is dated April 2010. (Months before the rDac was available to review.)

I doubt that the wording in any of the relevant DAC reviews - regarding their respective VFM rankings - will change yet, at least until there has been a comparative group test published in the magazine.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:hmmm, i would definitely want to demo the bass heavy rdac with the bass heavy dyns, just to make sure it didn't end up too bassy.

Seems (on paper) just right for my set-up then. Although I have never been a fan of what I consider to be the overwarm and bass rich DacMagic.

It would be a shame if the bass proved to be a problem, because I really like the look of the rDac and it is the right price and majors on getting the best from USB.

The review does state the bass is 'disciplined' as well as 'substantial' so hopefully nothing to worry about when I get to hear it.

I will not be rushing this decision though. The forthcoming £500 Rega DAC may be worth waiting and saving for.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I can't wait for a group test. As I've stated before I prefer the sound of my cd player to the dacmagic, so if the rdac is as good I can see the dacmagic and cd player going.

Don't get me wrong though, the dacmagic is working wonders for my sonos system.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You are right. My Dynaudios are very bass heavy. Actually I read the review differently. Thinking the bass was tight and disciplined. I would not say that my DacMagic lacks bass, but it does lack tight bass (don't get me wrong, it is tight, just not tight enough). Would like to hear how much tighter the rDac's bass is.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
My dilema is I prefer the bass of the dac magic and the mid range and treble of my cd player.

I hoping the rdac can combine the two so I have the best of both worlds.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yep, you are right.

I have googled other reviews of the rDAC, and most of them conclude that the rDAC is a bit laid back, removing some of the dynamics and exitement in music that requires a more "aggressive" sound. They also state that is normal for Arcam - like its their household sound. Making all kinds of music and quality of recording sound smooth and non-fatiguing.

From Hifi-choice:

The only real downside of this control and relaxed nature is that given a genuinely exciting recording, there is a sense that the rDAC is keeping some of the dynamics and force in check.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-accessories/arcam-rdac-714693/review?artc_pg=2#ixzz109wZDQj4

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
Yep, you are right.

I have googled other reviews of the rDAC, and most of them conclude that the rDAC is a bit laid back, removing some of the dynamics and exitement in music that requires a more "aggressive" sound. They also state that is normal for Arcam - like its their household sound. Making all kinds of music and quality of recording sound smooth and non-fatiguing.

From Hifi-choice:

The only real downside of this control and relaxed nature is that given a genuinely exciting recording, there is a sense that the rDAC is keeping some of the dynamics and force in check.

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-accessories/arcam-rdac-714693/review?artc_pg=2#ixzz109wZDQj4

Basically it sounds like an Arcam DAC. Arcam lovers will be happy, others will not like it. I've only ever used a high end Arcam dvd player (as a cd player) before and it was great. However, I don't see the point of changing a DacMagic, a Beresford or another similarly price DAC for the Arcam. I cannot see that it would bring that much more to the table. One other thing, I was expecting this DAC to look beautiful, Arcam normally finish its products very stylishly. I think the rDac is pretty 80s like - not for me.

Sliced Bread

Gerrardasnails:One other thing, I was expecting this DAC to look beautiful, Arcam normally finish its products very stylishly. I think the rDac is pretty 80s like - not for me.

I think it would look a lot better in Arcams black. I sent them a mail asking if it will ever be available in the black quite a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't get a reply.

Anyone know what would happen if you plug this into a CA cd player. Will it change the character of the CD player?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sliced Bread:
Gerrardasnails:One other thing, I was expecting this DAC to look beautiful, Arcam normally finish its products very stylishly. I think the rDac is pretty 80s like - not for me.

I think it would look a lot better in Arcams black. I sent them a mail asking if it will ever be available in the black quite a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I didn't get a reply.

Anyone know what would happen if you plug this into a CA cd player. Will it change the character of the CD player?

Yes, as you will be using the Arcam DAC and not the CA one.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of people love the Arcam sound.

I have nothing against the smooth sound, but is rDAC fast enough and punchy enough to play some good old rock with a fast bass drum? The DacMagic is pretty okay at that, but lacks some control when the music really starts playing. Does the rDAC offer better control and tightness in the bass comapred to DacMagic?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:....but is rDAC fast enough and punchy enough to play some good old rock with a fast bass drum? The DacMagic is pretty okay at that, but lacks some control when the music really starts playing. Does the rDAC offer better control and tightness in the bass comapred to DacMagic?

There is a review and there are people in this thread who already own one.

There is also the option of listening to one at your nearest Arcam dealer (as I will be soon.)

Otherwise the rest is speculation.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yep, but the review seems to contradict what other reviews state, so I'm curious to know if the rDAC is able to play rock with a tight and dynamic sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Peter Larsen:Yep, but the review seems to contradict what other reviews state, so I'm curious to know if the rDAC is able to play rock with a tight and dynamic sound.

Reviews from different magazines frequently contradict each other.

Like me, you will need to arrange a demo to know if it is right in your system and for your tastes..

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yep, and I will so soon. Really hoping the Arcam will improve on my otherwise great DacMagic.

The DacMagic is only 160 pounds in Denmark at the moment. The rDAC is 306 pounds.

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Peter Larsen:
Sounds like a lot of people love the Arcam sound.

I have nothing against the smooth sound, but is rDAC fast enough and punchy enough to play some good old rock with a fast bass drum? The DacMagic is pretty okay at that, but lacks some control when the music really starts playing. Does the rDAC offer better control and tightness in the bass comapred to DacMagic?

I've just got mine home running on an Arcam A28 with monitor audio silver rx6 playing from sonos zp90 coaxial the detail is fantastic i think it has a warm sound but i wouldn't say it was bass heavy it has a good "weight" to the sound currently listening to some old anthrax and it's keeping up with that just fine sounded great with a quick blast of disturbed too!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
By all means give the rDac a go....but I dont think a Naim owner will ever prefer the Arcam sound....way too soft and woolly dont u think?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
shafesk:By all means give the rDac a go....but I dont think a Naim owner will ever prefer the Arcam sound....way too soft and woolly dont u think?

Softer and more lovely perhaps as opposed to hard and cold.

A

Anonymous

Audioupgrades.com will upgrade the internals of the Dacmagic if its the sort of sound you like. I think they provide four levels of upgrade.

I know someone who had a level 2 done and really liked it but I've not heard it myself.

Golden Ears

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

Have you considered the Behringer SRC2496? It is in my opinion a superior DAC in every sense! It has DA - AD conversion, Balanced in and out and the sound quality is to die for! I bought the DAC Magic 2 weeks ago and regret the purchase. If you get a SRC2496 be sure to buy some balanced plus to single end if you amp is not balanced!

Good luck!

P.S. you can get the SRC2496 from £145!!! crazy it might not look hi fi but the sound is HI END!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Golden Ears:
Hi!

Have you considered the Behringer SRC2496? It is in my opinion a superior DAC in every sense! It has DA - AD conversion, Balanced in and out and the sound quality is to die for! I bought the DAC Magic 2 weeks ago and regret the purchase. If you get a SRC2496 be sure to buy some balanced plus to single end if you amp is not balanced!

Good luck!

P.S. you can get the SRC2496 from £145!!! crazy it might not look hi fi but the sound is HI END!

Do you work for them? I've just checked this DAC out and it's got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I would have to be able to hide it out of sight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts