Arcam or Rotel integrated amplifier - but what to get?

unklemunkle

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm new on here, so please be gentle with me!

I currently have a relatively small budget to purchase a second hand Arcam or Rotel integrated amplifier. Am thinking Rotel RA-03 or Arcam Alpha 8.

I have KEF IQ5SE speakers and like classic rock, country rock and good harmony music (eg Crosby, Stills & Nash) along with Pink Floyd etc etc.

My current amp, a Cambridge Audio 540a V2 Azur is OK but seems to have developed a crackle when it's cold and has a fading in/out issue with the right-hand speaker. All connections etc are fine. I bought this second-hand a while ago and I just don't feel confident with it unfortunately. This is coupled up to a CA CD player which works just fine.

What would be everyone's recommendation? I'd like something with some depth, warmth and power. Something that packs a bit of a punch. There's nothing around the £100-£200 mark that I feel would come close so am more than happy to go second hand and (hopefully) get a bargain.

Any pointers or friendly advice appreciated!

Many thanks.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I guess you already know the disadvantage of buying older kit due to the CA amp issues. e.g. no warranty etc

In your case there as still plenty of nice new amps that would drive the KEFs well for around £200.

NAD C316BEE, Pioneer A30, Denon PMA 720AE % Onkyo A9010

My pairing of CA cd player and Pioneer is very good with the speakers I have.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I used to have the iQ9s and liked the synergy with Arcam...so that would be "my" preference.

IMO. Rotel would have a closer sound signature to your CA amp.

Blackdawn said:
Hi, I guess you already know the disadvantage of buying older kit due to the CA amp issues. e.g. no warranty etc

In your case there as still plenty of nice new amps that would drive the KEFs well for around £200.

NAD C316BEE, Pioneer A30, Denon PMA 720AE % Onkyo A9010

My pairing of CA cd player and Pioneer is very good with the speakers I have.

I'd agree the NAD would be a good choice (but its a bit above the OP's range at £250), the Pioneer also, but that may be a bit too 'forward' with the OP's speakers.

If it were my money I would go along with CnoEvil and get the Arcam, or more correctly an Arcam as the 8R and 9, or Diva A65plus are realistically within the OP's budget if using a certain well known auction site.

unklemunkle said:
Thanks for the pointers. How does the Arcam A65 rate over/under the Alpha series?

I am not an Arcam user, although have friends who are, so maybe CnoEvil might be able to help out here.

All I can say is there will still be those usual Arcam characteristics and although the A65 loses 10 watts per channel, which you're not likely to notice, it is a fair bit more 'modern' when compared to the Alpha 8.

jjbomber

unklemunkle said:
Hi all,

I currently have a relatively small budget to purchase a second hand Arcam or Rotel integrated amplifier. Am thinking Rotel RA-03 or Arcam Alpha 8.

Of those two I would choose the Rotel. But, and there's always a but, if you can find an Arcam 10, that would be well worth going to the far north of your limit. That was an all time great amongst Arcam amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
I am not an Arcam user, although have friends who are, so maybe CnoEvil might be able to help out here.
I have an A60 and have heard most of the modern models, but can't comment with certainty on the in-between models.

The IQ Series is very clean sounding, which can (imo) turn to "forwardness" if paired with an amp with a similar character. Arcam, especially the older amps, have a smooth, comforting sound, that pairs well with older Kefs (IQ/XQ).

Sugden also works well with them.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I would certainly look at Alpha 9 or 10 over the 8, the extra power will drive your speakers better and give a larger smoother sound.

The only thing is older Arcam Alpha's can develop problems with the input selector but this can be fixed for around £40/50 if it happens.

I bought an Alpha 9 five years ago for £140 and am very happy with it, I use with B&W speakers but have used an Alpha 5 with Kef speakers and they were a fabulous combination.

I had a Rotel before many years ago and found the sound leaner and not as full bodied or as warm as the Alpha,s, personally not one of my favourites but it is all purely subjective.

As with auction sites if you are patient you will get a bargain that has been well cared for.

Have fun and good luck with your search.

rainsoothe

Hi. Don't look at Rotel for warm. Arcam is a really good bet, and so is Nad 3020 (probably just what you're looking for, if you can find one in good condition). Also don't forget speaker cable - check DNM Reson or Audioquest flx slip 14/4 for neutral and smooth, or Black Rhodium for extra warm and smooth (personal preference would be the DNM for me, I just discovered these)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts