Arcam irDAC or NAD D 1050

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Has the Arcam been replaced by the NAD? Both seem to have 24-bit/192kHz through the USB connections, as does the Rega. Is the Rega dated now? I think that the Audiolab M-DAC is out of my range. It also seemed to get very mixed reviews. As you may have guessed, my price target is £400.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have connected a Sonos Bridge to my router & NAS. I am now busily ripping all my CDs to my NAS. I intend to buy a Sonos Connect, so that I can play my music over my hi-fi. I have read that the reproduction of my music will be all the better if I have a purpose built DAC, as opposed to the inbuilt one in the Connect. So, I intent to have my DAC inbetweeen the Connect & my pre-amp.

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Arcam also do a purpose made dac for Sonos Connect called the Arcam SonLink http://www.whathifi.com/news/arcam-rseries-sonlink-dac-designed-for-sonos

SJCT99

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I should have pointed out that the Arcam SonLink is just uses the same tech as the Arcam rLink http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rSeries,Wired-DACs,rLink.htm which is according to reviews is not in the same league as the irDac but will the signal from the Sonos Connect be high enough quality to notice the difference - only your ears can tell you if it is worth the extra money :)

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've been for a sound test. The NAD D 1050, Arcam irDAC, the Audiolab M-DAC & the Music Fidelity M1 DAC. What a revelation. I had no idea that 4 DACs playing the same music could produce such incredibly different results. Is there a balance between pure reproduction & musicality? I listened to opera, orchestral music, jazz & various types of pop. In the end, I decided that the Audiolab & Music Fidelity probably produced the most analytical reproduction but that I was not sure that I could listen to it on their systems for prolonged periods. I was also fearsome that if I bought either of them I would, before long, decide I had to upgrade the rest of my hi-fi system.

I had expected to buy the NAD, but I felt that it coloured the music to an extent that, to my ears, it almost became boomy. I felt that the Arcam coloured the reproduction too, but to a lesser extent. That's what I ended up with.

A fascinating experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts