Arcam IrDAC/airDAC - wireless vs USB

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I am considering on purchasing an ARCAM DAC but I would like to know if there is a difference in the overall sound quality between the AIRDAC and IRDAC? Does the wireless connection influence negative the overal results versus the USB one?

Thanks,
Adrian

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Both of these DACs are reviewed at WHF. While the airDAC received 4 stars (due to losing "layers of subtlety and detail," and lacking a USB input -- among other things), the irDAC received product of the year award at its GBP 400 price range. That, in and of itself, should tell you something, if not a lot. As for the airDAC's wireless capability, I know AirPlay is restricted to playing Apple's lossless files -- if memory serves me right -- up to 16 bit - 48KHz. So that is one draw back, which, by the way, can be circumvented by using a different UPnP streamer. Also, the airDAC uses the b/g/n technology, which is prone to a lot of interference (and that should impact the quality of audio delivery too). On top of all these, I think the airDAC's supported sample rates goes only as high as 24 bit / 96KHz, while irDAC's go as high as 192KHz. I, personally, own an irDAC; and I love it. it is as every bit good as the people that have reviewed it on WHF say it is. Unless, you want to spend a lot of money on a really refined DAC, this is one of the best options at its price point.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Transmitting and receiving data via wireless has no effect on audible quality when compared to wired connection. The biggest difference will be stability and you might, in some circumstances, get drop outs.

Consider functionality over price and brand name when buying a DAC, as there isn't much if anything to separate them in terms of how they sound and they are usually so small, as to be easily hidden behind the rest of your gear if it looks a bit too prosaic.

guitar58

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
New guy on the block,

I'm new to computer audio and would like to setup an Arcam irdac connected to pc and out to a yet to be acquired, integrated amp. this is in the hope to use my web/internet radio stations (spotify etc...) via pc, irdac and integrated amp to a pair of 4ohm Dynaudio D/M 7's.

My question at least for now is, should I use a usb cable or spdif?

regular_smile.gif

Thanks for comments

Gtr

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ultimately, it shouldn't matter, as if the design is well implemented, both should sound the same.

The optical SPDIF connection does have the advantage of electrically isolating the DAC from the laptop/Pc though. This would give a bit of extra protection if something went catastrophically wrong with the power supply in the Pc.

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ultimately, it shouldn't matter, as if the design is well implemented, both should sound the same.

The optical SPDIF connection does have the advantage of electrically isolating the DAC from the laptop/Pc though. This would give a bit of extra protection if something went catastrophically wrong with the power supply in the Pc.

Just one minor addition: The optical supports up to 96Khz SR, while both the coaxial and USB II support up to 192Khz for these DACs. This should be important when your software in conjuction with the DAC is upsampling the signal.

TRENDING THREADS