Arcam FMJ19, Creek A50, Rotel-RA11, Marantz 66SE KI or Yamaha AX-900?

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Please, I need a help. I have the Focal Chorus806V speakers , wich from this amplifiers is a good matchig? My preferences is almost classical music, jazz, acustic, even chillout & electronic. So, I'm lookinf for a well balanced sound, and soundstage. Thank's :)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My vote goes to Arcam FMJ19.Had tried it with the Aria 906 and it was a better combo than with the Creek A50 imo..The Chorus 806V could be "darker" than the 906.So in a well damped room maybe the creek is more suitable and exciting.In modern rooms and less furnished rooms i would go with the Arcam. The Yamaha should be the lesser amp than both of them and Marantz 66SE i have no experience with.I would demo the Creek and Arcam.Rotel does not combine very well with Focal usually in my experience and taste.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Esra, I appreciate :) . Honestly, I want to upgrade the Focal Chorus with... Aria, because I like the Focal's sound. I hade Celestion SL in the past, and Focal seem to have somewhat the same signature... but is only my opinion, corse. Yes, I see now in forums how good must be the match Arcam a19-Focal .

Unfortunately, 350 km is the distance from the first store when I have the posibilitiy for an audition . :( Anyway, I think the Arcam FMJ19 must be the best choice.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
As suggested by the other member: demo both creek and arcam.

50a, in my opinion, has bettet resolution. When i demoed these amps dealer was using focal speakers and to my ears 50a had more controllled and mature sound,

all the best and let us know which one you go for,

iceman16

+1 for the Arcam and Focals..The slightly warm sound of Arcam and a bit forwardness and clean sound of Focals blends very well IME.
regular_smile.gif

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Many Thanks for all yours sugestions, I appreciate. :) . I have the chance to listen an old Arcam Diva80 with my Focals, but however I'll try to go for listen Arcam FMJ a19 and Creek A50 in comparasion. What I want is more a musical and large soundstage amplifier. For the moment I have the old Yamaha AX-900, wich is good, solid construction, powerfull horse, but maybe a little to bright and linear sound not so rafined like Marantz PM66 SE for example, wich I liked on Focal . I think Focal 806V deserve much more for the best sound . BTW, I apologize for my english.

rainsoothe

iceman16 said:
+1 for the Arcam and Focals..The slightly warm sound of Arcam and a bit forwardness and clean sound of Focals blends very well IME.

Hi. Exactly this. The A19 will give you the great soundstage you're looking for (it's the best I've heard at this budget). Also, it makes up for Focal's forwardness (or slight forwardness if you're talking about the Aria range) with it's warmth and musicallity. Oh, and btw, cabling is also very important. Try Chord Clearway or DNM Reson. Maybe Anticables.

I've had the A19 + Aria 906 and it's my favourite system besides what I have now (used with Naim Dac V1). I also auditioned the Creek 50a against the Arcam, but imo it was a pretty bad match with Focal - rithmically it was allright, but as a whole, I didn't get anything from it whatsoever.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank's for all replays guys... but what you think about Niam Nait 5i(italic version), is a step above Arcam FMJ19 or Creek? Some experience with this combo Naim- Focal? Thank's.

iceman16

acoustique said:
Thank's for all replays guys... but what you think about Niam Nait 5i(italic version), is a step above Arcam FMJ19 or Creek? Some experience with this combo Naim- Focal? Thank's.

IME Naim-Focal sounded bright and at times fatiguing for long listening. Arcam - Focal works better together IMO.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks :) I ask because I have opportunity to buy a second hand Naim 5i(italic version) or the newer Arcam FMJ A19 at the same price; so, I'm really corious if the Naim is superior to Arcam A19 or is just the same level; at the same time I know Naim 5i is an entry level from Naim, NOT the top of this brand . The construction seems to be verry high to both, so technically I suppose there are no problems, but the sound diference is more important; I' m curious for ex. wich amplifier have a best timing, air relaxing sound , and can reproduce highly the complex sound of simphonic orchestra and the opera's aria.

rainsoothe

Naim + Focal can sound good together, but it depends a lot on the particular Naim models. The Nait 5i italic (haven't personally heard it) is known to be particularly bright, and should be matched to stuff like Sonus Faber toy towers or Harbeth, maybe wharfedale Jade 3.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your support guys, I appreciate. :) But what you think about a Roksan Kandy2 at the same price like Arcam A19, corse second-hand.

acoustique

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
We must have gone through most brands by now :)

Nice :)

The classical is my favorite, especially baroque, but also a lot of jazz, chillout, ambiental-new age, electronic , even dance music. but almost classical. For the moment I use the vintage Yamaha AX-900 wich is accurate, powerfull and clean, BUT maybe a little to linear , bright and not so airy although I'm convinced even this Yamaha AX-900 surely sound diferently after a revision and some capacitors upgrades; Is just my opinion. On the other hand, I think is time to try others new amplifiers, and what I heard a few weks ago from a classical Arcam 85 with Focal Aria 906 is totally different sound; In the same time diferent sound on Aria 906 with Marantz PM 17 MkII. and Marantz PM7005. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to listen the Roksan Kandy2, Arcam A19, Naim 5i or Creek50A.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
acoustique said:
drummerman said:
We must have gone through most brands by now :)

Nice :)

The classical is my favorite, especially baroque, but also a lot of jazz, chillout, ambiental-new age, electronic , even dance music. but almost classical. For the moment I use the vintage Yamaha AX-900 wich is accurate, powerfull and clean, BUT maybe a little to linear , bright and not so airy although I'm convinced even this Yamaha AX-900 surely sound diferently after a revision and some capacitors upgrades; Is just my opinion. On the other hand, I think is time to try others new amplifiers, and what I heard a few weks ago from a classical Arcam 85 with Focal Aria 906 is totally different sound; In the same time diferent sound on Aria 906 with Marantz PM 17 MkII. and Marantz PM7005. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to listen the Roksan Kandy2, Arcam A19, Naim 5i or Creek50A.

Yes, I think you can probably improve on all of these older amplifiers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts