Rotel RA-1520, Creek Evo 2 or Arcam A18?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finding it hard to demo (and compare) the Rotel RA-1520, Creek Evo 2 and Arcam A18 in central London. Any thoughts on which is better? Tend to listen to classical music, but also jazz, rock and electronic.

CD-player is a Cambridge Audio (can't remember which model). Speakers are an old (and, frankly, knackered) pair of Missions - plan to replace them in short order. Again, tips welcome.

Budget of around £600-£700 for a new integrated amp. Similar budget for speakers (prefer to keep away from floorstanding speakers).

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I demo'd the Arcam A18 with the CD17 and it wasnt a good combo at all IMO

The Rotel seems to get very good reviews and I did hear it briefly and sounded very good (with B&W CM5's and Monitor Audio RX2's)

Never heard the Creek Evo 2 amp in anger unfortunately; just from a distance.

I think really a better idea of your CDP and what speakers you would like to go for would be more help

Concur with the others. There's nothing really wrong with the A18, it just fails to inspire.

Not heard the this particular Rotel, but did a home trial of the Creek Evo 2. For me, it's one of the best sub-£1,000 integrateds I've heard -- haven't heard all of them...

The bass on the Creek is taut and very fast, and maybe for some, a little too lean, but the detail retrieval is superb. The only problem I could find was a lack of inputs; that's not applicable if you have CDP, tuner and tape or one DVD player/VHS.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, all. If it's down to the Rotel and the Creek, what does everybody think about matching them with their respective CDPs? The Rotel RCP-1520 and the EVO 2 CDP? is it worth matching them with their partners, or shopping around?

Any other suggestions?

cclarke:

Thanks, all. If it's down to the Rotel and the Creek, what does everybody think about matching them with their respective CDPs? The Rotel RCP-1520 and the EVO 2 CDP? is it worth matching them with their partners, or shopping around?

Any other suggestions?

Again not the heard the recent Rotel machines, but reviews haven't been very flattering. Therefore, if you're after "one make" set-up the Creek would probably be the best bet.

Mix 'n' match? both Rotel and Creek amps are particularly good match with Arcam.

matthewpiano:Forget reviews. You really NEED to get an audition at this price point.

You can't forget reviews. The OP clearly stated in his first post that demoing wouldn't be easy. I dem'd the RCD 06 when my 975 went pair-shaped and it didn't come close to my old 975. This is why I bought the CD73T instead. Like you, I'm all for demoing regardless of price, but some people, for whatever reason, can't do it, therefore the trusty review is the only option.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup Superfi do
emotion-1.gif

IMO the Rotel would work with a range of decent CDP's like the Rega Apollo, NAD C545BEE but I do agree that the Rotel CDP's need to be thought of as well and demo'd if possible.

I wouldnt go with all reviews; some reviews slate some things whereas other reviews sing the same items praise! It's swings and round-a-bouts and with that budget; buying blind can be very dangerous!

It could be acase that 2nd hand CDP's should be considered such as the Cyrus 6/8SE, Arcam DiVA CD192 and even the Rega Saturn if you can find one at a decent price 2nd hand or ex-dem!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts