Arcam A19, Nad C725bee, Audiolab 8200A, Roksan Kandy K2, Creek Evolution 2, Creek evolution 50A, Rotel 1520.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As You can see from the title. there are alot of amps im considering.
All within the same price range.
My current setup up is with NAD C355BEE as my signature below indicates.

Here are my preferences:
I have kept and like the NAD for its soundstage in separating instruments and sounds.
I had previously owned a cyrus 8 integrated amplifier, and preferred the NAD due to the quality above.
The cyrus was more forward, exciting and crisp, but where it failed was with large orchestral classical music which was conveyed as one piece of forward sounding music.
I don't know how much the cyrus range has improved since this model. Ive heard that it has improved, but don't know how, and doubt whether it has a separation of sounds to rival my current NAD.
Some more information regarding my preferences include music type as electronica, chillout music, relaxation, classical (as mentioned), some rock (pink Floyd), light jazz.
I like the sound to be detailed and layered for long session listening.
Its not that I don't like my music to be exciting, its just that its not that important.
I don't necessarily favour smooth sounding, as transparency is important.

I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with what hifi reviews.
Other magazines such as hifi news, hifi choice and even tech radar internet site provide sometimes more detailed and relevant reviews.
My thoughts are:
Arcam A19 and Roksan Kandy K2 are on the list due to what hifi reviews.
Audiolab 8200A due to partnering Audiolab MDAC I own, and due to good reviews elsewhere, although this amp I have auditioned with Audiolab 8200CD I auditioned some time ago.
NAD due to my current happy but not content experience with current amp.
Rotel because someone who worked in a hifi shop (forgot his name) replied to a previous post some time ago recommending this.
And finally the Creek due to recent reviews.
In particular the Creek Evolution 50A which has got good recent reviews on hifi news, and is even said to be better then the highly rated cyrus 6A.

Any advice guys.
Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention that I currently use my Audiolab MDAC as a preamp into my current NAD. The sound is cleaner, but it maynot be something which I have to have in a new amp (acting as a power amp to the MDAC preamp). Also, Soundstage, separation, imaging and detail remain high on the list. Listening to tracks which reveal detail over long periods of listening. Some times almost most of the day, and frequently.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pkerai said:
Any advice guys. Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.

I'm not sure my advice is all that helpful - IMO. The forum is best used for providing sensible, appropriate options....which you have pretty much listed. The rest is up to you, as what we prefer is irrelevant.....so go listen, and tell us what you think.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Make a shortlist of those amps that have exactly the connectivity and functions you need and foresee needing soon. (Built in phono-stage, built in DAC, tone controls, balanced connections are some examples of things you might want or like to have for future possibilities.)

Check against reviews (as you have done).

Read responses from people who own/have owned the same amps. (Rather than those who sell them, or have only heard them in shops, or only read about them and surmise their qualities.)

Check out dealers/stockists locally (or as far afield as you are prepared to travel) and see if shop and home demos can be arranged. (Especially if they have your speakers on demo or are prepared for you to bring your own speakers.)

From whatever you are left with, pick the one you like the look of most and/or costs the least.

On the face of it (and without having heard them) I would be most interested in the Creek 50A because it has an optional built-in FM/DAB module available now and will eventually - on a future revised 50A version - have an optional DAC module too. It also has tone controls and looks quite smart. There have only been positive reviews about it so far.

If it sounded any good then that would probably be my pick of your list.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Make a shortlist of those amps that have exactly the connectivity and functions you need and foresee needing soon. (Built in phono-stage, built in DAC, tone controls, balanced connections are some examples of things you might want or like to have for future possibilities.)

Check against reviews (as you have done).

Read responses from people who own/have owned the same amps. (Rather than those who sell them, or have only heard them in shops, or only read about them and surmise their qualities.)

Check out dealers/stockists locally (or as far afield as you are prepared to travel) and see if shop and home demos can be arranged. (Especially if they have your speakers on demo or are prepared for you to bring your own speakers.)

From whatever you are left with, pick the one you like the look of most and/or costs the least.

On the face of it (and without having heard them) I would be most interested in the Creek 50A because it has an optional built-in FM/DAB module available now and will eventually - on a future revised 50A version - have an optional DAC module too. It also has tone controls and looks quite smart. There have only been positive reviews about it so far.

If it sounded any good then that would probably be my pick of your list.

+1

DEMO DEMO DEMO

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thats just it.

There are problems when finding somewhere to demo these amps. I mean it would need a demo of all of them togther in one session.

Otherwise diffrerences wont be apparent. Plus the length of time you have is not that long.

Also, breaking in periods.....

Peoples experiences would be great, maybe persons in or have been in the same dilemma, and even owners descriptions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
pkerai said:
There are problems when finding somewhere to demo these amps. I mean it would need a demo of all of them togther in one session.

Otherwise diffrerences wont be apparent.

Usually it's not possible to demo more than two amps at one sitting, for the reasons you've given. I tend to adopt a "daisy chain" approach to demos. Always demo at least two amps at a time, let's call them A and B. Compare A with B. Usually one will win. At your next demo compare A or B with C. And so on until you've demoed all the amps on your list. You don't have to compare every amp with every other amp for this to work, just so long as the "chain" is complete. Obviously it might take a while, but you owe it to yourself to be patient. After 5 or 6 demos it should be clear which is the winner.

I always take notes while I listen. Not only useful for future reference, but also it helps to focus the mind on analysis. And in the process you learn quite a lot about your taste.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes but they still need to be setup in the same place.

Furthermore, keeping a fixed listening list with a wide variety of your listening tastes.

I also have found it useful to write a few pasaages about each piece of equipment with the material.

At the end you will be suprised at how much you forgot to consider when using that method.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you want something like NAD I would guess the RK is prob. the closest. Creek 50A is very good lots of detail so has the Arcam A19. A bit more expensive is the Musical Fid M3i maybe worth considering.

TRENDING THREADS