Arcam FMJ A39

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, has anyone any experience or views on this fairly new well reviewed amp. My need is for a partner for my Epos Epic 2 speakers which I love very much. CD source is a Cyrus 8.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of Arcams Class G amps...but saying that, what is your max budget and what other amps have you considered?

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
My budget is around £1500 give or take a bit. Other contenders would be the Creek destiny, Roksan k3 or possibly Rega Elicit _r but that maybe a little too "forward" for my taste

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you are looking in the right places, though look at the Creek 100A (also Class G)

Other more "off the beaten track" brands that might suit your taste would be Pathos, Sugden, Electrcompaniet, Audio Analogue, Croft and Unsion Research Unico.

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I owned a Creek amp a few years ago and loved it. Of course Creek and Epos come from the same stable so do work well together.My main reason for looking at the Arcam was that it has a MM input which can be switched to Line input giving me an extra input, it has 2 sets of speaker terminals, so I can still biwire, it seems well built, it has a good power output. The Creek does not meet this but at the end of the day it's the sound that matters. Thanks for your time. I shall obviously have to get my bum off my listening chair and go and audition. Cheers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You don't need 2 sets of speaker terminals on amp to bi wire. Bi wiring is debatable whether it improves the sound, some say it can introduce phase problems.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a really positive review of the Creek 100A amp in the latest Hi-Fi Choice mag, and the onboard Sequel phono cards are really good performers and dead easy to fit or un-fit. They rated it as on a par with the new Exposure 3010S2 but with more upgradeabilty (ie tuner module or DAC module can be fitted if you wish).

scorpiodave

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
The Roksan M2 is around £2000, but I have just found one in Birmingham for £1600!,an open box item.I may try to get to hear it along with other that this dealer has.Thanks everyone for your thoughts and now I will start to get my head in gear and get listening.

SteveR750

scorpiodave said:
The Roksan M2 is around £2000, but I have just found one in Birmingham for £1600!,an open box item.I may try to get to hear it along with other that this dealer has.Thanks everyone for your thoughts and now I will start to get my head in gear and get listening.

I've got one for even less that's on a well known auction site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts