Arcam DV79 - CD playback - What input to av amp please ?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Bit new to all this so help appreciated.

Have an Arcam DV79 DVD player and use it for cd playback all the time too via my recently purchased Sony STR-DA5400ES av amp.

Have set it up to play via stereo analogue connections but should I be doing this digitally for a superior sound.

Words of wisdom sought.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah ok fair enough !

Probably doesnt warrant an answer due to it being a really thick question but i really could do with an answer please.

Its just that I have bought my new amp and found that cd playback via analogue leads was better on my old Denon AVR-38003 which is over 7 years old - I was expecting better results from a 5 star Sony product. Not questioning dvd or blu ray playback because its far superior in those terms.

So still the same question - will it be better through digital leads ? Dont want to un-plug it all / re-wire if it is a silly question ?

scene

No, it's not a thick question. Whether you use the analogue out, and use the DAC in the arcam, or use the digital outs and effectively use the DVD player as a transport, using the DAC in the Sony really depends on whether the DAC in the Arcam sounds better than the one int the amp, in your opinion (for cd playback). I suspect, with your current setup, in the end it may come down to a matter of personal taste. One thing, IIRC, Arcam recommend using the coaxial digital out in preference to the optical one.

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you using the Arcam for 5.1 from DVD's as well?

It's not to much effort to plug in a co-ax digital cable and you can leave the analogue leads where they are and A-B the two and decide yourself. This is not a cop out answer as

a) There might not be many folk with that player/amp combination who can give you a answer.

b) What happens a lot is that replies don't have a definite one way or the other answer and if you listen to the two choices yourself and pick the one you like you don't get the nagging voice in the back of you head wondering if someone has given you duff info.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, not feeling so silly now. Could still do with a bit more help though.

I do use the Arcam in a 5.1 dvd set up obviously using the hdmi lead and using an Atlas Compass co-ax digital out. ( I only have one lead )

Use another optical out for Sky HD.

I dont presently have a Blu Ray player as this will be a January sales / Post Xmas pressie to myself so its just dvd / cd playback via the Arcam for now.

Could you both explain a little more please ? For instance what is the IIRC you refer to ? And exactly how do I do the A - B test using the analogue / co-ax leads.

Sorry if this all a bit basic.

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
IIRC stands for 'if I remember correctly'

For the A-B using analogue/ co-ax, the analogue leads will go in the CD input on you player and the co-ax lead into DVD.

To compare the two just play a CD and then when you select either CD or DVD on the remote for the amp - CD will use the Arcam DAC and if you select DVD you will get the Sony DAC.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
HSAI ! ( How stupid am I )

Just to wrap up the post - despite using expensive van den Hul analogue leads using the Arcam DAC ( even in pure direct mode ) the sound is far superior using the digital co-ax / Sony DAC on board the av amp which suprised me. The analogue sound is almost muted in a weird way ? I was wondering if I have the Arcam set up for stereo sound correctly via the analogues ?

Its all a bit disappointing really, not terrible but just not as good - the cd playback through my old 7 yr old Denon 3803 was far superior, especially in seperation of sound - just goes to show the importance of testing amps before you buy. I did however pick up the sony da5400es for £442 off ebay so I cant really complain and the dvd playback / sound is awesome. Cant wait for Xmas dosh to buy a Blu Ray player now and really see it shine.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS