Arcam CD 192 vs Copland CDA 277

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just wanted to pick your brains on a dilemma I'm having, I brought a Copland CDA 277 a while ago now and on the whole its an excellent player built like a tank and clarity of sound and separation of instruments all awesome, however I have found the listening experience can some times be a bit harsh (this maybe due to dynaudios being very bright and AR LS7 valve amp harmonics).

In a previous system I was using a Arcam alpha 8, and found the sound to be much easier listening experience. Therefore thought I'd give arcam another go. I noticed Hughes selling Arcam cd 192 for £500 because its an older model however nearly 10yrs newer than the Copland, so I've got it on a trial basis at the moment and this is were my question comes in.

Firstly the Arcam looks cheap and nasty compared to the Copland, when I got it home one of its feet was missing (not a great start), this is cosmetic and I've been hoping the insides would more than make up for it with the new 24bit sampling DACs even know cds only carry 16bit? and being latest in technology.

But I have found comparing the two players very difficult, firstly I think the output of the Copland is higher volume of that of the Arcam, so when you switch from one to other its not like for like. This in mind the Copland still sounds clearer than the Arcam with better separation and more defined instruments. Yet when I listen to the Aram it feels like the sound stage is broader i.e. the Copland feels like sound is coming out of the speakers where Arcam it feels like its just above and behind the speakers with voices more in the middle (which is nice).

Now am I speaking rubbish, or is the Arcam really not in the same class as the Copland and therefore internals as well as externals are no where as good as Copland even though there is a 10 year age difference. Or is it worth giving the Arcam more of a chance because although not as clear it’s a lighter sound and nice soundstage.

Or should I just save my money and stick with the Copland and maybe consider something else in the future?

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
This is like Groundhog Day, I'm sure I read this thread last night.

The Copland is a much more expensive player than the Arcam CD192 and not a million miles away from being the same age either. Hence why it is better built.

With regard to the output levels, are you testing on the same line out? Or one on CD and another on Line?

I personally, although I really love the CD192, would not swap a Copland for one. To better the sound on what you have you will be needing to spend upwards of £3,000 in my opinion and you seem to like a lush, full sound which would rule out the likes of Cyrus from your list.

A

Anonymous

You did Joelsim, I was advised by another member to post to the HiFi section for better results.

Thanks for your comments, and yes I've been switching the inputs from CD to AUX however I did change the leads over with the same result, Copland seems to have higher output level or its just clearer.

Its funny the Copland truely is an excellent player and difference in terms of clarity, definition and seperation is very obvious but I really wanted to give the Arcam ago (This is how good the Hyp can be around reviews, thanks again for confirming my view I need to listen with my ears and not my head), and as much as tried I kept finding the detail was lacking as if I had another set of speaker covers on.

Don't get me wrong the CD192 does sound nice, I've just been lucky with getting a good deal on the copland it seems.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I brought mine from ebay for about half their retail price, and they are great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts