ARCAM AVR600 - Comparison with dedicated Hi-Fi Amps

goodmar

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Reviews of the above have been very impressive to date. However, we only seem to get a verdict on stereo performance with other AV receivers (not unreasonable I know) and not with how it compares with a dedicated two-channel amplifier. So for those of us looking for the ultimate one box does everything really well, amplification wise for 2,5 7 channel, we do not get that view expressed. For example, I have a Linn Wakonda/LK140 combination and have been looking at upgrading this, (Naim, Pathos, Bryston) at some point. I also have a separate system for AV duties but would like to reduce the number of boxes on the amplification side. So the ultimate would be one box and an increase in two-channel stereo performance (otherwise what is the point of upgrading?). I will being going around to audition at some point, but some advance knowledge/opinion from WHFS&V on its capabilities in comparison with dedicated stereo amps would be a good starting point. (Currently earning brownie points with new kitchen being installed for Mrs G, so will be allowed out of the house soon and may have some budget left!!!). Am I living in cloud-cuckoo land in expecting the AVR600 to be as good as my current stereo set up or even the sort of upgrade I might be looking at (Naim nac 202/nap 200 for instance)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Big Aura:The review is particularly gushing, though.

Y'don't say...

"In my review of Arcam's earlier AV8 surround processor, I noted that space is the final frontier, and I discussed why it's so important for your system to be able to portray a believable surround space, to enrich your experience, both for music and for film soundtracks. Since then, I have chronicled the improvements in surround space portrayal achieved by successive Arcam products, the AVR300 and then the AVR350. The AVR350, with its new mask of silence technology, achieved a blacker background and better intertransient silence, which, together with improved basic transparency, allowed the very subtle sonic cues that define space itself to shine forth more clearly, thereby creating the best, most convincing surround space I had heard to date."

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
goodmar:Just read it - see what you mean - ballrooms in spanish castles - mmmm - Andrew - have you had time to possibly form an opinion on question?

From what limited listening I have done, I wouldn't suggest it as an entirely adequate replacement for your Linn amplification. But that's IMO, of course...

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Big Aura:The review is particularly gushing, though.

Y'don't say...

"In my review of Arcam's earlier AV8 surround processor, I noted that space is the final frontier, and I discussed why it's so important for your system to be able to portray a believable surround space, to enrich your experience, both for music and for film soundtracks. Since then, I have chronicled the improvements in surround space portrayal achieved by successive Arcam products, the AVR300 and then the AVR350. The AVR350, with its new mask of silence technology, achieved a blacker background and better intertransient silence, which, together with improved basic transparency, allowed the very subtle sonic cues that define space itself to shine forth more clearly, thereby creating the best, most convincing surround space I had heard to date."

Heheheh. I only skimmed it, but that seems more than levy breakage, than just mere gushing....

A

Anonymous

Ive not heard the new arcam but did spy one on a rack at a Hi Fi dealer and asked the question as to what it was like for music duties! The reply was roughly on par with a £800 intergrated. There maybe a bit of sales going on there, but i did make clear i wasnt in the market for one and just curious.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We often say a good AV receiver is on a musical par with a stereo amp costing about a third as much, so that makes sense. I'd certainly say the Arcam wouldn't be embarrassed in the company of stereo amps @£1000.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:I'd certainly say the Arcam wouldn't be embarrassed in the company of stereo amps @£1000.
Apart from in looks...

JD obviously has a thing for large volume ... erm... dials.

A

Anonymous

In black it's very discrete. And Peter Moncrieff doesn't half gush in his review does he. But he does offer some technical explanations as to why the Arcam's sound quality is as good as it is. To do with a clever way of letting it use Class A amplification up to a certain point. My experience, owning one, is that it is very very good. In Dolby PLIIx it takes a stereo source and presents it in multi-channel exceptionally well. On this I have to agree with Peter.

It is an exceptional amp. But it benefits from commensurately high quality speakers.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:It is an exceptional amp. But it benefits from commensurately high quality speakers.

Basically, I'm going to have to upgrade my entire system when I win it?
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I thought I was going to win it. Dagnamit.

Yes, though the options on what to partner it with are huge. I've heard it with PMC and it was outstanding and it's awesome with my Dali's. That said the firmware is still evolving. There are a few little niggles. But I don't find they affect the sound quality. It's just nice to have a machine that sounds this exceptional.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:mate - it will have to b&w of some description for me. Mebbe 803S, HTM3S, 805S and ASW855. This competition-winning business is expensive....

Awesome, but I'd swap the sub for an SVS PB-13 Ultra. Kent Home Cinema are the UK distributors and this is what I'd buy, not a moments hesitation.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Great, the wifey has said I can upgrade when we buy a new house. So if I can figure out how to ensure I don't get redundancied and can get a detached house in N1 (with a 300m curtilage), it's all good..!

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:Big Aura:mate - it will have to b&w of some description for me. Mebbe 803S, HTM3S, 805S and ASW855. This competition-winning business is expensive....

Awesome, but I'd swap the sub for an SVS PB-13 Ultra. Kent Home Cinema are the UK distributors and this is what I'd buy, not a moments hesitation.
Thought you were getting the SVS Will what happend? although the monolith's not too shoddy for the money it's not quite an PB-13

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts