Arcam AVR600 and iTunes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of upgrading my Arcam AVR300 by a Arcam AVR600. The reviews are very positive but nowhere I find

what's the best way to play music of an iTunes database:

Using the iPod and the Arcam r-dock?

Or connecting the Apple TVunit?

What gives the best sound? Experience ?

A

Anonymous

I'm waiting for Apple to release an Apple TV that can stream digitally over it's HDMI output. At the moment, you have to use HDMI + an Optical connection for the sound. Why double up? Adds to the cost and frankly I've never found the AppleTV to appear good value. The iDock, though it is the best sounding dock is not compatible with the latest iPods/iPhones (I think I have that right). The benefit of having an iPhone is that you can use Apple Remote, so I'm loath to stick mine in a dock, though it may be the simplest option. The Apple TV is a really nice piece of kit, gorgeous user interface, just a bit pricey and small hard drive.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
How is your music ripped? Do you purchase your music online from iTunes or do you buy the CD and rip it losslessly? I do know that the Arcam dock is meant to be one of the best, if a little dated in it's functionality and features now and it probably doesn't charge the latest ipods (My own dock doesn't!). Perhaps Arcam are working on a new one, I don't know. The wadia dock is meant to be one of the best around and the only one that outputs digitally from the ipod bypassing the on board DAC.

I have a couple of ipods but only use it as a mobile listening device with ear phones and never download music. I always buy the CD and rip it to FLAC (lossless)/convert to mp3 for use on my ipod. My music is streamed using a couple of Squeezebox classics in a multi-room setup. I have heard that the Apple equivalent, Airport Express should offer the same levels of sound quality but ultimately it will come down to the bitrate etc. of your music, which is just as important as the equipment being used.

The computer based music forum might turn up some more answers. Unfortunately digital music seems to get spread over the HiFi, WiFi, mp3/mp4 and computer based music forums, which is something that I personally think WHF could look at.

A

Anonymous

Will Harris: At the moment, you have to use HDMI + an Optical connection for the sound.

Do you ? I must have a very clever HDMI cable then....!ÿ

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura:is there a limit to the capabilities of bluetooth? i.e. would a chordette gem + iPhone be a high-end solution?

Only the newest iPhone 3GS is capable of Audio streaming via Bluetoot. Personally I haven't heard any A2DP devices in action so I'm not familiar with it's capabilities/credentials in a HIFI setup.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
SC:
Will Harris: At the moment, you have to use HDMI + an Optical connection for the sound.

Do you ? I must have a very clever HDMI cable then....!

Yeah, I'm considering picking one of these up as I'm got an expanding iTunes Lossless library growing on my Mac and the manual states that the HDMI should be used as the sole audio/video connection??

A

Anonymous

SC:

Do you ? I must have a very clever HDMI cable then....!ÿ

SC I thought the AppleTV only output analogue over HDMI and if you wanted a digital output you had to use the Optical connection. Am I wrong? John, how do you connect yours and what gives the best sound for you?

A

Anonymous

Yep...Sync your library across to the ATV (If you start exceeding the 160GB you can add a USB HD), hook a HDMI up to your AVR, job done....Nice interface on screen & convenience of Remote if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone...

In the grand scheme of things it sounds rubbish, but that's more a comment on the DACs in my current AV amp....All to be solved so very soon !

The only downside I can see of the ATV as a 'convenience' source is that cannot handle high-res audio content...

John Duncan

SC:
Yep...Sync your library across to the ATV (If you start exceeding the 160GB you can add a USB HD), hook a HDMI up to your AVR, job done....Nice interface on screen & convenience of Remote if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone...

In the grand scheme of things it sounds rubbish, but that's more a comment on the DACs in my current AV amp....All to be solved so very soon !

The only downside I can see of the ATV as a 'convenience' source is that cannot handle high-res audio content...

Sorry, you think the @TV sounds rubbish?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:SC:

I think the man already qualified that statement as a likely result of the DACs in his AMP.

A

Anonymous

HDMI carries 2 channel analogue as well as it's digital content. As far as I'm aware.

John, how is yours hooked up?

John Duncan

Tom Moreno:JohnDuncan:SC:

I think the man already qualified that statement as a likely result of the DACs in his AMP.

yeah soz, read that again...

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:HDMI carries 2 channel analogue as well as it's digital content. As far as I'm aware. John, how is yours hooked up?

There is a Legacy mode in HDMI that is capable of carrying 2 channels of analogue audio, but this mode is getting rarer in use nowadays. The fact that ATV will pass Dolby Digital over the HDMI suggests that it is definitely using the digital audio mode of the HDMI Spec.

A

Anonymous

So John, how are you connecting yours?

And are we clear that the ATV can stream digitally all the music that might be stored on it for decoding in a suitable amp?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
Tom Moreno:There is a Legacy mode in HDMI that is capable of carrying 2 channels of analogue audio

Well I'll be - you learn something new and all that!

I think it's purpose was mainly for compatibility with HDMI 1.0 equipment.

A

Anonymous

When my DVD / BluRay player is connected to the TV, the TV takes the analogue audio from the HDMI does it not? I thought all TVs picked up audio from disc players using the analogue signal. Obviously no use if you connect with an AV amp, but when the amp is off, the TV speakers use the analogue. I wouldn't call it legacy. It's vital. Or half the TVs connected with no AV amp would have no sound coming out of the TV.

John Duncan

Will Harris:So John, how are you connecting yours?

And are we clear that the ATV can stream digitally all the music that might be stored on it for decoding in a suitable amp?

See previous page:

"Optical output to DACMagic, from there to the Primare"

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:When my DVD / BluRay player is connected to the TV, the TV takes the analogue audio from the HDMI does it not? I thought all TVs picked up audio from disc players using the analogue signal. Obviously no use if you connect with an AV amp, but when the amp is off, the TV speakers use the analogue. I wouldn't call it legacy. It's vital. Or half the TVs connected with no AV amp would have no sound coming out of the TV.

I'm sorry the legacy mode is on the input side. It really depends on the tv you use. My Panasonic states in the manual that only HDMI 1 is compatible with analogue audio and this has to be turned on in the setup menus. My understanding is that the analogue compatibility channels are getting used less frequently and this may in fact be disappearing in HDMI 1.4, but don't quote me on that. It's conceivable though that if currently HDMI is using two entire pins solely for analogue audio traffic that's becoming redundant that they may reclaim these pins for the ethernet connectivity and whatever else they're going to be unleashing on us.

A

Anonymous

I can't see that happening, as it would make HDMI incompatible with too many existing machines. I thought 1.4 would introduce a new head and new number of pins. Muppets clearly couldn't get it right first time when setting the standard! Be surprised if they don't leapfrog ethernet and go straight to wireless in some form of fast format.

And John, thanks for the reply. Missed the post as it was the last on page one.

TRENDING THREADS