Arcam AVR 500 vs Pioneer LX83 for Home cinema

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

As you know im testing speakers at the moment and deciding on them for a new home cinema system (CM8, KEf Q900, GS20). I was all set to get myself the LX83 and then i saw an Arcam AVR500 Ex demo Receiver for £1400.

I have not sampled the AVR500 yet and just wanted to know what you guys thought of it. Is it better than the LX83? The price quite good!

Thanks in advance people.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Duaplex

The AVR500 is great sounding amp - not that far off the AVR600 - and to these ears, better than the LX83 for stereo. It is closer for AV, but the Arcam's presentation suits my taste better.

There is a big "but" however. Tread cautiously, as the AVR500 has had all the torture of the AVR600, with the extra problem of overheating. A fair amount of the earlier amps had to be returned to Arcam for a mod - which seems to have proved effective.

Getting a good one will leave you delighted, a bad one totally demented. Do your own research and go in with your eyes open.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You're not a mile away from AVR400 - just a thought. A helpful dealer that gives good support may prove invaluable - it was in my case.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well this dealer says to me the AVR500 is 50% better than the LX83 and HIm selling it to me for £1400 seems a snip. Second dealer to say that to me actually.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
Well this dealer says to me the AVR500 is 50% better than the LX83 and HIm selling it to me for £1400 seems a snip. Second dealer to say that to me actually.

Totally agree......if it's a goodin'. I know what I've been through with AVR600 (and it hasn't suffered from overheating). Only goodside - Arcam have been very helpful. Mine is now having to go back due to power supply problem.

Trouble is - nothing to touch it at half sensible money (IMO), so persevering is the only option.

Arcam makes some astonishingly sounding receivers, but of late, their quality control has been rather poor. People ended up tearing their hair off living with their products (AVR600/500). Even their blu-ray player is riddled with problems.

Get an assurance from the dealer that you should be able to return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Arcam makes some astonishingly sounding receivers, but of late, their quality control has been rather poor. People ended up tearing their hair off living with their products (AVR600/500). Even their blu-ray player is riddled with problems.

Get an assurance from the dealer that you should be able to return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

That's why I'm well on the way to being bald :D

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That's a good idea bigboss. I will ask them. I already slapped a deposit on it so changing my mind hopefully won't be an issue. Why are they hard to live with?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So should I get the LX83 then guys? I'm worried now because this place is in Nottingham and I'm in London, so it's a one trip thing. I would prefer to not have to lugg it all the back up there!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've just conducted a fascinating Group Test between the Pioneer 'LX83 and the Arcam AVR-400, plus latest Denon and Onkyo receivers also in that @£1500 price point. Results in our next issue - with subscribers from 7th April; in shops by 10th.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Clare please give a hint about this problem I'm having I am
Due to pick this up next week. I don't want to make a wrong choice as I value whathifis reviews highly. Should it be the lx83 or avr500?

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
We've just conducted a fascinating Group Test between the Pioneer 'LX83 and the Arcam AVR-400, plus latest Denon and Onkyo receivers also in that @£1500 price point. Results in our next issue - with subscribers from 7th April; in shops by 10th.

Oh you little tease :D

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
OK reading more into the Arcam500 and it seems to be riddled with more than over heating issues! Lack of ethernet, lack of 1.4a support. Arcam reports that they are releasing an add on for 1.4a and you can buy an ethernet card. Im yet to find that for sale anywhere except amazon that has a price tag of £440!!

Anybody else with some thoughts?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
OK reading more into the Arcam500 and it seems to be riddled with more than over heating issues! Lack of ethernet, lack of 1.4a support. Arcam reports that they are releasing an add on for 1.4a and you can buy an ethernet card. Im yet to find that for sale anywhere except amazon that has a price tag of £440!!

Anybody else with some thoughts?

Duaplex

Your eyes are now open which is good.

I'm not into telling people what to do, but if you want my advice, this is it:
- If you like the Arcam sound, anything else will be a compromise, and that could eat away at you.
- Don't rush. Wait for the WHF review if that will give piece of mind.
- Avoid AVR500 unless dealer is beside you and you can live with it's lack of spec (no pre-outs etc)
- Check out fully AVR400 (which should not quickly be dismissed) or ex-dem/2nd hand AVR600 from trustworthy source.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes I tried to source an ex dem avr600 they are still 3k...too pricey for me at the moment, although that would be a dream!

The dealear is up in Nottingham. So im going to drive up from london (130 miles) so it needs to be done right. Im going to listen to this AVR500 and see if it blows me away, the LX83 certainly ticked all my boxes when i demoed it.

It seems like this to me

- Arcam good receiver, loads of problems but i could be lucky

- Arcam Lacks functionality of other less pricey receivers

- Arcam AVR400 probably better for music than AV

- Pioneer no overheating

- Pioneer Functionailty in abundance

- Pioneer Ehternet and 1.4a HDMI

- Pioneer Beastly power

When i say it like that, it seems bonkers to buy anything else! So bottom line here is, Do i risk this Arcam or go with the safer option. That's the part that im in a pickle with. WHF can review it and it will give me some piece of mind, but you know how it is, everyone has an opinion.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That's about the height of it.

WHF reviews are a snapshot in time, and products can drop a star after ownership (AVR600).

There are some good AVR600s about from people that have traded up to pre/power version (rare).

I wouldn't part with mine despite problems.

Keep us updated

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Any particular reason you've chosen a dealership in Nottingham and not in nearer you in London? Can you demo the Arcam in London before making the journey?

I would have thought once you've bought it, any authorised Arcam dealer would be able to assist you if there are any problems in future?

Demo the Arcam and if it does sound 50% better than the Pioneer to you then any advice we give will fall on (Arcam tuned) deaf ears...same for the WHS&V review - their findings won't matter if you can't hear the difference or if the Arcam doesn't fir your requirements...

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Cofnchtr

Thank you for the response, the only reason I went for this dealer is because they had an Ex Demo Arcam for £1400. So it was worth the trip (or certainly that was my thinking at the time) Now im in a position where if i do not go for the Arcam then there is no point going to this dealer.

Now i have given half the money for the system already (deposit), but they wont be ordering anything in until monday. I am not sure if they will refund me? So I feel stuck at the moment.

You can just tell them that you want to compare the Arcam with the Pioneer first & then decide which receiver to go for. If you're buying the speakers from the dealer, then you might as well buy the receiver from Nottingham.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes those are my thoughts too. I actually got off the phone from them now and told them the exact same thing. While im up there I will compare the AVR400, AVR500 and Lx83 then report back my findings.

Is a race against time with the Pioneer, the offer of the free BD Player ends on the 31st!

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

If it's 'ex-demo' they don't have to order anything? The money paid could go solely towards the speakers (new and to be ordered?).

If you're ordering speakers and going to pick them up you could demo the amps locally (local branch of dealership?) and confirm before the 31st deadline for the free BD player.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have received some very sound advice on this thread - I think you know yourself exactly what to do - although a little reassurance always helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts