Hi,

My current setup is -

Arcam AVR100

Arcam DV88 (now only cd playing)

Monitor Audio RS6 AV

Sky HD

Sony BDP350

Sony KDL40W4500

I think it is time to updgrade the AVR100. I like the sound of the Arcam kit but not sure I can bring myself to pay for an AVR600 or 500. Music and movies are of equal importance. If possible I would like to pay less than £1,000 on a replacement for the AVR100. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Fisherman1:

Hi,

My current setup is -

Arcam AVR100

Arcam DV88 (now only cd playing)

Monitor Audio RS6 AV

Sky HD

Sony BDP350

Sony KDL40W4500

I think it is time to updgrade the AVR100. I like the sound of the Arcam kit but not sure I can bring myself to pay for an AVR600 or 500. Music and movies are of equal importance. If possible I would like to pay less than £1,000 on a replacement for the AVR100. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Hi Fisherman1

I think you should consider Yamaha AV amps as some of the models are available at attractive prices. Around £1k look at the RX-V3900 (RRP £1500) however if you are prepared to stretch your budget than also consider the superb DSP-Z7 which are available around £1.5k (RRP £1960).

Imo the DSP-Z7's offers superior performance with movies than the AVR600 although the AVR600 betters the DSP-Z7 in stereo however this two channel difference is not worth the £1.5k extra at RRP (£1960 - £3500).

I believe the DSP-Z7 to be the finest VFM AV amplifier currently available on the market irrespective of price (even at it's RRP of £1960).

Besides which Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = great match (time after time)
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Fisherman1

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Rick,

Thanks for your ideas. I will audition the Yamahas. I had noticed some of the deals available on the RX-V3900. In your opinion is it worth having a listen to the Yamaha RX-V2065?

Fisherman1:

Rick,

Thanks for your ideas. I will audition the Yamahas. I had noticed some of the deals available on the RX-V3900. In your opinion is it worth having a listen to the Yamaha RX-V2065?

Hi Fisherman1

Your welcome.

The RX-V2065 is an excellent amplifier however the RX-V3900 is simply a no brainer as it now available for less than the RRP of the RX-V2065.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hey Rick - want an "ear popping" shock?! I've got an Arcam AVR100 and was never very impressed with the sound...I thought it was the weak spot in my system (ProAc speakers, CD72 Cd Player)....I was just about to get rid of it.....anyway, I just bought an Apple TV and connected it through the optical port on the back (VCR digital)....I am shocked how good it is....it sounds better than any CD.

Get an Apple TV, rip your CD's to harddrive (go lossless format if you like - but very difficult to tell the difference)...then stream the music perfectly down the optical into the Arcam....its like I have a new amp!

Enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts