Arcam AVR888/P777 any good?

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi there

I have a Yamaha RXA 3010 with Musical Fidelity XAS 100 on mono block front duties. I am using Monitor Audio Pl200 up front, plc150 for centre, GSFX on rears and PLW15 for sub.

I am contemplating upgrading to a true pre-amp solution and limit my box count by at least one! Does any body have any thoughts or experience with comparing these types of systems I know my set up is quite unique but I would be interested to hear from people that have outsourced amp sections and moved to a true pre-amp and especially the P777 - I think I would benefit from all channel amps being from the same manufacturer, I am interested to see how this would trade off from the mono block currently in place.

I know that Arcam can be a little buggy - although I believe that is fixed now and I appreciate that I wont have the latest 4K or Atmos capability and some features may be limited. Its an upgrade in sound quality that I am looking for.

Currently 50% movies and 50% music! Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated. Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. It's a stunning combination, especially if you like good 2 channel reproduction...it also works well with MA.

As you have stated....make sure it has all the recent mods.

The AVR750 is also worth considering.

On Thursday, I hope to be be going to an evening where Arcam are demonstrating their very latest AV amps...presumably with Atmos etc I'll know more after the event.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. It's a stunning combination, especially if you like good 2 channel reproduction...it also works well with MA.

As you have stated....make sure it has all the recent mods.

The AVR750 is also worth considering.

On Thursday, I hope to be be going to an evening where Arcam are demonstrating their very latest AV amps...presumably with Atmos etc I'll know more after the event.
You beat me to it Cno. Was just about to suggest to Sutch if he can wait for the new patch of Arcam AV amps. I got the one dwn from the 750, the 450, but so far no problems what so ever. If am not mistaking the new Arcam Av amps should out early nxt year.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
You beat me to it Cno. Was just about to suggest to Sutch if he can wait forhttp://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-reference-thread?page=23 the new patch of Arcam AV amps. I got the one dwn from the 750, the 450, but so far no problems what so ever. If am not mistaking the new Arcam Av amps should out early nxt year.
I understand that Arcam will have their A29/39/49 & Pre Power as well as their new Solo Movie and Solo Music "One Box" systems. They will be paired with Kef's slim T Series/LS50s/R Series and Refs.

Their new Atmos AV amp will be demoed with the R Series.

AudioQuest will be there to talk about the importance of cabling

Wine and nibbles will help the whole experience go down smoothly...and "The Leader of the Opposition" will be accompanying me, to make sure I remain on the straight and narrow!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:
You beat me to it Cno. Was just about to suggest to Sutch if he can wait forhttp://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/kef-reference-thread?page=23 the new patch of Arcam AV amps. I got the one dwn from the 750, the 450, but so far no problems what so ever. If am not mistaking the new Arcam Av amps should out early nxt year.
I understand that Arcam will have their A29/39/49 & Pre Power as well as their new Solo Movie and Solo Music "One Box" systems. They will be paired with Kef's slim T Series/LS50s/R Series and Refs.

Their new Atmos AV amp will be demoed with the R Series.

AudioQuest will be there to talk about the importance of cabling

Wine and nibbles will help the whole experience go down smoothly...and "The Leader of the Opposition" will be accompanying me, to make sure I remain on the straight and narrow!
Ha ha funny. Yes you need to be on the straight & narrow before you get carried away Cno.. Cn't wait for your report back after the show case.

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks chaps, I appreciate the comments. I think that my mind is made up and the jump will be made. The only question is whether it will be the AV888 and P777 or AVR750. I think I still want to keep the pre-amp section removed from the Amp so might take that route and I can always upgrade to the AV950 when funds allow.

Thanks again, Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts