Arcam Alpha 9 vs AUDIOLAB 8000A POWER

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is the audiolab significantly more powerful/will it run cooler, the guy i sold my valdus 500's and arcam alpha 9 to has blown up the alpha in a pile of smoke listening to drum and bass music at the 3am volume setting, to be honest given the abuse their original owner gave them combined with mine and now the thrashing he's giving them im amazed they havent blown yet....or should he just get a behringer a500?

A

Anonymous

Power doesn't make a speaker much louder. There must be something wrong with his ears if he needs to play stuff at that volume with a full volume source (cd player, not ipod etc)! A good demonstration of this, get an audio power meter and run your speakers at a constant 20w output, you'll go deaf.

The Audiolab wont run any cooler, infact I remember my Audiolab kit actually ran quite warm and I never took the volume over 10 o'clock with the CD player. If he wants something that will play loud all day, he'd be better looking into that 500W slimline power amp that Yamaha make. I believe it's called the MXD1, given it's designed to run at that power rating, seems like it'd be more durable power wise for what he wants.

A

Anonymous

Monstrous said:
Power doesn't make a speaker much louder. There must be something wrong with his ears if he needs to play stuff at that volume with a full volume source (cd player, not ipod etc)! A good demonstration of this, get an audio power meter and run your speakers at a constant 20w output, you'll go deaf.

The Audiolab wont run any cooler, infact I remember my Audiolab kit actually ran quite warm and I never took the volume over 10 o'clock with the CD player. If he wants something that will play loud all day, he'd be better looking into that 500W slimline power amp that Yamaha make. I believe it's called the MXD1, given it's designed to run at that power rating, seems like it'd be more durable power wise for what he wants.

thanks a lot, ill tell him to get a pro/post production power amp. it was loud enough he just blew up the amp...it was at a party

A

Anonymous

I hope you showed that for a laugh and not as a serious point?

A

Anonymous

in light of that test i see no reason not to get the behringer...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
3am volume setting? Awesome, never had mine (Audiolab 8000A oddly enough) past 12 o'clock, and that was jolly [expletive deleted] loud!!
smiley-wink.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most amplifiers will be kicking out their maximum output at the 12 o'clock position, so I'm not surprised he blew the Arcam. The Valdus do dip to 4ohms in the bass, so do become a more awkward load when things get going. This wouldn't have helped either.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Most amplifiers will be kicking out their maximum output at the 12 o'clock position, so I'm not surprised he blew the Arcam. The Valdus do dip to 4ohms in the bass, so do become a more awkward load when things get going. This wouldn't have helped either.

this is one part I really ont understand, if its kicking out its maximum output, why when you turn it up more does it get louder. At 3am the woofers were jumping twice as far as they were at 12am, and the mids/highs were approaching club levels rather than those of a loud hifi.

i personally ran it at 1am for long periods but played one song at max once and it was fine, the more you turn it up the louder it got.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Valdus do dip to 4ohms in the bass.

specs say 140w rms into 4 ohms...would have thought that would be enough...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts