Audiolab 8000A & P Bi-Amped vs 8000C or Q & P Pre/ Power combo?

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
As per title and my signature I'm trying to decide what may be my next best move, dictated by the fact I may need to amp my kitchen speakers separately.

Currently I have an Audiolab 8000A, with it's pre outs connected to an 8000P powering my Monitor Audio GR20's.

One the switched speaker terminals on the 8000A are the Kef Reference Midel 102's in the kitchen.

Due to some possible room movements etc, I may soon have to have an amp in the kitchen with the Kefs.

Thus I think I have a few choices

1) Buy a new amp for the Kefs in the kitchen, and free up my existing 8000A to bi amp the GR20's in the lounge.

2) buy an 8000C for the lounge, and use the 8000A in the kitchen with the Kefs.

3) as per 2, but with an 8000Q

I really like the 8000A with the Kefs, so either way I would have one of them running the Kefs, so question really I suppose is whether bi-amping the GR20s with an A/P combo would be better than a C or Q with a P pre/power combo.

Hope that makes sense!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For pure sound quality, I would go the dedicated pre-amp route, as I've usually found that dedicated pre-amps will outperform an integrated amplifier acting as a pre. Of course, to what degree is down to the individual. A dedicated power amplifier will get more out of your KEF Reference.

If you like the use of the 8000A's tone controls, then keep this as your pre.

nlanks

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply David.

Is there much difference between the C & Q in your experience?

If not, then its really tone controls vs remote control I think. Plus 8000Cs seem to a bit cheaper s/h

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q was a cleaner sounding pre to many, and would be considered more 'accurate', if you like. Either will sound good, but if you were choosing between an 8000A as a pre and an 8000Q, the Q should sound the better balanced option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts