arcam alpha 9 and 9p amps v cambridge audio azur 840 a v1

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
zappa 100:How do my 9 and 10 year old amps(in bi amp mode) compare to the mark 1 version of the cambridge amp?

I have the original 840A and it's a brilliant amp. I've not listened to your Arcams but if you can still get the 840 for £399 from RS, do so, you will not be disappointed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:igglebert:Good imagination Yes, although I own the 840A and love it, I can see beyond the end of my nose - when Arcam is concerned, Joel cannot.

Not entirely true, but biamped Arcams are very very good. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 840 if you get it as the 9 and 9P are getting old now.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Nothing wrong with a bit of brand passion, eh, Joel
emotion-5.gif

I've not heard the 9's biamped but I would suspect the CA is going to be a more detailed and clear sound (as pointed out!). Don't get me wrong, the Arcs are still an excellent pairing.

A

Anonymous

My Alpha 9 (admittedly without 9P) does not sound "very good", just inoffensive. I thought my old Denon DRA-375 was much more musically involving in retrospect. The main problem is that timing is poor and bass output is missing in action.

The Cambridge would probably be a step (never heard them), but why not hear other brands aswell, like Naim or Cyrus? In other words something exciting instead of flat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts