Arcam A5

podknocker

CD5 £699
ST5 £799
A5 £749
A15 £1099
A25 £1499

Nearly £2500 with the cables and then you need speakers.

I think this is a lot for an entry level starter system.

Again, the first 2 units combined as one, for £749?

Then the £749 again for the cheapest 50WPC amp.

A more powerful amp at twice the power might be useful.

I don't think Arcam need 3 amps in this range.

Last edited:

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
CD5 £699
ST5 £799
A5 £749
A15 £1099
A25 £1499

I don't know I don't think that's necessarily the way I see it, I mean I think they introduced the models they have at various price points to appeal to different tastes and ultimately to different markets. What Hi-Fi has demonstrated through their initial review that both the A-5 and the A-15 are capable performers and truly you couldn't go wrong with either. Personally I'm not really into CDs, so buying the CD player wouldn't necessarily be on my want list, conversely I don't really stream although when I do I already have a capable streamer.

My biggest thing I like about the new range is the fact that the amplifier use two-way Bluetooth. So few amplifiers, at least hi-fi amplifiers use two-way, matter of fact NAD is the only company that I can think of that actually has implemented this type of design. And I know it sounds silly, I mean I have a nice system already but I like the versatility of the idea. Like I don't have to worry about plugging wired headphones in to listen to music I can just use my Google buds that I already have for late night listening and more personal listening sessions. And like I said to me that is the biggest advantage and one of the key features of the new amps to me.

Plus I've always found I enjoy the sound of arcam products. I've had basically every amp of the alpha series as well as I've tried the newer FMJ series which was fantastic and I've listened to but haven't personally owned the newer SA series.

I mean I'm in the US so value for dollar between the British pound and the usd doesn't always translate very well, Rega case in point, that said though I think for the 699 that they're asking in US dollars is not bad considering the pedigree and versatility and ultimate value that the A5 represents. I know as soon as one is available for me to buy I'm going to buy it, I've been needing to pick up a replacement amp for a office type system for a while after my old sansui went kaput.

Guy4510

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Interesting product but no HDMI connection is a big negative for me, and I'm sure others who want the most elegant connection to their TV?! Surprised infact that What Hi-Fi has given this model and it's bigger sibling 5 stars for features with this imo rather large omission..

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Interesting product but no HDMI connection is a big negative for me, and I'm sure others who want the most elegant connection to their TV?! Surprised infact that What Hi-Fi has given this model and it's bigger sibling 5 stars for features with this imo rather large omission..
Is it really that big of an omission?, I mean it does have optical or tosink as I believe you guys are want to say. Personally I don't hook my TV to my stereo system so I don't see it as being an issue, matter of fact I know a lot of people that do not do that, and while I see an HDMI input as advantageous I don't see it as a necessity.

I simply have a really nice Sony sound bar that takes care of my television audio needs, and again if that wasn't enough seemingly, I would simply hook optical out into the A5 or the a15 or what have you.

manicm

The Cambridge Audio CX61 is about the same price, so what exactly are you complaining about? Should the A5 have been half the price?
CD5 £699
ST5 £799
A5 £749
A15 £1099
A25 £1499

podknocker

The amps are appropriately priced to be honest, considering the competition.

The ST5 is all fresh air inside and they could easily have put the streaming stuff inside the CD5 and charged the same as the streamer.

A £699 CD player and a £799 streamer is a joke.

I have an Audiolab Omnia with streamer, CD player and 50wpc amp, for £1599 (£800 after trade in)

Last edited:

WillisPagac

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Arcam's A5 stereo amplifier is a fantastic piece of equipment that offers a thoroughly modern and fully equipped experience. It truly delivers exceptional performance for its price point.

Gap•Dragom

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I am looking for a stereo power either without a pre-amp or an input that allows me to bypass the pre-amp like the old NAD 3020 or 3040. Anyone have any suggestions? I have only been able to find one.

TRENDING THREADS