Arcam A5 vs Cambridge CXA-81

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site
Can anyone offer some advice on how the Arcam A5 compares to the Cambridge CXA-81 ?. To replace a Pioneer A400 and pair with B&W 606 S2 and CXN-V2.

Can anyone offer some advice on how the Arcam A5 compares to the Cambridge CXA-81 ?. To replace a Pioneer A400 and pair with B&W 606 S2 and CXN-V2.
The A5 is quite new so I guess pretty much the choice between the two will depend on what functions you require.
I'd question if you need a DAC in the amplifier itself although the CXA81 might offer better synergy and is obviously more powerful.

Silverleaf

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I had to make a similar choice last week. My old setup was an Arcam A28 analog amplifier, paired with a Sonos Connect and an Arcam rDAC. I was thinking of the new Radia series, but I ended up with a Arcam SA30 which is brilliant and on sale over here (€1999,-). It combines a 120W class G amplifier with an excellent streamer.

Reactions: Al ears
I had to make a similar choice last week. My old setup was an Arcam A28 analog amplifier, paired with a Sonos Connect and an Arcam rDAC. I was thinking of the new Radia series, but I ended up with a Arcam SA30 which is brilliant and on sale over here (€1999,-). It combines a 120W class G amplifier with an excellent streamer.
However he already has a streamer it would seem....
Question not exactly answered..

Sorry, not much help. IMHO it'll depend which amp will sound the best with the B&Ws -- they can divide opinion. Bear in mind modern day amps can be more revealing, especially in the HFs, which can be the Achilles heel of the B&Ws.

Based on that it's always recommended to home demo if poss or at least shop demo.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
i bought the A5 purely based on the What HiFi review. using a Cambridge Audio MXN10 through some Acoustic Energy 301 speakers. sounds great to me, and the bluetooth sounds surprisingly good. was also tempted by the CXA-81 but i was swayed by the looks of the Arcam, must be honest! as well as the great review of course. pretty sure my non-expert ears would be happy with either amp.

Last edited:

matthewpianist

What improvement(s) are you seeking?

I'm not sure you're going to improve very much at all on the Pioneer A400 with amps of that price level, and if you don't need extra functionality I would recommend considering this carefully. Book a demo at RS, take your Pioneer to compare with the Arcam and CA, preferably with B&Ws and a CXN.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site

I'm not sure you're going to improve very much at all on the Pioneer A400 with amps of that price level, and if you don't need extra functionality I would recommend considering this carefully. Book a demo at RS, take your Pioneer to compare with the Arcam and CA, preferably with B&Ws and a CXN.
that's interesting. what price point would you need to go to in order to achieve a significant jump in sound quality?

matthewpianist

that's interesting. what price point would you need to go to in order to achieve a significant jump in sound quality?

Personally, I'd want to really feel I was missing something to upgrade at all. The Pioneer is one of the better amps I've had, and I've had some pretty expensive ones.

If it were me and I was convinced of the need to upgrade, I'd be looking for a substantial step up, perhaps the Rega Elex MkIV or a Denon PMA1700NE.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I haven’t heard either amp but I do own the B & W 606 S2. I think they’re terrific speakers but I would urge caution partnering them with Cambridge Audio. It will be exciting and lively, but I suspect fatique will set in as they’re both prone to an excitable presentation. Your ears may say different, though. An audition is the only way forward.

I haven’t heard either amp but I do own the B & W 606 S2. I think they’re terrific speakers but I would urge caution partnering them with Cambridge Audio. It will be exciting and lively, but I suspect fatique will set in as they’re both prone to an excitable presentation. Your ears may say different, though. An audition is the only way forward.
I mentioned a similar thing about the B&W presentation. Even the more expensive models need careful partnering.

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site

Good question and it is hard to put my finger on it, maybe I could describe it as 'more power', 'more depth' or 'wider soundstage'. By and large I am happy but one thing niggles me. I listen to Radio Paradise quite a bit and while the music sounds great, the spoken voice sounds off - somehow tinny. Radio 4 is similar. I don;t know if that is rooted in the source microphone or something else but I can;t help thinking that a good system should mean that spoken word should sound like the person is in the room with you and this isn't it.

The Pioneer is obviously old and I had to have it repaired a few years ago (one channel was breaking up...think it was capacitors) so I have been thinking if a newer amp might fill that ill defined gap I am trying to fill.

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site
Personally, I'd want to really feel I was missing something to upgrade at all. The Pioneer is one of the better amps I've had, and I've had some pretty expensive ones.

If it were me and I was convinced of the need to upgrade, I'd be looking for a substantial step up, perhaps the Rega Elex MkIV or a Denon PMA1700NE.
Curious as to how a Rega Elex or a Denon is viewed as a substantial set up but a CXA81 isn't. The CXA81 is currently £800 (reduced from £1000) on Amazon and outputs 80W. The Rega Elex is £1200 an outputs 72W while the Denon is bit more expensive at about £1400 (but seems poorly stocked) and also outputs 80W. I am not disputing that they may well be better as I have heard them. I am in Ireland and opportunities to audition are scant.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
It‘s your decision, but that’s a lot of money for an amp to drive the 606 S2’s. I would recommend to seek out a used Rega Elex-R (previous version, not the new one). I use one to drive mine and it gives all the attributes you feel you are missing. It’s a brilliant amp and can be found used for about £600.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts