Arcam a38 integrated amp, which speakers will match?

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have an arcam a38 integrated amp. I would like to ask you about speakers that will match this.

It could be monitors or floor stands. I know about Bowers & Wilkins but if them then which model?

Bartez said:
Hi

I have an arcam a38 integrated amp. I would like to ask you about speakers that will match this.

It could be monitors or floor stands. I know about Bowers & Wilkins but if them then which model?

Hi Bartez

I would be grateful if you could help with the following -

What source component/s and speakers do you currently use?

Interconnects and speaker cables are?

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Your general listening level?

Your budget?

Your impression/thoughts of your current system are?

With a change of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
hi Musicraft

Please see my answers below.

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Bartez

- NAD 320, NAD 525, Acusti Energy Evo 1

- Chord Crimson; Speaker cable not sure, currently Atlas Basic

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

- Rock, Pop, King Crimson

The size of your room?

- 20m^2

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

- Distance to wall:0,5m; Left Corner. Tv between speakers on a low (0,5m) desk

-2-3m

Listening distance?

-2 m

- nothing

- passing beginner

Your budget?

-2000 euro

- Good power, musical, not enough details, small stereo, small depth of the sound (probably you know what I mean)

With a change of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

- More details, big stereo and depth (as much as this amp can provide)

All the best

- Thank you very much

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My suggestion would be to try speakers from Triangle, Monitor Audio and Kef. As mentioned above, Focal would also work nicely.

Cno

Bartez said:
hi Musicraft

Please see my answers below.

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Bartez

- NAD 320, NAD 525, Acusti Energy Evo 1

- Chord Crimson; Speaker cable not sure, currently Atlas Basic

- Rock, Pop, King Crimson

The size of your room?

- 20m^2

- Distance to wall:0,5m; Left Corner. Tv between speakers on a low (0,5m) desk

-2-3m

Listening distance?

-2 m

- nothing

- passing beginner

Your budget?

-2000 euro

- Good power, musical, not enough details, small stereo, small depth of the sound (probably you know what I mean)

- More details, big stereo and depth (as much as this amp can provide)

All the best

- Thank you very much

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Bartez

I feel Monitor Audio's GX200 speakers should do the trick for you. Having said this and in addition to the other makes also mentioned ATC's SCM40 monitors are also worth a look as i've got clients who are happily using these with their A38's. Either way please try and audition these speakers at home.

Btw, as good as the C525BEE is however the A38 and the speakers mentioned can benefit from an even higher quality source. For eg. you could hold on to the C525BEE and add a DAC such as the one from Rega. This DAC which will not only give better performance from your cd's but will give you the option of using other digital media. Alternatively an all in one unit such as Audiolab's 8200CD is also worth a look. Anyway something to bear in mind.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Bartez said:
Hi

CM9, or for a smaller room CM8. You could go the sub/standmount route (as I currently am), and look at a pair of CM1s with a PV1.

A

Anonymous

Witht hat amp; lots of choices IMO

What's your overall budget?

I also agree that the likes of the Rega or Arcam DAC would make for a better overall system keeping the NAD in situ...

Speakers: PMC GB1i's, Neat Motive 2's, Spendor A5's, B&W CM7 or 8's (or the CM5's for standmounts), Monitor Audio RX6's (or RX2's for the standmount option)... There's lots!

Are you able to demo? If so do you have an idea of what make of speakers you're able to hear?

T

the record spot

Sticking a budget of 2000 Euros for a pair of speakers onto your current setup suggests a bit of an imbalance.

You could look at active speakers of which there are many options although you'd look to shift your amp on. Does the A38 offer a DAC as well or is it a plain vanilla integrated? A NAD 545 CDP with speakers of that price would be a bit of a mix IMO.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Sticking a budget of 2000 Euros for a pair of speakers onto your current setup suggests a bit of an imbalance.

You could look at active speakers of which there are many options although you'd look to shift your amp on. Does the A38 offer a DAC as well or is it a plain vanilla integrated? A NAD 545 CDP with speakers of that price would be a bit of a mix IMO.

Not with a decent DAC; the NAD transports are very good indeed and would work superbly with the Arcam amp and decent speakers

Having seen your budget; my money would be on the likes of the PMC GB1is, Neat Motive 2's, Spendor A5's or maybe some 2nd hand Monitor Audio GS20's or 60's and then a decent DAC (i.e. Rega or Arcam)
smiley-cool.gif

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for all inputs.

NAD 525 is a temp solution. I will go for a disent DAC but I would like to get one that gets 24 bit/96 through usb and there are not that many on the market currently but I'm pretty sure they will come.

I was thinking more about my room space and I now I'm not sure if I can go for a full speakers.

What is the price level of the speakers for the arcam a38? I can also buy arcam p38 and connect spekers in bi-amping mode.

So what max price and also some examples of stand/bookshelf monitor speakers would get max from my arcam a38 and future p38? I just want to know which level of prices is the max and going above makes no sence. I would probably be able to spend 4500 euro on speakers.

Bartez said:

NAD 525 is a temp solution. I will go for a disent DAC but I would like to get one that gets 24 bit/96 through usb and there are not that many on the market currently but I'm pretty sure they will come.

I was thinking more about my room space and I now I'm not sure if I can go for a full speakers.

What is the price level of the speakers for the arcam a38? I can also buy arcam p38 and connect spekers in bi-amping mode.

So what max price and also some examples of stand/bookshelf monitor speakers would get max from my arcam a38 and future p38? I just want to know which level of prices is the max and going above makes no sence. I would probably be able to spend 4500 euro on speakers.

Pretty much as mentioned: PMC DB1is (Approx £1,000 new), Neat Motive 3 (£900 approx), B&W 805s (Approx £1,600) or even MA PL100 (£2,500 approx).

T

the record spot

Bartez said:

They're already here: Emotiva XDA-1 will give you 24/192 on all inputs, USB included. £349 from Item Audio (or your local dealer - see the Emotiva website for more info). Rega and Arcam are popular in the UK, raved about in the UK, but, thankfully, aren't the only two manufacturers in the UK. They're good brands and been around a while but there are more out there.

Bartez said:

Well, it's your money and I won't tell you how to spend it, but I'd spend a little time working out what you want and taking it from there. I get the feeling you're shooting in the dark a little - "what level of prices is the max"...more to the point, what kind of sound do you like to hear? Would you prefer accuracy or colour? There's no right or wrong, but ultimately a well designed product, should deliver an accurate representation of the music, else it's going to suffer somewhere along the line. If you know what you're loooking for specifically, then it helps to simplify the exercise somewhat.

Bartez said:

Hi Bartez

Your welcome.

Monitor Audio Platinum PL100's or ATC's SCM19 monitors are worth considering.

Btw, the P38 will certainly help in providing greater control over speakers therefore a worthwhile uplift in performance.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Bartez said:
Hi, just to update. I bought B&W CM8. Sounds great.

Congrats

Heard these recently with an ex-demo Arcam A32 and the P35 power amp combo being fed by a Rega Saturn

I was mightly impressed
smiley-cool.gif

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of cd player... Is the aracam CD37 worth to invest in? Seems to be a good match for arcam a38 but I don't know.Is it worth to invest money in CD player these days? I have a lot of CDs and will probably keep buying more untill they totally disapear from music shops.

Bartez

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of cd player... Is the aracam CD37 worth to invest in? Seems to be a good match for arcam a38 but I don't know.Is it worth to invest money in CD player these days? I have a lot of CDs and will probably keep buying more untill they totally disapear from music shops.

Bartez said:

Yes...

Don't dismiss either Exposure 3010S or perhaps Leema Stream.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think after my listening session this week with 85w+ amps the new Kef q900s would be awesome on the end of your kit. Make sure you have enough room for them. We even put the B&W cm8s against them and they won for purists. The B&W cm8s would have been good for a purely hiphop and drum n bass session though.

iceman16

Bartez said:
Hi

Your arcam a38 is a great amp.I've demoed this with b&w cm8 and pmc gb1i and it sounds very good with warmth and detailed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts