Arcam A19 + KEF R300 performance

Pavel_V

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Recently I decided to buy stereo system. I didn't had much time to choose, so I decided to buy something "safe", that's most people like and what is recommended by media. So my system is: KEF R300 speaker, Arcam A19 amp and Arcam UDP411 player, all cables Atlas Equator, mk3 and audio 2mm. The problem is that currently I'm not happy with high frequencies. For rock records, in my opinion, drums - cymbals are played very muffled. System sounds like it's covered with blanket. Is this standard behavior for Arcam and/or KEF? Can the problem be in cables? As I understand system positioning shouldn't affect highs very much. Thanks!

iceman16

Pavel_V said:
Hi, Recently I decided to buy stereo system. I didn't had much time to choose, so I decided to buy something "safe", that's most people like and what is recommended by media. So my system is: KEF R300 speaker, Arcam A19 amp and Arcam UDP411 player, all cables Atlas Equator, mk3 and audio 2mm. The problem is that currently I'm not happy with high frequencies. For rock records, in my opinion, drums - cymbals are played very muffled. System sounds like it's covered with blanket. Is this standard behavior for Arcam and/or KEF? Can the problem be in cables? As I understand system positioning shouldn't affect highs very much. Thanks!

I found the Kef r series too laid back and unexciting with Arcam A19. You can try LS50 or Focal Aria 906.

rainsoothe

iceman16 said:
Pavel_V said:

I found the Kef r series too laid back and unexciting with Arcam A19. You can try LS50 or Focal Aria 906.

+1. Either switch the Arcam to a Naim Nait 5si (the Creek lacks warmth and bass oomph imo), or the Kefs to Focal Aria 906. For what it's worth, I'd do the latter, since the Arias are very versatile speakers, which can do all sorts of genres of music, and pair well with loads of amps.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Pavel_V said:

How long have you had them? Have you played about with speaker placement? Are they firing directly out from the walls or are they toed in? Have you tried the supplied bungs? If you take the centre part of the bung out and just use the outer ring in the port, it calms bass output a little which brings out mid and treble detail. I've never heard your cables so I can't comment on them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
if you have only just got them i would say give them time to bed in, maybe a month or so. then report back! 
This is sensible advice, unless the system is so new, that the dealer would allow items to be exchanged for little or no loss.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A small thing to try, is remove the Grilles (if you haven't already done so).

You could also try more toe-in towards your seating position.

As mentioned, you have a smooth source/amp going into slightly dark sounding speakers (which ideally need an amp with more clout). This can leave a sound that lacks excitement.

You need to add "bite" to your system, which may require a change of component:

- You can go for more neutral speakers like Focal/Triangle
- You can change the amp for something like Creek or possibly Rega
- You can try a different source from the likes of Chord or Audiolab, which can be in the form of a DAC.
- IME. You can tweak the sound with cables, but this is the least attractive of your possible options, as you've already got decent ones from Atlas.

IMO. You need to set aside enough time to work through the options, especially if you want to get it right for your taste. Mistakes made can be expensive.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I've heard the Kef R300 with the Arcam A19 connected with audioquest cables and it sounded to me very good. Great bass, vocals were very good. Loved the set. Only at that time not the budget to buy it.

As said before: Give your set and yourself time to get used to it. Play around with positioning and let the speakers run in.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
iceman16 said:
rainsoothe said:
Esra said:
I would change the Arcam for a NAD 326Bee and save some money.

That would actually make matters worse with the warm and laid back Kefs.

+1 You should be looking at a more "exciting" and lively amp for the Kef-r series to balance and off course your room acoustics matters.

The Nad is a more exciting and lively amp than the Arcam and on top of that it will drive the R300 much better as it has much more dynamic power.Go and listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts