Arcam A18 + P35?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm new to this community. Looks like a great place to learn.

I'm in the states. I have an Arcam A18 with an rDAC, pushing a pair of B&W 683's with a new REL T9 subwoofer.

My problem is the room is irregular shaped, open on two sides and even with the new T9, the system feels underpowered or unexciting anyway.

I have an opportunity to pick up a used Arcam P35 power amp for a reasonable price and I'm wondering if this will to the trick to bring some snap to the sound quality and do a better job of filling that irregular room.

thanks

David in Texas

Hi and welcome.

As most will state I'm a huge Arcam fan and will defend the brands if totally justified. The one criticism of the brand is they not the most powerful amps of all-time. Yes, Arcam, unless you have sympathetic speakers, will flourish with a power amp. However, I do think the P35 will be an overkill. I'd certainly look at DIVA P75 or P80, generally found regulary on auction sites.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, pp

A

Anonymous

Thanks PP. I've noticed in the A18 manual that the P38 is suggested as a bi-amp addition to the A18. I'm not sure I understand the concept of 'gain-matching' but I'm guessing it means that the 100w power amp and 50w A18 would be somehow balanced in a bi-amp mode so as not to overpower the speakers?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, in the past I bi-amped an Arcam A70/P38 and they integrated fine.

Arcams seem to respond very well to bi-amping. IME the step-up was the most cost-effective upgrade, ever: my setup just sounded more effortless/room-filling and separation/detail gains were heeoooge, while bass became much tighter and more punchy.

YMMV, but if you can arrange a home demo - definitely go for it :)

6th.replicant said:
FWIW, in the past I bi-amped an Arcam A70/P38 and they integrated fine.

Arcams seem to respond very well to bi-amping. IME the step-up was the most cost-effective upgrade, ever: my setup just sounded more effortless/room-filling and separation/detail gains were heeoooge, while bass became much tighter and more punchy.

YMMV, but if you can arrange a home demo - definitely go for it :)

Concur totally. Any of their power amps will integrate nicely. Just, for me, a P38 or P35 will be somewhat of an overkill. You'd probably get the same or similar results from cheaper DIVA power amps.

troubledog said:
Thanks PP. I've noticed in the A18 manual that the P38 is suggested as a bi-amp addition to the A18. I'm not sure I understand the concept of 'gain-matching' but I'm guessing it means that the 100w power amp and 50w A18 would be somehow balanced in a bi-amp mode so as not to overpower the speakers?

AFAIK, the new FMJ range only has one power amp the P38.

Edit - apologies: Should've said the P38 is only one from current range. All other power amps are discontinued.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts